Honored Contributor

Re: Old Habit - Washing new store bought clothes

@RinaRina wrote:

Do you launder newly purchased clothes before you wear them? 

I don't know anyone who does, but I've done it for years .. don't know why - maybe I had a bad experience.

Anyway, do you ...?

Yes, washing will loosen up and show any threads that need to be cut and depending on where you are buying clothing, it might shed off any bugs or bug parts.(I'm not just talking about thrift stores, that goes without saying)   I like to see how things wash up before I wear it.   You will only wear it one time new so you  might as well wash it.

Honored Contributor

Yes, i sure do.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Absolutely!  We really don't know where items were made, who might have had a flu or contagious virus, etc.   I always hang my items, to 'air out' for any chemical odors; then wash and often hang or lay flat to dry. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Anything I purchase from a store, any store, go into washer before I wear whatever i purchased.

once i purchased blue denim jeans, i did not wash them. i saw my doctor the afternoon i wore these jeans, my doctor was shocked at how blue my legs were. talk about embarassed. from then on, i wash everything.

Regular Contributor

Yes, I wash everything before using/wearing. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes,always. I wash clothes,sheets,towels, blankets,etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

I used to do this with underwear, towels, and bed linens only, but now I wash new clothes too. Since our clothes all come from far-away places in containers that are sprayed with insecticides and other dubious chemicals, I try to do what I can to get rid of at least some of that stuff before wearing new clothes. Also, especially with jeans, instructions advise washing before wearing.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian@RinaRina

I agree with @Vivian‘s Post...wash before wearing!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina,yes, I started washing new clothing before it was worn years ago when my kids were babies, I didn't want any chemicals that might be on the clothing irritating their sensitive baby skin, it's a habit that's stayed with me. I started washing pantyhose before wearing it after I got a terrible case of hives on both legs from the dye in the pantyhose that I'd been wearing at the time. It took days for the hives to go away.

Now that my kids are grown, I still continue to wash anything of mine that will have contact with my skin before I wear it : lingerie, jeans, tops, socks, hosiery, my bedding, towels. The only thing that I don't wash before I wear it is my coat (s) The washing removes any chemicals, bugs, etc. that might be on the item plus I can see how well  the item washes. If it looks like carp after one washing, back it goes. 

Super Contributor

Yes I do.