Honored Contributor

Re: OUR DADS: WHY WE LOVE (LOVED) THEM

@spiderw wrote:

My father passed away in 1965 at the age of 51.  His life is still remembered as one filled with much kindness and generosity toward all.  Perhaps the greatest gift he gave to me is the gift of having friends.  I remember him always being surrounded by wonderful fun loving friends who would visit and spend time with us.  As a young girl I would  be so happy when I knew my father's friend or friends would be coming over or we visiting them.

I have been blessed by the same, I have many close long term friends who are there for support, fun and help in good and bad times. I cannot imagine my life without them.  For this I thank my father, for I know I wanted to have the type of friends he had.  I learned to have friends you have to be a friend and my father was a true friend to all.

Happy Father's Day to those who have passed and to all who are here.

@spiderw  Surely a blessing.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus Thank you for that beautiful tribute. How lucky you are to have had such a wonderful father. 

I never knew knew my father and have never had the chance to call anyone Dad, so I love reading stories like yours. You were very blessed and he was blessed to have a special daughter like you.

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Shanus 

picgifs-thank-you-5603949.gif

@Sweet_Serenity  You’re welcome. Have a wonderful weekend. 

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

@Shanus Thank you for that beautiful tribute. How lucky you are to have had such a wonderful father. 

I never knew knew my father and have never had the chance to call anyone Dad, so I love reading stories like yours. You were very blessed and he was blessed to have a special daughter like you.

Thanks @grandma petes.  You can share my memories if you’d like. He had enough love for many daughters. 💕

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@grandma petes wrote:

Thanks @grandma petes.  You can share my memories if you’d like. He had enough love for many daughters. 💕

Thank you Shanas....that’s one of the nicest things anyone has said to me. My heart just got a little fuller. What a special person you are. 

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes   😘

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

My dad chose booze over his family and left my mom to raise myself and 3 older sisters by herself. I was too young to remember much about him other than his face. My feelings for him are that he was just the sperm donor for my life, far from being a father. Love? Just the opposite!

Grew up in public housing projects, so almost all my childhood friends also had no father living with them. I think that made my childhood seem more normal than if I had grown up around my Catholic school mates, who all lived in homes, and had fathers.

Those that grew up with 2 loving parents were/are fortunate, and I sincerely hope they realize it. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Shanus

My dad chose booze over his family and left my mom to raise myself and 3 older sisters by herself. I was too young to remember much about him other than his face. My feelings for him are that he was just the sperm donor for my life, far from being a father. Love? Just the opposite!

Grew up in public housing projects, so almost all my childhood friends also had no father living with them. I think that made my childhood seem more normal than if I had grown up around my Catholic school mates, who all lived in homes, and had fathers.

Those that grew up with 2 loving parents were/are fortunate, and I sincerely hope they realize it. 

hckynut(john)

@hckynut. I feel badly that you “missed out”. I’m sure there are others w/ less positive experiences than mine.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Another Father’s Day and time to remember my Dad. Although July marks 5 years since he passed away, it seems like yesterday he was here with me. I never say, I “lost my father”, because I did not lose him...he’s still always with me, in my thoughts.

He was a very strong presence in my life...a buffer between my mother’s overbearing personality and me. Dad was the balancing scale, always even tempered and fair in making decisions (well, leaned in my direction a lot). I was definitely a “Daddy’s Girl”.

I enjoyed being with him even though I wasn’t particularly interested in what he was doing. He’d take me on the golf cart w/ him on Sundays...just to talk between holes and spend precious time together. There wasn’t anything we couldn’t talk about. He was so easy going and loving.

When my younger brother passed away suddenly, he was broken. It took him a long time to get over it (don’t think he ever did), but his strength pulled Mom and me through that rough time. We could always lean on him.

Cancer was diagnosed 2 years before he died. I was devastated. I knew he wouldn’t be with me forever, but the thought of his having to suffer...I would have willingly taken his pain. He handled the treatments like everything else in his life with dignity and strength. 

Hospice took over the last few months. I gladly drove the 3 hrs. each day to sit with him and hear his stories about the war, his childhood...anything he had to say I knew would be the last words I’d remember. 

When he had to eventually have pain patches, the meds  caused him sometimes to be confused. Because I always looked like his mother and was named after her, he’d often think I was her in those final days...it comforted him. He’d reach up, gently grab a handful of my curls and fall asleep. We both were content. 

His last day, he was so tired...holding on with his typical show of strength. I got up on the hospital bed and held him. I whispered to him as he held my curls. ‘Daddy, you’re so tired of fighting. You taught me your strength. I’ve got this and can take care of Mom. I will always love you. It’s OK for you to let go now and not be in any more pain. I’ll love you always”. Some time within the next few minutes, he took his last breath. I would never be the same, but his face looked peaceful and I loved him too much not to accept being without him.

Happy Father’s Day, Daddy. I’ll always think of you with love. 

Dear Shanus, I don't remember the last time I read something that touched my heart so. My Dad is 95 (Mom is 92), and I have always cherished them.  I'm devastated at the thought of losing them, but your post makes me even more grateful for them than I already am.  Thank you so much, and may God bless you, 

Trusted Contributor

I still have my father with me, but he is frail, and many health problems.  My heart tells me that it will not be long until we must say goodbye to him. 

But even in his older yrs, I can picture being on his lap, at the lake, and fishing with him.  I could gut, filet, and worm my fish at a very very early age.  Early mornings with him on that lake I cherish....he would call me his little Sandra !

For my dear ladies here, that no longer have their fathers on this earth, I cannot imagine the hole in your heart that you must feel.  Memories you all shall hold dear but that pain I bet just never really goes away.

I hope you all can remember your dads with a fond smile, and not as many tears come this Sunday.