Honored Contributor

October 2021: Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

UPDATE:  We will continue to have a separate Back Fence thread until further notice.  The post to the separate Back Fence thread will be included further down in the posts.  

Welcome friends old and new to the Bird's Nest at the Back Fence thread for October 2021.  If you're a regular visitor you might have read the thread title and said what?

I've been an active participant in the monthy Bird's Nest and Back Fence threads for quite a few years now.  There was a time when each thread attracted different participants.  Some folks posted exclusively on the Back Fence thread, some folks posted exclusively on the Bird's Nest thread and some folks posted on both threads. Woman Happy

As it happens in 'real life' we've mourned the loss of many of the folks who posted exclusively in one thread or the other.  I've been thinking about this alot in 2021 and thought I would try to combine the two threads.  This is not set in stone and if you are regular and want to continue to see two different threads, just let me know and I will split them out.

I've been asked over the years to describe the Back Fence.  I never asked when I started to post on the thread.  I assumed it was a reference to the way that I grew up when neighbors used to chat over the fence in their yards.  That's how you find out what was going on in the neighborhood and that's how you checked in with each other.  

I never asked about the Bird's Nest either when I started posting.  I assumed it was a reference to gathering together to check up on each other like birds gathering in a nest.  I have a fertile imagination Woman Tongue

Wherever we gather be it the Bird's Nest or the Back Fence, this is a thread for folks to come together, catch up and whenever possible, bring some kind of snack.  We always valued treats at the Back Fence. 

Autumn In The Country - leaves, field, fence, Fall, trees, grass, Autumn, country

Autumn Bird High Res Stock Images | Shutterstock

Beautiful Colorful Autumn Scene with White Old Fence and Fall Colors in  Finland Stock Image - Image of colorful, country: 139997927

If I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns  | Live & Learn

Among the trees is a bird's nest,

and in the nest her three eggs rest,

and in each egg, Hush, you'll be heard!

There lies asleep A tiny bird.

Written by H.N. Bialik

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: October 2021: Bird's Nest at the Back Fence

@possummink  added this for October

@viva923  added this for October

hey guys

not much today

did a few chores this morn

wash doing its thingy in washer

hair cut day for me today.

that is all for now,later guys

Honored Contributor

I'm leaving a pan of butterscotch biscuits to snack on.

Butterscotch Biscuits Recipe • The Cooking Dish

Also I have a soup recommendation.  Now, y'all know I am no Betty Crocker in the kitchen (never lied about that).  When the pandemic ramped up last year my sister picked up a couple of different varieties of an 'instant' soup by a company named Bear Creek.  I hesitated making the soup because it started with 8 cups of water and I thought okay I like soup but not that much soup Woman Very Happy

Earlier in the week it was kind of chilly and I thought I would try the Bear Creek soup 'Cheddar Broccoli'.  I've tried a variety of canned cheddar broccoli soup that frankly always tasted like the can it came in so I thought what could it hurt.

I kid you not, start with a big pot and boil 8 cups of water.  Whisk this soup mix in when the water hits a rolling boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes.  Wow, the soup was fantastic.  My sister stopped by on the way home from work and had some and I sent a container home with her that she warmed the next day.  I also had soup the next day.

image 0 of Bear Creek Country Kitchens® Cheddar Broccoli Soup Mix 11.2 oz. Pouch

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

Not sure I qualify as a "regular", but I like the idea of combining the two threads.  Very clever title, too!👍

Honored Contributor

May be an image of flower and text

Honored Contributor

May be an image of text

Respected Contributor

The two threads combined sounds good to me also. Love this time of year as a lot of people do.

Yesterday my DH and I got our Covid booster and flu shot. Just went to one of the Meijer store pharmacies and got it done. Might as well have a sore arm just once instead of twice. Doing good today. 

Honored Contributor

May be an image of flower and text

@Bird mama 

Bernie,   Thank you for the new 'nest and roost' for October.   It is good that you did combine the two threads.   I seldom visted the Back Fence but read from time to time.  It'll be easier to have the postings here as I always floated the Bird Nest up to the top so when I got on the Q forums it was easy to find.  No searching for threads.  

Cool and off and on cloudy here with rain for the weekend.   We need the rain and rainy, cool, Autumn days are my cup of tea!!  🍁🦋🎃🍂☕🐦🦉

Honored Contributor

@hellie jo wrote:

The two threads combined sounds good to me also. Love this time of year as a lot of people do.

Yesterday my DH and I got our Covid booster and flu shot. Just went to one of the Meijer store pharmacies and got it done. Might as well have a sore arm just once instead of twice. Doing good today. 

@hellie jo 

Ooh, you're a lot braver than I am--getting two vaccines at once!💪

I had my second pneumonia shot this week and several hours later my shoulder started hurting.  It progressed to an intense pain in the shoulder joint up to my collar bone, down my side and I could hardly move that arm.  Of course I knew it was just a reaction to the injection.  I hopped in the shower, turned on the hot water as hot as I could stand it and stood there until the hot turned to cold.  Then I spent the rest of the night with a heating pad on that shoulder.  Sometime during the night the pain eased and I could move that arm better.  Today it's all still a little achy, with a red spot and a bit of swelling on my collarbone.

I will definitely be spacing out my upcoming flu and booster vaccines!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Birdmama,a excellent idea combining the two threads. 
like hearing from all the different contributors 👍.

Nothing much going on,just enjoying the cool nights and sleeping with the windows open,even if our resident owl does wake me up. 🦉