Honored Contributor

Re: One Of The Joys Of Not Working

I've got an internal alarm clock....up before sunrise, a sleep in is rare, work or not.  But having choices in life is a good thing!

Honored Contributor

I've been retired almost 6 years. It's taken me this long to sleep to 6 to 6:30 AM.  I love it. 

My whole outlook on life changed during the last 5 years too. Corporate life started becoming rough in the late 90s and 2000s as they moved from caring about workers to thinking people were disposable. I took a lot of heat for caring about my departments and not firing people on a whim.

Respected Contributor

Yes! No more alarm clocks unless needed for some reason.  It is so nice to get up whenever we want to.  Heck, some days I stay in my jammies till noon! Other days up at the crack of dawn ready to go.  We love being retired!

Respected Contributor

Who Cares Clock | Etsy

Honored Contributor

I retired in April and I'm hoping that I don't end up like that.  Right now, whether it's a work day or not, my eyes pop open at 6am and I'm eager to begin my day.  I don't what my days will br like, I'm figuring that out.  I just know sleeping past 7am doesn't sound like a good thing for me.  

Valued Contributor

I have been retired about 9 years. My biggest goal in retirement was to get my basement cleaned out . I am still working on it !! I had been going on a lot of trips , buses , planes , trains , automobiles and even a cruise , until the Covid hit .  Totally ruined the last 2 years for me . I always took my 2 young grandsons on lots of outings during the summer months and Covid took that away too . 

Honored Contributor

No visible alarm clock in my bedroom since I retired 9 years ago.   If I actually have to get up at a specific time, I set the alarm on an old flip phone and set it on my dresser.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@judianne  I understand totally about the last two years being ruined. On February 20, 2020 I retired after 32 years of working for our city school department.

I so looked forward to travelling, taking care of projects in

my house, having lunch with friends, spending time with my daughters and grandchildren,  maybe some day trips with my husband and visiting some of our great museums.

In less than a month, everything shut down. For more than a year, I was glued to the TV news and CNN. I wanted to know everything that was going on with covid. On paper I kept daily count and tracked the numbers of cases and deaths in each state. I was filled with anxiety and got very depressed. I hardly

ever got dressed. I still don't get dressed every day and hardly leave the house, except for Dr. appointments, prescription pick ups and maybe about once a month, I'll venture out to the supermarket.

This is not what I imagined my retirement to be. It is so

disappointing. Even though we speak on the phone often, my

children and I don't visit in person. I've missed going to grand

children's and great grand children's birthday parties and our

large family gatherings at Christmas.

We miss our trips to Bermuda. We went there often, since

it is only a 1 1/2 hours flight from us. The last trip we had was

a Viking Danube River Cruise in August 2019. We have not even driven up to Maine as we did almost every summer.

When things were better last summer, did go to local restaurants a few times. Hopefully, now that Covid numbers

are going down, we will venture out this spring and summer.

With all that's going on in Europe, I doubt that we will be going there again. We travelled to Italy in 2006 and I have wanted to return since then. My husband is almost 84 and we

both have issues with walking now. With declining health, long flights are probably something not in our future.

How wonderful that you had a few years to enjoy your

retirement. We can't get back our two lost years, but hopefully

things will get better this spring and summer.

In the meantime, I'll spend much of my time reading, which I have always loved to do. I've finish 8 books since Christmas and I need to get some more. I'm trying not to watch

what is happening in Eastern Europe, but at the same time I care and want to know.

We can just pray for better days.

Edited to include: The joys of not working are  not having to

get up early in the morning, not to endure the

stress of driving in the morning traffic, not

having to put up with stress and nonsense of

the workplace in 2022.

I try to see the bright side and the glass half full.

Honored Contributor

I know this "cartoon" is tongue in cheek, but I kike getting up early even if I only work a few days a week. I find that if I stay in bed too long, I get nothing else done around the house, errands out, exercise, time to work in my studio, etc.

I've read it's best to go to sleep and wake up the same time evey day...even on weekends. 

Honored Contributor

I am a night owl that had to be at work at 7:30 am for years and years.  Now I can let my night owl out.  I stay up and read usually turn the TV on when the late night guy come on and sleep until I wake naturally (usually about 9 am).  If I have an appointment I set the alarm clock.