Honored Contributor

Re: October 2021: Bird's Nest at the Back Fence

May be an image of tree and nature

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

Bernie.  I saw that list of possibly extinct critters on FB and on one of the news aps on my phone.  

I remember when they said there was a possible sighting of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker in Arkansas.   I was so hopeful that they could find the bird and it wasn't extinct.   I even bought a teeshirt with it's picture on it and quotes that it might still be around.   I keep hoping that somehow there's a small population of them somewhere in the southern swamp areas of Arkansas, Louisiana,  east Texas, etc.    I guess "hope springs eternal''. 

It's sad that in this day and age, with the knowledge we supposedly have, that any creature has to be wiped out,  but then you realize man's greed and disregard for other inhabitants of this Earth seems to overtake good intentions of many of us.   

Honored Contributor

May be an image of tree and nature

Honored Contributor

May be an image of bird and outdoors

Honored Contributor

@viva923 

Those really big woodpeckers are the Pileated.  I always thought they were the inspiration for the "Woody The Woodpecker" cartoon! ☺️

Honored Contributor

No photo description available.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Special hello to Possum. Have missed seeing your beautiful pictures you put on. Still cannot do that. Hmn. I know I have been absent but that is just the way it was for some reasons.  Hope all are doing well.

Decided to add that I was one of the originals. Many of the posters, if not most, were the same at Back Fence and  Birds Nest. We have lost many due to many reasons.  Birds nest was primarily info on birds and back fence was sitting and chatting outside with friends and eating., Of course other topics were added a bit.

Oh well, do not really like the idea of the combination knowing full well why they both were started but so be it.

Honored Contributor

May be an image of outdoors and text

Honored Contributor

@Winifred 

Winifred,   I am so glad to see your post as I've been missing you and wondering if all was ok.   Hope you are perking along as I do.   I can't do near as much as I used to and what I can do I do slowly or a lot slower than used to be.   I am grateful for what I have and am able to do, but feel a bit guilty for not doing more and keeping up with this place.  I know it's way too big for me, 5 bedrooms, plus 3 other big rooms and 2 full baths and a half.  Then there's the outside, almost 2 acres of grass to be cut,  Am glad there are many trees and clumps of bushes etc as cover for the birds and critters.  Keeps me from having to cut more grass when and if I get around to it.   

Hope your kitties are doing ok.  My two young female kitties are so full of p-- and vinegar it's crazy.  I think Moose is channeling them since he crossed the Bridge.  He is so missed by me.   I never had a cat that wanted to be on me, next to me, near me or ??   I didn't realize how much that meant till I have to do without all his attention now.   Anyway the girls are resting now so they can zoom around the house later, bouncing off of the walls and furniture or bounding off of me.   3 am around here at times sounds like a wild horse roundup!!   They are sweet though and good company!!

Take good care of yourself and pet Miss Blackie and Ditty for me.  🍁🐈🐱🐾🍂🎃

Honored Contributor

Guy Spots The Most Adorable Little Squirrels Napping Just Outside His Window