Honored Contributor

Re: October 2018 Bird's Nest

Respected Contributor

We DID get some rain late yesterday and last night. Also had some thunder - loved every single minute. Not enough, however, to do much good. The drought of a few years back basically has never ended - water levels below the ground surface are way too low - trees are still dying - not good at all. Love to see Conrad any time anywhere and Miss Blackie too. Miss Blackie still remains somewhat scarce during the day. I think the noise and confusion has become a bit much for her - bless her little heart - she is certainly getting older.

Fed Ditty in the carport this morning as out where I have been feeding him was way too slippery and muddy - when it rains and hits this adobe clay, well, you slip and slide in that stuff.

Am really tired - Ricky has had a bad week so far and he had really improved for quite a spell. Do not know why he went backwards this week but he did - I have several ideas why but you truly never know. He was getting to see his Mom and baby brother more often and then, swish, they moved. They did nothing wrong just the person who gave them a place to stay is a nutcase and he changed his mind with one day's notice. He and his wife are both nutcases - drugs of all kinds impact all ages for sure. They are not kids, have way too much $$$ but they also have problems Oh well, figured it could have happened.

Am tired -  know I already said that but need to call it a day. Hope all had a great day.

Honored Contributor

Hope you have a warm day today!

Honored Contributor

Listen to the silence of the night

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello all, I've come to the conclusion (actually I came to it last night) that I liked my next door neighbor more when I worked Woman Wink  

I'm the kind of neighbor who is quiet.  I mind my business, I wave hello, I don't have raucus parties.  Actually this particular neighbor told me years ago that she's never met anyone so quiet. 

She recently acquired a small dog.  This dog belonged to her step granddaughter's (her distinction, not mine) deceased maternal grandmother.  Apparently that grandmother had several dogs and neighbor, lets call her Betsy decided to help step granddaughter out.  Step grand had just had a baby and took in the grandma's dogs after grandma died.

Still with me?

Betsy never struck me as a dog person as she never liked my dog and didn't have a dog all of the years I've lived next door to her.

So, she takes on this dog and does nothing but complain about the dog and say things like you want a dog? 

Betsy's husband is not well.  He has health issues that prevent him from participating in things Betsy wants to do and man is she ever bitter about it.

In my opinion, when we start hitting our golden years, we gotta expect some days that are more tarnished than golden, if you get my meaning.  The end game for me is more good days than bad/disappointing ones.

Anyway, yesterday, the guy across the street from Betsy (kitty corner from me) called 911 again.  This guy is a story of his own.  A 911 call here gets you the parademic truck and a fire truck.  I don't sit in my window watching the world go by.  When a fire truck pulls up, you can't avoid hearing it so I looked out my window.  I see dude walking around his garage as the paramedics leave.  I walk next door to ask Betsy if she knew what was going on.  She tells me guy fell down in his garage and he needed help getting up.

We then struck up a conversation in her family room. Wow, what a crab!  Her little dog loves me (that drives Betsy crazy).  I was petting the dog and Betsy told me her dog killed a squirrel.  The dog is older and overweight and I seriously doubt it, then again what do I know.  Its a smaller mixed breed smooth coated dog so maybe it's got some terrier in it?  

I think she said it to get under my skin.  She then, all these years later, tells me that my dog was mean.  I looked at her and said Max?  Mean?  My dog wasn't mean.  She said, yes he was.  I said, no, Max wasn't mean, he just didn't like you.  He liked your husband, just not you, because you are loud and Max didn't live around loud people.  Also if you would have kept your grandkids off of my fence when they were growing up, maybe my dog wouldn't have had to bark at them.  Oh and my dog didn't kill anything Woman Happy

I think I'm going back to the occasional wave and hello.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Gordy groundhog Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Hello all, I've come to the conclusion (actually I came to it last night) that I liked my next door neighbor more when I worked Woman Wink  

I'm the kind of neighbor who is quiet.  I mind my business, I wave hello, I don't have raucus parties.  Actually this particular neighbor told me years ago that she's never met anyone so quiet. 

She recently acquired a small dog.  This dog belonged to her step granddaughter's (her distinction, not mine) deceased maternal grandmother.  Apparently that grandmother had several dogs and neighbor, lets call her Betsy decided to help step granddaughter out.  Step grand had just had a baby and took in the grandma's dogs after grandma died.

Still with me?

Betsy never struck me as a dog person as she never liked my dog and didn't have a dog all of the years I've lived next door to her.

So, she takes on this dog and does nothing but complain about the dog and say things like you want a dog? 

Betsy's husband is not well.  He has health issues that prevent him from participating in things Betsy wants to do and man is she ever bitter about it.

In my opinion, when we start hitting our golden years, we gotta expect some days that are more tarnished than golden, if you get my meaning.  The end game for me is more good days than bad/disappointing ones.

Anyway, yesterday, the guy across the street from Betsy (kitty corner from me) called 911 again.  This guy is a story of his own.  A 911 call here gets you the parademic truck and a fire truck.  I don't sit in my window watching the world go by.  When a fire truck pulls up, you can't avoid hearing it so I looked out my window.  I see dude walking around his garage as the paramedics leave.  I walk next door to ask Betsy if she knew what was going on.  She tells me guy fell down in his garage and he needed help getting up.

We then struck up a conversation in her family room. Wow, what a crab!  Her little dog loves me (that drives Betsy crazy).  I was petting the dog and Betsy told me her dog killed a squirrel.  The dog is older and overweight and I seriously doubt it, then again what do I know.  Its a smaller mixed breed smooth coated dog so maybe it's got some terrier in it?  

I think she said it to get under my skin.  She then, all these years later, tells me that my dog was mean.  I looked at her and said Max?  Mean?  My dog wasn't mean.  She said, yes he was.  I said, no, Max wasn't mean, he just didn't like you.  He liked your husband, just not you, because you are loud and Max didn't live around loud people.  Also if you would have kept your grandkids off of my fence when they were growing up, maybe my dog wouldn't have had to bark at them.  Oh and my dog didn't kill anything Woman Happy

I think I'm going back to the occasional wave and hello.  

@Bird mama  Almost nothing worse than having an unpleasant neighbor  At my previous house and here, there is a good distance between houses, here more so, but at the previous house, I planted a hedge that would grow very tall to keep neighbors from seeing me/my house at the kitchen window faced the cul de sac, one neighbor said that soon I would disappear, lol.  I love my privacy.  Here, I never see a neighbor unless I leave and one is walking down the road, but that never happens.

I hope her dog doesn't become a barker.  No one who doesn't love dogs should have one, same goes for a cat.  I hope she only complains to others, and is not unkind or unpleasant to the dog.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl  Deep down Betsy is a good person.  She is all about her family and I know she would give her right arm for them.  She's just a blow-hard.  I would blame it on where she came from in Europe except I have some folks in my family that are the same way and we are from a different country in Europe.  

The dog is well cared for, she just can't stand it.  She thought her yard was reinforced to keep the dog from escaping and the other day I'm hearing the dog yap.  Mind you I was in my basement on my phone folding clothing out of the dryer.  I came upstairs, was sitting in my family room and told my sister (on the phone with me), I have gotta go outside and find out why there is a dog that's yapping non stop.  Low and behold Princess is in my yard.  The dog had been in the school field and squeezed through the gap between my back locked gate and the fence. 

I walked next door, tapped on Betsy's side door, opened it and said your dog is running around the field.

I then opened the driveway gate, walked into Betsy's yard and called the dog who came back into her own yard through the same kind of gap between the gate and fence.  Betsy didn't have her TV on loud - I know because like I said, I popped my head into her house first.  Betsy said she didn't hear the dog barking.  I thought to myself, because you are not tuned into your dog, you don't come out in the yard with the dog to play with it.  I said nothing then I petted Princess and they went inside the house and I returned to mine.

Betsy is 70 years old I think.  Perhaps she shouldn't have taken on a dog at this time of her life.  I think she felt like she was in a spot and wanted to help her grand daughter.  

When we first bought this house Betsy's MIL lived with them and the woman was not easy to deal with.  Betsy was aggravated back then too.  She has a detached garage that's staggered back a little bit.  She used to have cookouts and card parties on the weekends that were stationed in her driveway, alongside the fence immediately in front of her driveway.

I actually restricted Max's outside time when she would have a crowd over.  Max would see people and maybe bark once however I was out with him all of the time and would say no-no Max and Max would not bark anymore.

Betsy like to have her functions there because I had a huge silver maple tree near that fence and it provided shade.  Well one day I was at work and my husband took Max outside.  My dog always had company when he went outside.  He was getting up in age when we bought this house so we didn't send him outside alone.  Well I guess Max barked at Betsy's grandkid once or twice and Betsy called the kid to come over to her and said under her breath - effin dog.

Less than a week later, my husband and I paid over $350 to have the maple cut down.  My husband insisted and I wasn't going to get into a fight with him.  Woman LOL

To be honest, that tree should never have been planted that close to the fence, it was beginning to create a little rise in Betsy's concrete near her garage opening.  It didn't buckle the concrete but would have eventually.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl  Deep down Betsy is a good person.  She is all about her family and I know she would give her right arm for them.  She's just a blow-hard.  I would blame it on where she came from in Europe except I have some folks in my family that are the same way and we are from a different country in Europe.  

The dog is well cared for, she just can't stand it.  She thought her yard was reinforced to keep the dog from escaping and the other day I'm hearing the dog yap.  Mind you I was in my basement on my phone folding clothing out of the dryer.  I came upstairs, was sitting in my family room and told my sister (on the phone with me), I have gotta go outside and find out why there is a dog that's yapping non stop.  Low and behold Princess is in my yard.  The dog had been in the school field and squeezed through the gap between my back locked gate and the fence. 

I walked next door, tapped on Betsy's side door, opened it and said your dog is running around the field.

I then opened the driveway gate, walked into Betsy's yard and called the dog who came back into her own yard through the same kind of gap between the gate and fence.  Betsy didn't have her TV on loud - I know because like I said, I popped my head into her house first.  Betsy said she didn't hear the dog barking.  I thought to myself, because you are not tuned into your dog, you don't come out in the yard with the dog to play with it.  I said nothing then I petted Princess and they went inside the house and I returned to mine.

Betsy is 70 years old I think.  Perhaps she shouldn't have taken on a dog at this time of her life.  I think she felt like she was in a spot and wanted to help her grand daughter.  

When we first bought this house Betsy's MIL lived with them and the woman was not easy to deal with.  Betsy was aggravated back then too.  She has a detached garage that's staggered back a little bit.  She used to have cookouts and card parties on the weekends that were stationed in her driveway, alongside the fence immediately in front of her driveway.

I actually restricted Max's outside time when she would have a crowd over.  Max would see people and maybe bark once however I was out with him all of the time and would say no-no Max and Max would not bark anymore.

Betsy like to have her functions there because I had a huge silver maple tree near that fence and it provided shade.  Well one day I was at work and my husband took Max outside.  My dog always had company when he went outside.  He was getting up in age when we bought this house so we didn't send him outside alone.  Well I guess Max barked at Betsy's grandkid once or twice and Betsy called the kid to come over to her and said under her breath - effin dog.

Less than a week later, my husband and I paid over $350 to have the maple cut down.  My husband insisted and I wasn't going to get into a fight with him.  Woman LOL

To be honest, that tree should never have been planted that close to the fence, it was beginning to create a little rise in Betsy's concrete near her garage opening.  It didn't buckle the concrete but would have eventually.

@Bird mama  Lol re the tree.  The poor dog feels her dislike of it, animals know who likes them and who doesn't.  Maybe there is a younger dog lover in her family who would take it.

Honored Contributor

Oh yea the little dog brings me her toys and sits and lets me rub her up and she wants to crawl into my lap.  Sends Betsy up one wall and down another.  Don't get mad at me - animals like me.  I got this from my mother :-)