Trusted Contributor

Re: OPINIONS ON HAIRDRESSER SITUATION

I never realized how lucky I am.  I have gone to the same stylist for several years, and she has NEVER been late.  The woman before her at a different salon was never late either.  I wonder if some salons are booking appointments too close together.

Honored Contributor

I'm ruthless with hairdressers.   I'm a "two strikes and you're out" kind of gal.

Life is to short to put up with aggravation from hairdressers.

Honored Contributor

@LexPex wrote:

I have come here from time to time over the years and have gotten a lot of good advice.  Haven't asked for opinions in  in awhile but need advice now.

I have been going to my stlylist since 2005 and for the most part I like her work. ( As she and have have aged together it now takes her about 1/2 hour longer  to do my hair than the rest of the stylists( who occasionally do my hair)  It is bothersome but not a deal breaker.

I'll set the stage by telling you that 90% of the time she is late.... ten  minutes to 1/2 hour.  I have only been late  3/4 times in all those years.  I have mentioned  her lateness casually at few times.

In Novemember, I was 15 minutes late.She had a "puss" (my mom's saying) on her face.  I said "I told my husband that if I were late, you would be on time"  She said "Well the reason I'm late all the time is because of customers like you who show up late" I said "Sorry, but I am hardly ever late"  I was angry although I tried not to show it.

Surfice to say, this has been building up.  I really no longer enjoy going to the hairdresser probably because my hair and I have been at it for so long.  Also the older I get I am sure I my more impatient

do I break up with her or am I just being  a*****?

It is scary for me to try a new stylist

TIA for your feedback

Find another stylist one that respects her clients time and can manage her own time 

I dumped a long time very talented person for this exact reason and there are many good hair people out there 

Respected Contributor

Everyone is different.  I would not have lasted 12 years with someone who is late 90% of the time, but that is me.  Your decision is 1) bit the bullet, or 2) find a new hair dresser, and only you know what is best for you.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@LexPex

Ugh...it’s like ‘breaking up’ with someone, right?!

There's never a good time.

I know it’ll feel icky for a second or two...

especially if your new stylist is in the same salon, but it’s time.  

Who knows? Maybe she’s been trying to ‘break up’ with you

after all this time...hence the continued lateness.  

Either way, it’s time.  Make the jump.  

It’ll feel good & empowering to know you made this change for yourself.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@LexPex  she sounds like a real B****.  FIRE HER A**!

Honored Contributor

The shop should have a policy on being late for an appointment for the customer , the hairdresser should notify her client ASAP if she is running more than a half hour late. That way the client can cancel the appointment if she can't wait the half hour. I had to wait a half hour last time I went for a hair cut, but that's unusual for my hairdresser. I have been going to her for 10 years simply because her shop is 2 miles away. Even though I sometimes just get an ok haircut I stick with her because of the other positives. You have to decide if you like her work enough to put up with the other stuff.

Respected Contributor

@LexPex   There are seasons in our lives for everything.

I would find a new hairdresser.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I had a similar problem....We exchanged phone numbers and she texts me if she is running late and I text her if I am stuck in traffic...

If she is running late, I can stop at the Post Office or pick up dry cleaning on the way....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LexPex

In my case I find it extremely difficult to "fire" my hairdresser because I searched high & low, tried 8-10 stylists, etc. before 5 years ago I finally found a hairdresser who does my color & cut right!!!

I say it's difficult mainly because lately she's been "hit or miss", i.e., unevenly cut, color a little off, late for appt./changing my (all) appts if she wants to go away, etc. so I did tell her I can't deal with this!

I've expressed the following:

1.  If you're running late - call or text me (I'm only 10 min away)

2.  If you have a personal problem (kids, boyfriend) cancel my appt as she has off days for sure😳 I can always tell not only by my crappy haircut but she is "preoccupied" thinking😬

3.  If you want to go on vacation & I'm scheduled - fine but at least put me in the next week. (She only works 3 days).

4.  I only had to cancel once with much notice and I'm never late.  But, I have noticed she gets a call for a appt. & then I'll show up -- she will say "oh you have appt. I have someone" - so I now bring the appt card SHE wrote & yes, I refuse to reschedule.  I used to say "oh I'll wait!" Not anymore!!!

I know she does a good job & I pay her (inc. tip) very well so we've worked it out!  Maybe you can do the same. A good hairdresser/stylist is hard to find!!!