Honored Contributor

Re: OPTIMISM GETTING TOUGHER?

[ Edited ]

All I can say is that maybe it depends on the area?

Some areas, from what I've been hearing, are continuing to socialize, etc.  Pot lucks, gatherings, etc.

Now, I don't know how true it is.  All second and third hand information.  All info re: other states/areas. 

Anyway, wishing everyone the best of luck.  I'd say that luck matters. 

Keep as safe as possible.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

The arrogant folks with their flippant  attitudes are ruining in for those who are doing what is right and following the guidelines. Sadly, many only care about themselves and are very selfish.  When you see people who are planning on celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas with family and friends like it is no big deal I think many are in for a big surprise. 

@RetRN   As cases rise I can't help but think of the medical professionals, already exhausted and spent, who face those still resisting the ability to protect eachother. 

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

The arrogant folks with their flippant  attitudes are ruining in for those who are doing what is right and following the guidelines. Sadly, many only care about themselves and are very selfish.  When you see people who are planning on celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas with family and friends like it is no big deal I think many are in for a big surprise. 

I hope that everyone follows the guidelines but in the past 6 months I have learned that I have to do what I think is best for me, and try not to worry about what others are doing.  I could drive myself nuts if  worried about everyone else (I'm not saying anyone here is doing that).  But I've learned that if a friend is not being socially distant and acting "normal", I just choose not to see that friend for now.  I can keep in touch electronically, but not in person.  If my boss is on yet another vacation, I make sure I keep my distance when she comes back into the office.  I'm not going change anyone else's behavior so I have to accept it and make changes on my end so I am safe. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure how optimism even fits in here. I go by data and science. When they tell me to be optimistic, then I will. Until then, I remain sensibly wary.

I want all of us should work hard at this in order to avoid tighter restrictions.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I'm so sorry. I was going to give you a pep talk and say some things that might give you hope but I'm sure some people will jump on me for it. Hang in there! 

They can jump on me, @Lali1 .  I am blessed not to be one who gets depressed, especially about things I can't control.  And let's be honest, that is a whole lot of things in this life.  I get my "optimism" from my faith.  I KNOW there is a better day coming.  I choose to enjoy each earthly day to the utmost.  This life is a vapor.  Poof and it is gone. 

I honestly have a sadness for those that feel the need to constantly post the latest medical journal reports, the latest recalls, the latest gloom and doom.  Also, I feel bad for those living alone.  Seclusion would be terrible.  

Yes, I miss seeing my kids that live far away, but they are busy with their kids and going to work.  We are all taking precautions as in the guidelines, but not living in a bubble.  None of us are without shelter or food.  We are healthy. We all have more than what we need.  We are thankful. 

I have my faith, not fear.  I wish this for others.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@CrazyDaisy   My mental health is fine considering what's going on. I'm sure, though, others are suffering terribly. 

Perhaps it's best to make decisions for yourself and let others do the same.

I have been saying that people should make the decision that is best for them from the very start.  Not a popular concept.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Just looking around at all the risky behaviors, I decided accepting is a more peaceful route.  Not entering any interior spaces for a while.  Will regroup in April.  Settles the mind.

Honored Contributor

Shanus,

Your post was one of the most realistic, sane and measured understandings of living during these difficult times that I have ever read.  Thank you for crystalizing so many of my inchoate thoughts.  

Yes, life is miserable and continues to present unending obstacles and no promise for a release from this h_ _ _ anytime soon.  That is what makes it so exhausting and dispiriting.

When I fear that I will lose my ability to stay upbeat, I try to remember all the sacrifices and anguish the citizens of war-torn countries experienced, especially during World War II.  I tell myself that all of us have to remain hopeful and hang in there.

Thank you for your thoughtful piece.  With such personal balance, you will endure well.  Best of luck to us all! 

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born @CrazyDaisy   Agree with you both!  I cannot be responsible for other people's behavior.  As Francesca said at the end of The Bridges of Madison County--"Do whatever you need to do to make yourself happy" and in the case of the virus do whatever you need to do to keep yourself safe.

There seems to be 2 extremes--those who don't go out except for necessities, wipe everthing down with disinfectant and plan on staying inside until an effective and safe vaccine is developed.

The other are those that go about their business as if nothing has changed.

I think there is a middle ground that each of us must find for ourselves.

Super Contributor

OMG,  Really,  just Really...  IT NEVER STOPS                             😜