Honored Contributor

ORGANIZING, COOKING AND FREEZING TODAY

[ Edited ]

DH and I took inventory of the freezers and pantry items over the weekend. We went food shopping and filled in what was needed. Of course, no paper towels or TP, but no flour and other items I didn't expect. 

Yesterday I baked brownies and banana breads to freeze and mail to my kids. Today is a major cook/freeze day. I'm doing a giant pot of bololgnese sauce that will be frozen in two portion containers. Also planned is a 3 lb. meatloaf to be frozen in portions as well. Minestrone soup was started at 6AM and cooling now. 

Are any of you in "snow storm" cook & freeze mode? 

Honored Contributor

Re: ORGANIZING, COOKING AND FREEZING TODAY

If only I had room for a lot of extra.  

When I make something like a meat loaf I do make a large one and freeze extra and can make 1 recipe of a bread or something else small and freeze some of it.  But I don't have enough extra freezer space to do much.

Trusted Contributor

Since it's just DH and I, cooking for two can be challenging at times, so I usually make large batches and freeze for future meals. I buy in bulk and use my Foodsaver...which is, in my humble opinion, one of the best kitchen tools anyone could own. I love having meals I can pull out of the freezer. Plus, doing large batch cooking means I only have a big mess to clean up once....then the rest of the time it's only a few dishes to wash. Homemade soups are my fave to make, but since we will hopefully have nice weather soon, I'm looking forward to grilling a lot. 

Respected Contributor

After we married 27 years ago we purchased a small upright freezer.  It is still going strong.  So I guess I can say I've always purchased in bulk and cooked multiple batches to freeze.  Something I learned from my parents who would buy 1/2 a steer and put up vegetables from their garden.  My mom didn't cook in bulk much, but their freezer was always stocked with meat, vegetables and homemade bread.

Right now, we have stuffed cabbage and peppers, hot sausage, pasta sauce, chili, baked goods, bread, etc.

Honored Contributor

I did that yesterday, I made spaghetti sauce and soup with a bunch of veg, that was near death.  There is no more room in the freezer for anything. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I do not have the luxury of room or multiple freezers, etc.  I cook on weekends making enough for my lunches/dinners throughout the week.  Thankfully, I'm still working and in my regular routine.

Honored Contributor

I will occasionally put leftovers in the freezer to enjoy again later, but never cook in bulk and freeze. I never felt a need to develop this habit, and now do not want a collection of plastic containers taking up space in my freezer.
Respected Contributor

Muffin tins make for great portioned meatloaves

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ 

I love this idea.  If I make a meatloaf in a 9x5 pan, there are always leftovers.  I'm planning to make meatloaf for supper and will use the muffin tins.  I have lots of them.  How long do you bake it in tins and is it 350?

Yesterday I made a crazy chocolate cake with Italian cream icing.  Yum.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ 

I love this idea.  If I make a meatloaf in a 9x5 pan, there are always leftovers.  I'm planning to make meatloaf for supper and will use the muffin tins.  I have lots of them.  How long do you bake it in tins and is it 350?

Yesterday I made a crazy chocolate cake with Italian cream icing.  Yum.

It depends if I'm using hamburger or turkey or combo meat. I usually bake for 20 minutes or so. Always set a pan under the muffin tin, I had a spill over and it was a mess! I top them with ketchup and a little bit of brown sugar. I use a big cookie scoop then dab the ketchup mixture on the top! This is so much faster to bake plus they are a nice size. I hope that helps.