Honored Contributor

Older parents and how to deal w/wills,etc.

We had to get Mom's will updated. She was so not wanting to do it. The one she and Daddy had who did their will had passed on. And so had Daddy. My dear aunt recommend someone. He was wonderful. When we met w/him no suit or tie. Told us HE had to talk to his client. Don't know what he told her,but the new will was signed.

She had as her executor one of her sisters who was showing signs of forgetfulness. That was a big hassle. 

When she moved here we did what we had to. I had access to her accounts,etc

When she did pass on DH and I did what we had to and all was ok.

I am an only child and it was much easier. In fact,one time I thanked her.

My sister-in-law who is a Social Worker took care of my mother-in-laws stuff. One of the best things she did was have Mom (DH's mother) write out what she wanted as far as final things. I thought that was so smart and caring.

Honored Contributor

Re: Older parents and how to deal w/wills,etc.

@Group 5 minus 1  Love your tag line. 283917.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Ok....   But did your mother make a new will?

Honored Contributor

My son is an only child and we went through an Elder Attorney to set everything up concerning our finances and last wishes. Everything my son needs to know and do is in a folder in a safe place and the lawyer has a copies too. Our lawyer mentioned the biggest mistake people make is to wait too long to legally make their last wishes known or update a will.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

My son is an only child and we went through an Elder Attorney to set everything up concerning our finances and last wishes. Everything my son needs to know and do is in a folder in a safe place and the lawyer has a copies too. Our lawyer mentioned the biggest mistake people make is to wait too long to legally make their last wishes known or update a will.

We certainly are not elderly but that's what we did too.  We had an estate attorney do our wills, living wills, final wishes etc.  All the contact numbers because we have friends and work contacts that our girls don't know.   The attorney has everything and both our girls have the attorney's contact information.  My parents made it all easy for us, they even prepaid their funerals.  We are following them in that.  I agree, people wait too long.  They don't prepare.  No one wants to think about final arrangements and wills and contacts but it's necessary.  It's one of the last loving things we can do for the people we care about.    

Honored Contributor

My parents updated their wills regularly as circumstances changed.   They had explained their decisions with us ... so we had no surprises.

Both are gone now ... really no issues.  My brother lived closest to them - was named executor.   

Honored Contributor

The original post makes no sense.

Honored Contributor

Yes,she did.

What about it makes no sense?

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished getting my moms done.  A good attorney can make the whole process simple and keep much out of the probate process.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

I didn't think anybody did Wills anymore. I thought trust's were better so the government can't get there hands on it.