Esteemed Contributor

Re: Old Habit - Washing new store bought clothes

I always have, going back to the days when clothing I purchased had likely been tried on by many other people.  It's a habit that's stayed with me. 

I wash all clothing before wearing and linens before using.  I can see right away how they stand up to washing, and I also far prefer to use freshly-washed items.  I don't even think about it.  It's just something that I've always done and will continue to do.

Valued Contributor

I always do, why, I don't know. I just feel better to wash them before wearing.. 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

No.

My mother taught me to wash certain things before wearing/using, for a specific reason (fabric “sizing” and similar) because of how it will feel against your skin until you do wash it. I haven’t seen much that fits that description for quite a few years now.

For fear of it being unclean/unsanitary? Never, ever. I’m just not that paranoid.

@Moonchilde

I don't worry about it being unsanitary but I do worry about the pesticides it has been sprayed with to enter the country.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

No.

My mother taught me to wash certain things before wearing/using, for a specific reason (fabric “sizing” and similar) because of how it will feel against your skin until you do wash it. I haven’t seen much that fits that description for quite a few years now.

For fear of it being unclean/unsanitary? Never, ever. I’m just not that paranoid.

@Moonchilde

I don't worry about it being unsanitary but I do worry about the pesticides it has been sprayed with to enter the country.  

@DiAnne, if something has an odd odor, I do wash it to hopefully get of whatever it was, but I don’t really have that happen often. There are reasons to pre-wash, but it isn’t something I think about doing routinely. I do it when I feel it’s necessary or especially prudent in a given situation, but not automatically.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Occasional Contributor

I would never wear anything that I haven't washed first! It's a health issue for me. Many clothes coming in from overseas are sprayed with insecticides before they leave the cargo area.

Honored Contributor

eeeeew.   I always wash clothes before wearing them.  You have no idea where they've been, who tried them on, how clean they were, how sick they were, if they have a skin sore or problem, if bugs crawled on them, etc etc.  

Respected Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

Years ago, I worked in a sewing factory. Most everything that was bundled to go between seamstresses for the next application was thrown on the factory floor. I'm sure plenty of mice, roaches, etc. walked over a lot of the clothes. Also, I'm sure many employees went to the restroom and didn't wash, then continued to work. Yuk. I've always washed everything. I also cleaned houses for a time, and was surprised how many women put unwashed new sheets on the bed, and the worst was when one lady bought new kitchen towels, and put them straight into the drawer without washing. Couldn't believe it!!

===========

Reminds me ... I bought a kitchen set from one of the discount stores.

I washed the dishcloths & towels, but not the cooking glove that came with it.  I wonder how many people tried it on B4 I used it. .... Ugh!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

I always wash new anything before I use it or wear it.  I'm probably a germophobe Smiley Happy  How many hands have handled that item??  Yes, I wash everything first.

Respected Contributor

I should but I don't wash everything.  Jeans i do wash first and anything from Macys TJs or a mall store because those things can sit on the dressing room floor before they are returned to the racks. . Sweaters are tricky . I ordered 2 wool blend sweaters cyber Monday and still have not washed them. They were supposed to be washable but some of the reviews said the sweaters felted...lol now its too late to return

Undies, bras, linens, blankets all get washed first

Some garments just look nicer before washing. Does anyone dry-clean a coat or sweater before wearing?

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline..................yes I do

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)