Honored Contributor

Re: October 2018 Bird's Nest

Since I've discovered the facebook marketplace, it's been fun listing items and making some cash on things that last year I would have given away through freecycle.  Also met some nice people along the way.

It's chilly here and smells like fall.  I noticed the smell on Tuesday morning as I was driving to the rollerskating rink and I had to smile. It was unseasonably warm that day but the smell was there Woman Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Since I've discovered the facebook marketplace, it's been fun listing items and making some cash on things that last year I would have given away through freecycle.  Also met some nice people along the way.

It's chilly here and smells like fall.  I noticed the smell on Tuesday morning as I was driving to the rollerskating rink and I had to smile. It was unseasonably warm that day but the smell was there Woman Happy

@Bird mama  I had never heard of it until @Mominohio mentioned that she does this.  Isn't it a bit scary to meet a stranger somewhere?  One hears stories.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl Well, I would say that you need to follow your gut and use discretion.

The buyer of the total gym (man) came to my house.  It was mid day, sun was shining and I was in my driveway near the entrance of my garage door (that rolls up).  The door to my house was locked, I had my keys on me, the other entrance/exit door to the garage was open in the next room and it's a garage.  My hand ax was laying on a box behind me, lol.

A young girl came by to purchase the ceramic Fu Dog pair of statues I had.  I had a good feeling about her - she was a single mother not far from me and she was in as much risk as I was from a threat perspective.  Again, we transacted the exchange in my driveway.

The chess set was sold to a guy from downtown who happened to want to pick it up at the same time as my rollerskating on Tuesday.  I messaged him and said look that's my skating time - if you want to meet me at the rink, it will be closer to you than my house.  There was a bunch of skaters arriving at the time.

Yesterday a buyer asked for a public meet to buy the purse I sold.  I gave her a general area of where I lived, she picked the Rite Aid parking lot a mile from me  (busy strip mall).  She told me when she expected to be there and we did business in the parking lot.

Now, here's something funny, twice I've sold to a man I didn't know before hand - one at my house, one at the rink and I felt no odd feelings.

I listed some DVDs never watched for a buck a piece.  Lady buyer suggested porch pick up of 2.  That had me feeling some kind of way and I then felt guilty for being suspicious.  She and I arranged for the deal to go down on Tuesday.  I told her where the DVDs were stashed and she was supposed to pick them up and leave $2 in the mailbox.  Tuesday comes and goes and she reaches out through Facebook messenger after 8 pm that she would be picking the DVDs up early Wednesday.  I bring the DVDs in for the night and set them up in our unique hiding place on Wednesday.

I went grocery shopping around 10:15 am and when I got home, DVDs there.  Amazon delivered something to my house about 1:15 pm and DVDs still there.  DVDs get taken and I check the mailbox - nothing.  I reached out to her on facebook messenger and say hey, was that you who picked up the DVDs?  She says I was going to come by and get them at 4:30 pm.  I said, no need to make a return trip Woman Wink  I then said, did I mention that I am a retiree who is home all day?  

Last reponse I got from her was OMG, I'm sorry.  

They were children's movies and I was only out $2.  I didn't make a federal case out of it.  I figured if it was that bad that she needed to steal movies for her kids to watch then God Bless her.  

I should have followed my instincts and I learned something - no more porch pick ups, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl Well, I would say that you need to follow your gut and use discretion.

The buyer of the total gym (man) came to my house.  It was mid day, sun was shining and I was in my driveway near the entrance of my garage door (that rolls up).  The door to my house was locked, I had my keys on me, the other entrance/exit door to the garage was open in the next room and it's a garage.  My hand ax was laying on a box behind me, lol.

A young girl came by to purchase the ceramic Fu Dog pair of statues I had.  I had a good feeling about her - she was a single mother not far from me and she was in as much risk as I was from a threat perspective.  Again, we transacted the exchange in my driveway.

The chess set was sold to a guy from downtown who happened to want to pick it up at the same time as my rollerskating on Tuesday.  I messaged him and said look that's my skating time - if you want to meet me at the rink, it will be closer to you than my house.  There was a bunch of skaters arriving at the time.

Yesterday a buyer asked for a public meet to buy the purse I sold.  I gave her a general area of where I lived, she picked the Rite Aid parking lot a mile from me  (busy strip mall).  She told me when she expected to be there and we did business in the parking lot.

Now, here's something funny, twice I've sold to a man I didn't know before hand - one at my house, one at the rink and I felt no odd feelings.

I listed some DVDs never watched for a buck a piece.  Lady buyer suggested porch pick up of 2.  That had me feeling some kind of way and I then felt guilty for being suspicious.  She and I arranged for the deal to go down on Tuesday.  I told her where the DVDs were stashed and she was supposed to pick them up and leave $2 in the mailbox.  Tuesday comes and goes and she reaches out through Facebook messenger after 8 pm that she would be picking the DVDs up early Wednesday.  I bring the DVDs in for the night and set them up in our unique hiding place on Wednesday.

I went grocery shopping around 10:15 am and when I got home, DVDs there.  Amazon delivered something to my house about 1:15 pm and DVDs still there.  DVDs get taken and I check the mailbox - nothing.  I reached out to her on facebook messenger and say hey, was that you who picked up the DVDs?  She says I was going to come by and get them at 4:30 pm.  I said, no need to make a return trip Woman Wink  I then said, did I mention that I am a retiree who is home all day?  

Last reponse I got from her was OMG, I'm sorry.  

They were children's movies and I was only out $2.  I didn't make a federal case out of it.  I figured if it was that bad that she needed to steal movies for her kids to watch then God Bless her.  

I should have followed my instincts and I learned something - no more porch pick ups, lol.

@Bird mama  I think if I did it, I would meet in an area with a lot of people around, not at my house, although we did list a girl's bike in the paper and parents showed up, going to be a present for their little girl.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  Everyone once in a blue moon I read a person wrong.  It doesn't happen often because I inherited a pretty good sense about people from my mother.

The guy who picked up the total gym was actually a friend of the guy I sold the gym to.  Oh, years of watching QVC comes in handy.  

I told the guy, you are acting on behalf of Fred.  I said the gym was in excellent condition so we are going to run down all of the components and I want you to inspect them so you can see the condition.  I was about to take $140 from the guy - I didn't want any problems later.

The lady yesterday said the purse looked a little more blue in the photo.  I said, I know the color description (from the manufacturer) is peacock and that can be misleading.  If you don't like the color we can stop now.  You're on the way home from work and I'm not far from home - no harm no foul.  She said, no I like it so then I launched into a presentation and showed the zipper pockets, slip pockets, how to add the crossbody strap (it was a satchel) and I even suggested she hold the bag to get a feel for the weight when it was empty.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  I also post lots of photographs (each post can handle 10) of whatever I am selling so that what I say is visible to the potential buyer.  

Respected Contributor

Got a surprise about an hour ago - went in the carport and there was Mr. - or was it Mrs? - Possum eating away at Ditty's evening treat. LOL. Ditty is the cat that belonged to Johnny who use to have the auto repair shop behind and next to us facing the street in back and he lost it recently. Ditty was HIS cat and he has made himself somewhat at home here but misses his Daddy. Have not seen a Possum in quite a few years - they are hungry too so what do you do? I just shudder and hope it gets fed tonight - now I think I understand how/why Ditty's evening treats are disappearing so fast. Sigh.

As usual enjoyed the pictures posted here.

This morning the Bug Man AND the Gas Company both got here at 8 this morning and I was happy. I have to take Ricky to school leaving at 11 so was nervous about them getting here. I had explained it to both agencies but you know how that goes. Both people said they were told explicitly to be here around 8 - God Bless THOSE utility companies. Whew!! So tomorrow morning will not freeze early on and hopefully most of the bugs have evaporated.

Have a good one people - tomorrow need to fix Hummer food and REFILL the seed feeders. Sigh.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

@Bird mama  I had never heard of it until @Mominohio mentioned that she does this.  Isn't it a bit scary to meet a stranger somewhere?  One hears stories.

@mousiegirl

@Bird mama

You always hear bad stories connected to Craig's list. 

I have to wonder if there isn't as much of that going on with the Facebook selling because people can see your name and profile and know who you are if you pull anything. 

Of course if you use a fake name, location and profile then you'd be hard to track down, but I always figured because of all the information most people put on FB, they figure they won't get away with too much. 

I always meet away from home. I've only had one pickup at the house and it was for a wood stove and it was out in the driveway and made sure my husband was home. 

I choose places where there are crowds, like grocery store parking lot, I look at the person's FB page to see what they might look like, and we exchange types of vehicles so I know if it is them when they pull up. 

I also don't transact any of the business on the FB listing, but only by private message, so anyone else on the page can't see what, where  or when we are meeting.,

I choose daylight hours only, and if I'm meeting a man, I tend to take someone with me, even if it's just my mom. A second person in the car makes for a little more safety. 

Honored Contributor

Happy Saturday! ;D

Honored Contributor