Respected Contributor

Re: OUR FIRST DINNER OUT SINCE LAST MARCH!

@Mindy D wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

Glad to hear that you had a good time and it was nice to get out! 

I've been dining out all through the nice weather outdoors.  I haven't over the winter since it's too cold here for outdoor dining but we're going to be celebrating some family birthdays and will try to go out in two weeks....we'll see how it goes.

I'm also going to Florida in April to visit my mother. Everything looks so warm and open right now.  To me the most daunting part of the visit will be the airport & plane.

@haddon9 @Try to get vaccinated before you come. We are number 1 in U.S. cases of the British variant and yesterday it was announced that we have a case of the S. African variant here now. It's not just warm, it's hot. It's 85°F and feels like 88°F right now at 4:25 P.M. 

Just curious @Mindy D , do you ever talk about anything NOT Covid-related?

Valued Contributor

If you feel comfortable doing so, great! I do not.  I've been vaccinated, but have family still that has not. Nor do I want to risk it after being so careful this past year. No big deal to me. I've done occasional take out from restaurants that take all precautions.  Had I been anywhere I saw staff not wearing masks properly, I'd have ZERO qualms or guilt walking out without my order. My health is not worth the risk of others lack of care and/or concern about others. Period.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

That sounds wonderful & good food too🙂🙂

We went to our favorite beach restaurant a couple weeks ago

🦞🦀🦐

It was great to be by the beach and enjoy a relaxing evening!!

Glad you had nice time🙂

Respected Contributor

I can certainly appreciate the pleasure of again dining away from home.  It's been a long time for most of us and vicariosly is better than nothing, LOL!

I don't live where outdoor dining is comfortable even though a couple places offer it with outdoor heaters.  I'll wait until a couple weeks after my 2nd Covid vaccination date and will then venture out to favorite indoor places when they are uncrowded.  This will be only occasionally but also hinge on the spread of the variants. 

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

Okay, I've been LOL at the posts about ID2.  And it occurred to me that  she's likely deliberately chosen this as her second nic.  So does anyone know what other nic she's posting under?

If she never responds to anything, is just a hit and run poster, that would make her a troll by my definition.  Playing silly games so not worth "listening" to, as nothing is likely to be true.  (Oh for the "ignore" button to return.)

But I have really enjoyed all your comments!  Smiley Very Happy

As far as eating out,during the past six months, DH and I have eaten out about once every two or three weeks at a couple of local restaurants that we trust.  They were take-out only for a long time and we just don't live close enough for that.

@Venezia  I think she had another nic but I don't think she's posting under more than one. Just changed it. She's been here for years. Not a troll.

Super Contributor

@ID2 @The real sorrow are the 2,000+ people still dying every day from covid.  

just because a restaurant is clean doesn't meant that you are safe from getting covid ... it's airborne!  I guess ignorance is bliss for you, at least until you are personally affected.  Good luck with that.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you had an enjoyable time at dinner.  DH and I have only had our first shot.  I think everyone's situation is different.  Some of us have more severe health issues and we know we just have to be more careful.  I don't begrudge anyone going out that feels comfortable doing so.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

We ran some errands after work today so I decided to get some hot dogs on our way home at our local fast food restaurant as it was their "Hot Dog Tuesday"special day.

When I walked in the owner was sitting way in the back in a booth with no mask.  I was ok with that, I guess, since he was sitting way in the back, no one was around him as he yelled "hello how are you?" as I walked in.

Then I placed my order and the cashier also did not have on a mask.  She was behind a plexi glass divider between us, but still???

Then a man walked in with a mask around his neck and as the owner shouted to him "Hello how are you?" the man said oops, I forget to put on my mask.  As he was putting on the mask the owner said to him "you're fine".  The man did not put on a mask and then ordered.

I looked at the cooks while they were preparing my hot dogs.  They had on masks, but one of the cook's mask was not fully on and his nose was exposed.

ID2 stated "our local restaurants are practicing the utmost in cleanliness. Their fear is being shut down again and losing their livelihood".     Hmmm.......that for sure was not the experience I had at our local restaurant today!

@BunSnoop   That would not be a "safe" environment for me. That's why we ate outdoors. If I had seen anyone w/o a mask, I would have left. 

Honored Contributor

Just because a restaurant "looks" clean, doesn't mean that it is.....or isn't.  We have no idea what the kitchen looks like the storage room(s), etc.  Same with stores and any other business.  Surface neatness and order doesn't always mean clean.  And we don't know the physical condition of the staff. Are they sick and working anyway?

And Covid is airborne.  What bothers me about eating inside is the air system.  Someone coughs 4 tables away.  Does it go through the restaurant's air system over to my table?

I have been very cautious, but have gone grocery shopping and to Target regularly. A few other stores, only a handful of times since last spring.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

As usual, some well wishers and some critics. I did not recount my dinner out to illicit any controversy. Those who feel safer dining at home, please don't be tempted. If you are comfortable dining indoors (if your state allows that) or outside, then that's a possibility.

It's a personal choice. Having both vaccines, secondary health issues, older family members...there is lots to consider. Please make your own intelligent choices. Don't be swayed to go anywhere you feel uncomfortable.

On the flip side, don't be bullied into staying home if you feel OK trying a night out or a shopping trip.  Same "rules" would apply for me. Are the people waiting on me and others in the area masked? Are there hand santizers readily available, does the restaurant or store look clean...watch to see if counters are disinfected after each customer. *TJ Maxx actually cleans the pad where the charge card goes in after each customer. I watch for those things. Target wipes down the cart handles and hands you a cleaned cart, HomeGoods, too. I make mental note of these stores and feel OK there. My CVS has sanitizer wipes to clean hands, carts on the way in the store and when leaving.

I also keep a bottle of Purell in the car so when I get back in, before I touch steering wheel, etc. I clean my hands....habit. 

This pandemic has scared the ....out of most of us. Entering the "world" again takes thought, decisions, positive feelings and a watchful eye if you decide to leave your home. No one can make that decision for you.