Respected Contributor

Objective: try finding a somber Christmas card.

I just had a very sad mission impossible,  finding a Christmas card to send to a friend and neighbor whose husband of many years died last week.  It was expected, but no one is ever quite ready for the finality of losing a loved one. My friend has Parkinson's and is unable to live alone, so after the family took care of the final details she was moved into a nursing home. Evidently, none of the four children, who all are highly educated and have excellent positions,  were able to have their mother live with them.  No judgement, just sad. 

After going through stacks of merry merry, happy happy cards I found one that is simple and sets the proper tone. I guess greeting card companies don't think people die or are gravely ill during the holidays;  they do and they are.   Anyway, mission accomplished. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Objective: try finding a somber Christmas card.

@this is my nic I feel your pain.  Try finding one that is related to Christmas and Christ and the nativity and that's an almost impossible task too.

Next year I'll order.   Good luck in your search.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic 

GreetingCardUniverse.com has In Remembrance Christmas Cards.  

The search thread is Holidays > Christmas Cards > In Remembrance

ETA: Zazzle.com also has Remembrance Christmas Cards and a category for sympathy.

Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic  Wow, that's a tough one.  So sad, too.  I can understand you wanting to be remembered to your friend over the holidays.  So sorry to hear the circumstances.

Please don't be too hard on your friend's children; caring for a person with a progressive and ultimately fatal illness isn't always something that can be done in the home.  

May you find the card you're looking for and may your friend find meaning in the balance of her life.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains religious content.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I did find a card, I guess I didn't make that clear.  Out of so many joyous, merry Christmas, Happy New Year cards, one was found that was simple and imparted the message I wanted to send.  It just said "thinking of you now and always". 

Oh, and today I ordered flowers for a cousin who was just diagnosed with breast cancer.  It was found early, is small, so she is just having a lumpectomy with radiation, no chemo.   We're grateful for those circumstances.  

Some days are just sadder than others. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for posting this........I'm in the same situation with an elderly aunt who lost a son this summer and a grandson the week of Thanksgiving.  I really wasn't sure what to do about a card for my aunt. 

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic 

@cindyNC 

I have found very nice holiday cards for just this situation on Etsy. I had to order four of them this year. Even have pet sympathy cards.

Also, Hobby Lobby has cards to send for cancer diagnosis, loosing your job, getting divorced and all types of things.

Esteemed Contributor

Miles Kimball also carries these types of cards.  

This is a tough time for those of have lost loved ones.   My dad passed many years ago on Thanksgivng day and though we still are able to enjoy the day, our thoughts are with him always. 

Honored Contributor

I would only send the "Thinking of You" cards.  Write a little note inside of it.  Life isn't fair.  Things just happen. I feel so sorry for the older ones, who lose their voice among other things.  Sometimes I think life is most unfair to those the older they get.  Some are lucky they have a ways and means and a family of support.  Good with the bad.