Respected Contributor

Oh dear! and Mt. St. Helens

[ Edited ]

It seems like everyone and everything is getting on my nerves these days (I attribute it to being cooped up since March)...and for no good reason, either. Example: my neighbors have a wonderful dog, Ghost, a border collie who is a reall hoot. They built a training thing for him but never use it. Seeing that thing in their back yard, and never letting Ghost use it, is irritating, for some reason.

Knowing that these things are getting on my nerves--for no reason--helps me to contain my irritation and not take it out on my family (I hope). 

Another thing entirely: does anyone reember that today is 40 years since Mt. St. Helens erupted? When our son was little, we used to construct a Mt. St. Helens cake every year--the the top would come off and we filled the inside with red jelly to look like lava, and frosted it with white to look like the ash.

Enjoy your kids while they're little; it'll be over all too soon. I do so miss those days.

ETA: I just remembered that today is my son's 7th wedding anniversary. They have a little girl who is almost 5; just about the same age as when we started making Mt. St. Helens cakes. Good lord, time really DOES fly!

Honored Contributor

Re: Oh dear! and Mt. St. Helens

I watched a documentary of the eruption of Mt. St. Helens last night on the Smithsonian channel, very interesting.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I remember--my toddler, then almost 2 and I just got home from a trip to New York--was a Sunday and we got a light dusting of ash a few times. Lived in Redmond WA then.

Esteemed Contributor

Hard to believe that was forty years ago!  I remember flying over Mt.St. Helens just a couple months after that happened.

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Hard to believe that was forty years ago!  I remember flying over Mt.St. Helens just a couple months after that happened.

tell us about it! Have you ever been to the mountain itself? we used to visit about once a year but of course, all the national parks are closed for the time being. It's amazing how quickly it's come back.

Esteemed Contributor

Nat Geo also has a nice little piece today about why it wasn't Mt Adams.  Seems to be learning more and more.

I am always intrigued about it isn't really visible from 5.   Nice to visit.

Respected Contributor

Up here in the northwest, we're surrounded by volcanos--Mt.St. Helens, Mt. Baker, Mt.Rainier, Mt. Adams and several in Oregon (Mt. Hood and a few others). Mt. Rainier has been dormant for many years but people who study such things think it's overdue for an eruption. And Mt. St. Helens is frequently burbling and burping.

Throw into the mix the fact that we're also sitting on top of several fault lines, some of them major. 

Respected Contributor

i remember that day so clearly.  we lived on easten LI.  i think we got 2 TV stations and the news reports before she blew stated they were trying to get Harry Truman to come down from the mountain. Others had left and there were seismoloigists and scientists somewhere on the mountain and they were never found.  My son was going on 2 and we went for walks to look at the tadpoles in the pond. Now my son lives on Whidbey Island with all the views of Mt.Baker and Olympic range (?)

Respected Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

Mt.Baker and Olympic range (?)

I think it's in the Cascades. Interesting, though; I don't know if there are any volcanos in the Olympics.

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

i remember that day so clearly.  we lived on easten LI.  i think we got 2 TV stations and the news reports before she blew stated they were trying to get Harry Truman to come down from the mountain. Others had left and there were seismoloigists and scientists somewhere on the mountain and they were never found.  My son was going on 2 and we went for walks to look at the tadpoles in the pond. Now my son lives on Whidbey Island with all the views of Mt.Baker and Olympic range (?)

@CatsyCline Harry Truman the former President?

Keepin' it real.