Esteemed Contributor

Re: Old Habit - Washing new store bought clothes

I never used to but started to recently.I suffer from allergies.  It’s a good idea to wash off excess dyes & chemicals. Not to mention you never know if someone used something then decided to return the item.

Respected Contributor

@chips wrote:

I wash everything. It stuck in my head from my mother saying that many items are made overseas in unsanitary conditions and washing removes eggs, bugs,etc.   I haven't thought about that in years

==============

Okay.  That does it. 

Just put in (w-machine) PJs and sheets!  

Thanks.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@janz wrote:

Always no matter where I get it.  B&M stores clothing has been tried on by others.  In addition, manufacturers use chemicals to make the clothes and it is highly recommended to wash clothes, linens, etc, to wash the chemicals out prior to wearing or using them.  There is a possibility of lice, bacteria, and fungus, plus irritants from the dyes and chemicals used to make the clothes and linens bright and "fresh" looking in the stores.  The dyes and manufacturing process, especially in other countries use a variety of chemicals and need to be washed out before wearing or using.  Google whether to wash clothes prior to wearing and you will never use anything again without washing it.  

Speaking of chemicals, I recently purchased some "scrunchie" type rollers from AMZN.   When I opened the package, the chemical smell was so bad, I almost returned them, but decided to launder them instead.

That chemical smell was awful.  It's frightening to know that people in China work around this stuff and inhale it all day.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I was all linens before use.

I wash undergarments (except socks for some odd reason) before use.

I usually don't regular clothing unless it is coming from the clearance rack and has been handled and tried on a lot (you can tell).

Clothing that is still all pinned and buttoned up and it is obvious no one has had it undone, I don't wash.

I don't wash coats or jackets or outerwear before use.

Honored Contributor

I don't want to sound gross or offend anyone but I thought everyone wore underwear or granny panties. I can't go without undies but I know (daughter and nieces included) some panties are very very skimpy. I can't try on pants or jeans 👖 without panties. I've said my piece. I wash everything including my pillows. 

Honored Contributor

Always have,always do.

Trusted Contributor

I usually do, can't remember when I didn't, if only to get the wrinkles out.

What makes you think I buy a lot online? Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Yes I wash anything new I buy according to the washing instructions.  Mainly to know that after I wash them, that they are still fitting the same, have not shrunk or wrinkled up or fallen apart. 

So anything I buy from QVC etc is always washed first.  That way I know that the garment is goint to hold up without  being surprised PAST THE 30 DAY RETURN. 

With dark jeans or pants I always wash per instructions before wearing  with a cup of white vinegar to set the color. 

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I had never heard about washing jeans with white vinegar. I will try that the next time.

Honored Contributor

I'm 69. Never have, never will and everything is fine!