Trusted Contributor

Re: OUR DADS: WHY WE LOVE (LOVED) THEM

@Shanus, I as well read every one of your words with cloudy eyes.

HE yes is with you always always always !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daddy died over 30 years ago.I still miss him terribly.I was a true Daddy’s girl.

Daddy worked 14 hours a day 6 1/2 Days a week to support us.Yet he always had time for us.He was loving,funny & supportive of my dreams.

He was so proud when I graduated from college with honors.He never got past the 4th grade & placed a lot of value in a good education.

Daddy had a stroke & went downhill from there. One day when I was visiting him after he had become bedridden he told me that he admired me for the way I handled my life. He said he was sad that he wasn’t going to live long enough to see me become a mother.I told him that everything I am & will be in the future is because of his & my mom’s love & sacrifices!! 

Daddy passed 2 weeks later.Now he’s alive in my heart & will be until we’re reunited!!

Esteemed Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@Shanus

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_INI7NYZVDc/UbzmI3Jw0fI/AAAAAAAAA6s/Jod_c7YNIT0/s1600/DAD+in+living+memory+of+you.jpg

My dad has been gone a little over two years and, for the past two years on the anniversary of his death, I post this same poem on my facebook page.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

My sisters and I were blessed to have the best Daddy in the whole wide world.  He was handsome, loving, funny, kind, a good provider and more carrying than you could ever imagine. 

I was the middle child but for some reason, I WAS Daddy's little girl.  For awhile after my mother died, he, my younger sister, my husband, our baby and I lived together.

Summer of 2014 my father, our son and his family, my husband and I went to Ireland.  On the way over, I sat next to him on the plane and we talked the entire way about our previous trips to Ireland and life in general.  The second night in Ireland, my father died in his sleep.  He was 90 years old.  I think he chose Ireland for eternal sleep, because he felt it was closer to Heaven than the USA.  Our trip home, I carried my dear, sweet Daddy in my carry on bag.

I miss my Daddy.

Trusted Contributor

I rarely read every post on a thread, but this was one of the most touching and special threads I’ve ever seen on these forums. Each and every post was written with such emotion, love and admiration for those fortunate souls that were blessed with amazing fathers. Even though some didn’t get to know what having a loving father was like, just reading your responses gave us a glimpse into how special your fathers were/are.

@Shanus Thank you again for starting this thread. My day was made a little brighter and I know others will agree. Bless you for sharing.😊😊❤️❤️

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

My sisters and I were blessed to have the best Daddy in the whole wide world.  He was handsome, loving, funny, kind, a good provider and more carrying than you could ever imagine. 

I was the middle child but for some reason, I WAS Daddy's little girl.  For awhile after my mother died, he, my younger sister, my husband, our baby and I lived together.

Summer of 2014 my father, our son and his family, my husband and I went to Ireland.  On the way over, I sat next to him on the plane and we talked the entire way about our previous trips to Ireland and life in general.  The second night in Ireland, my father died in his sleep.  He was 90 years old.  I think he chose Ireland for eternal sleep, because he felt it was closer to Heaven than the USA.  Our trip home, I carried my dear, sweet Daddy in my carry on bag.

I miss my Daddy.

@lulu1  That’s a touching story. How wonderful that at 90 he had the energy and the wish to visit Ireland again. You may be right that he chose that place to pass away. Happy you have pleasant memories.

Honored Contributor

@vsm. Yes, our parents are very dear to us. Losing them reminds us of our short time here to do what they’ve taught us and love as they did. My Mom will be 90 next month, so I know exactly how you feel. 💕

Honored Contributor

Love my dad to bits and pieces.  

From my earliest recollection, he looked exactly like Ricky Ricardo.  EXACTLY.

Now people tell him he looks like Pope John Paul.  And it's true, although he has hair and the Pope didn't.

Rides a rickety bike to get the paper every morning.

Takes a dip in the ocean almost every day from June till end of Sept.

Today he cut the grass (on a tractor) at the firehouse--does it as a volunteer although he was never a fireman....

Sings to my mom all the time (he can also whistle beautifully) and can make a pie crust that would shame Martha Stewart.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My father was one of the greatest blessings in my life.  A "Daddy's Girl," I always felt cherished and protected by him. 

He was a man of integrity, a man of wisdom and knowledge and a man of God.  I can still see him praying before our family "iconostasio," where the icons, crosses and votive lights were arranged in a small chamber within my parents' bedroom.

My late husband used to say, "Your father goes with the cross before him," meaning he always chose the path of kindness, compassion and understanding.  When he died, many came up to say that the "last gentleman in (our hometown) has died."  It was an honor having him as a father, and I miss him deeply even after all this time. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was an adult when I learned something sad & frightful that happened to my Dad when he was only 12 years old (not sexual or abuse)..it was told to me by his younger sister, who thought I knew of it..from that day forward, I felt horrible for my Dad, it explained a lot of his behaviors as we were growing up, short-tempered, to say the least, but was a great provider for my Mom & my siblings..

since that day, ( he has passed on by then) I have prayed for him every day, told him how much I loved him, & at the same time, feel anger towards my Mother, for not telling me any of this, she was aware of what happened. I had always heard of family’s secrets, but never dreamed we had one. To this day, I am upset with my Mom & not sure I will ever get over this..

so, as Father’s Day nears, I hope my Dad knows how much I love him & thank him for all he did for us, just wish I had shown him how much when he was alive.