Honored Contributor

I've always been a glass half full person...seeing the brighter side of situations. These past 7 months have tested me. The masks, hand washing, staying out of crowds, running from store to store looking for toilet paper or flour, I've managed to do all that.

Now when I hear "second waves", "flu season", vaccines further in the future, it's really hard to stay positive. I miss my kids and grandchildren. I want to sit with them for a turkey dinner, go to restaurants, movies and plays although theatres are all closed here. 

When we watch a TV movie or ad where families and friends are having a meal out, laughing, enjoying the conversation with others, on vacation, I'm envious. That's a trait I've avoided in myself. I'm really having a hard time remembering what my life used to be like.

Can I continue this way, staying close to home without my family and knowing as cold weather approaches, our outdoor visits will be impossible?  Do I have a choice? Maybe that's my biggest issue. I've always had some reasonable control over what happens in my life and the decisions I make. COVID has taken this control out of my hands.

Am I still optimistic? Yes, I am. I want to be an example for my children who are so frustrated working from home, teaching the kids and going on with their lives. Thank God they have jobs, food on the table and a roof over their heads. That's my reminder to them when I begin to hear their desperation. FaceTime and Zoom keep me as close as possible to the granddaughters, but I definitely miss the hugs. I remind them every day that this will not be forever and we have a bet that they WILL be back in school before they know it. My older one is concerned about my health and her Pop Pop every time she hears we're in the "risk group". I assure her we're healthy and following all the directions we can to stay that way. The children are stressed and worried like never before. I need to be positive for them, but also truthful, no sugar coating it. This is a scary time. 

I'm hoping all of you can find strength, faith, reasons to stay positive that will pull you through the coming months. Whatever it takes, we WILL see the other side of this awful time in history. Keep your glasses half full. 

Shanus 

Honored Contributor

Re: OPTIMISM GETTING TOUGHER?

I've been optimistic, but my NY. county , which has been pretty good until now,  is seeing a quite uptick in Covid and COVID deaths.  I'm afraid because of selfish people we are going to lose the progress we have gained.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I get depressed because I can't do what I want to do, i.e, travel, visit museums, concerts, etc.  BUT then I think of those families where both parents have to work, have to educate their children, have a hard time paying bills and I am so thankful I am where I am in life.

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry. I was going to give you a pep talk and say some things that might give you hope but I'm sure some people will jump on me for it. Hang in there! 

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for  voicing what I and many of my friends have been feeling as of late. Time has come for me to take a big deep breath and plow on ahead ( in my mask and socially distanced) knowing that  this too shall pass. I wish  hope and optimism to everyone in the face of this challenge we are all facing. 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I've been optimistic, but my NY. county , which has been pretty good until now,  is seeing a quite uptick in Covid and COVID deaths.  I'm afraid because of selfish people we are going to lose the progress we have gained.

@QVCkitty1   The governor of NC comes on TV around 2PM several days a week with a COVID case report. Our state is rising in cases, as well. We've curtailed some activities like walking in the malls and food shopping on weekends when more crowded. I also get angry seeing people without masks and not distancing. I know that can only lead to more cases. We'll have a tougher time coming out of this because of those who don't comply.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't say I'm optimistic but rather guardedly hopeful. That sounds a bit silly but the best I can do is accept what is and do my best to adhere to doctors' advice. With the loss of my niece, my husband's deteriorating cognition, and my dog's possible cancer, I just live in hope that things will not get any worse and that I'll have some control over my future.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian   You certainly have a lot of other issues going on in your life. I wish you well. 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1  I know what you mean. I think we may be in the same county in NY.

Esteemed Contributor

Of course you have a choice.  There are precautions that can be taken so people can safely do normal things.  Shame people have been convinced it is not an option, but fear is a powerful tool.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.