Honored Contributor

He suffered a heart attack in Cairo

Doctor Zhivago star Omar Sharif has died aged 83, his agent confirmed today.

The Hollywood star is understood to have died of a heart attack at a hospital in Cairo, where he was resting after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

In May it emerged that the Egyptian born Hollywood actor had been suffering with the illness and was struggling to remember anything about his hugely successful career.

In a frank interview with Spanish media, Tarek El-Sharif, the only child of the star's marriage to ex-wife Faten Hamama, revealed that his father had started mixing up the names of his best-known films - Doctor Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia - and often forgot where they were filmed.

Scroll down for video

Tragic: Doctor Zhivago star Omar Sharif is understood to have died of a heart attack at a hospital in his native Cairo where he was resting after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
+3
Tragic: Doctor Zhivago star Omar Sharif is understood to have died of a heart attack at a hospital in his native Cairo where he was resting after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3156305/Doctor-Zhivago-star-Omar-Sharif-dies-aged-83-sufferi...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3156305/Doctor-Zhivago-star-Omar-Sharif-dies-aged-83-sufferi...

Respected Contributor

hmmmm    I thought he died years ago.  It's funny, you don't read anything about the old time stars and we just assume they must be dead. 

Esteemed Contributor

I thought he was much older than 83. 

Well, rest in peace.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

Re: Omar Sharif dead at 83

[ Edited ]

I loved him, I fell in love with him in Dr. Zhivago, may he rest in peace!Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Was Omar Sharif the actor with Barbara Streisand in Funny Girl?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor
Bummer
Esteemed Contributor
He was phenomenal in Dr Zhivago...great actor and easy on the eyes. Years ago, I was fortunate enough to accompany my husband to a gala event in Paris. It was held in a fancy hotel, where we stayed for a couple of nights. The event was fun but the highlight of the trip was that when I went down to the exercise room, Omar Sharif walked right toward me. He had been in the spa and was wearing a big, puffy robe. It was such a thrill!
Honored Contributor

Oh Ms Vivian, what a great story! 

I was always such a fan of Omar Shariff's - he was so handsome in Dr Zhivago. He also did a darkish film called "Ship Of Fools". Haven't seen it for awhile.  I'm sure we'll be seeling all of his films now.  RIP

Respected Contributor

He was incredibly handsome when he was young!  One of my all time favorite films is Dr. Zhivago. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Omar Sharif dead at 83

[ Edited ]

Very sad news... what a horrible illness.. you would think with all the technology there would be cures for all these terrible illnesses in this 21 century Woman Sad