Esteemed Contributor

Re: One of the oddest things about this time!

@Kachina624 What is a flapper? I have no idea what this could be....I guess I thought a flapper was some kind of skirt from the 1920s but I don't think that is what you meant. 

Esteemed Contributor

This week they put a big jug of Tide in my order.  Swear I almost pet it out in the garage.

Once you accept that avenues are closed off, everything is exciting.

Next week I do my Amazon order and am drooling over what color tweezer to order 🤣

Respected Contributor

DH and I have become addicted to playing Scrabble every other night. 🤓

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've learned how much I love having someone else do my grocery shopping and I just pick it up.  It never had much entertainment value for me.

Years ago, when I bought my first house, my gf brought me a flapper and showed me how to change it.  Great housewarming gift that has saved me a fortune.

What is a flapper @Kachina624?

Honored Contributor

@happycat A flapper is a part of the toilet. I can't explain it but do a 'net search.

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

Definitely took extraordinary joy in stopping my toilet tank from running. The rubber "flapper seal" had disintegrated a bit and no longer sealed the hole when the tank was full. So it leaked and ran a few seconds at odd intervals, wasting water and driving me nuts.

I took a photo of the whole assembly in the tank, making sure to show the culprit part. I showed it to the hardware store guy and he knew exactly what part to sell me. I got home, watched a YouTube how-to to get an idea of technique and tackled this fairly simple challenge. My first toilet repair!!

I was too concerned about contagion to have a plumber or handyman come into the house during the high infection time. I was so proud of my cleverness getting this done by myself. 

Oddly, I was just as equally thrilled within the last week when I was able to obtain a jar of chunky apple sauce in a grocery store I rarely shop in. I had a short list of a few hard-to-find favorites no longer stocked in my neighborhood store. I got very excited to quell my craving for this rather mundane non-essential food. I'll admit I bought, uh, more than one jar--the cashier gave me a funny look putting my trove of chunky apple sauce into a bag!

Yes, it's quite weird how some things affect us these days. 

@gizmogal   I'm so proud of you for fixing the running toidy on your own.  I need to do the very same thing.  I've already saved a do it yourself video but havn't gotten the part yet.  I only have one bathroom in my house and if I mess it up, it could mean the bucket for me.  I need the black flapper part, did you buy a universal one?  Thanks for any input, SC

Esteemed Contributor

I like having my dh working from home and here the majority of the time. We have never spent this much time together, even if he is in the other room.

I also like ordering my groceries and going to pick them up.

I always loved going to the library, early on our library closed as someone working there got covid. They've opened back up, but I ended up ordering a kindle on QVC, and have been reading on it. I miss the library, but feel blessed to still be able to browse and pick out books to read. Never would have thought I'd have had use for a kindle.

Honored Contributor

I LOVE ALL OF YOU!  You all are making the most of a bad situation.  

You are learning new skills (Plumbing!  WHO knew?); appreciating the little things; excited about the small things; and forging ahead making what you can of every day!  You are looking at what is possible rather than looking back to what is not--and none of this is easy for each of us, and of course we all have our moments and our frustrations.  I am not making light of that at all.

You all are joy, an inspiration and a blessing!  Thanks for responding!  

Honored Contributor

I'm enjoying just doing "eyes only" when I work.

If I'm off, it's skin care only.  I do try to go to the grocery store on days I work.

Honored Contributor

@happycat   Its a roundish flap that slides down over the tall white tube.  It shuts off the water and keeps it from draining out.  When your toilet "runs" it needs a new flapper.  They wear out.  Takes less than 30 sec to change one.  I'm sure there's a YouTube video

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment