Super Contributor

I am divorced for several years, and am thinking of trying on line dating.  Has anyone had any luck with it?  And which website is the best....Match, Eharmony, etc?

Would appreciate any tips you can give me.  I am in my late 50's and this is a new world for me!!  I don't even know how to write up a profile.  I really want to start dating but its very scary, so much is different today than 35 years ago when I last dated.

Thanks in advance for any info/help you can offer.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure others will offer more positive experiences, but online dating was an a terrible experience for me.  I expected a bit of fibbing and not the most current photos, but I seem to attract more jerks that I cared to deal with.  I admit it was difficult for me to write an embellished profile for myself and while I may be a nice and caring person, I need some warming up time for personal relations.  Dating works better for me if it's handled by the old fashioned channels of someone who really knows me fixing me up, or me stepping out on a limb with someone I've gotten to know as an acquaintance and shifting that to a dating relationship.  I should add that I never crossed into dating with anyone associated with my work or house of worship. 

Please don't let me discourage you.  If online dating is something you really would like to try I say go for it.  It could be wonderful. If not, you don't ever have to see the other person again and unlike when you are hooked up by friends or family, there's little chance of running into the guy at a party or event.  

Honored Contributor

You need to be the type of person who has great radar for the cheaters and the liars because online dating is full of married men and other liars.  But you are only looking for ONE good guy.   

All the same men are on all the sites, so it doesn't matter which is best.   They may have different names and different pictures but it's all the same guys, they just make up new stories to fit the profile.   In other words, if you are on eharmony, they will tell you they go to church every Sunday, if you are on Farmers, they will tell you all about the land they have, or was raised on a farm etc.  You get the picture.

I tried it for a while years ago, nothing serious.   I just am not a very trusting person to begin with.   I remember one guy had a picture where he's very nicely dressed.   He told me he was single.    I kind of recognized the background, looked like the sanctuary of  my church and I know all the singles in my church.    So I baited him.   Asked him if he was a member of such & such church.   He said yes, why do you ask?      That's when I told him I recognized the church in the picture and he's not single, because I know all the singles in the church.   Bam!  Jerk.

Even people who don't drink can find a good person in a bar.   Singles congregate in all sorts of places, internet too.    Just keep your expectations reasonable and be safe & smart.   

I never did find anyone online but from being in chat rooms, etc. I did find my husband through mutual friends.    Most of the people I chatted with were friends IRL, we knew each other from work or met at parties.  I met my husband through a friend of a friend and it turned out I knew his mom, she lived in my neighborhood.   Small world.

@qvc chick

Regular Contributor

Re: ON LINE DATING??

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick wrote:

I am divorced for several years, and am thinking of trying on line dating.  Has anyone had any luck with it?  And which website is the best....Match, Eharmony, etc?

Would appreciate any tips you can give me.  I am in my late 50's and this is a new world for me!!  I don't even know how to write up a profile.  I really want to start dating but its very scary, so much is different today than 35 years ago when I last dated.

@qvc chick

Hi! Smiley Happy  Many posters replied to your February thread about the same topic:

"Anyone have luck with online dating sites?? "
https://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/Anyone-have-luck-with-online-dating-sites/m-p/3505883#M13...

qvc chick  

‎02-07-2017 11:16 AM

wrote:

"I am in my mid 50's, and divorced for a number of years. My only daughter is about to move out on her own, and I am not used to living alone...

Would love to try out one of the dating sites....I am hearing good things about Match.com, also E-Harmony.

Anyone tried these sites? What one do you prefer? Any luck meeting someone?

Please - let me know your ideas! This is all very new to me.""

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick What are you waiting for?  Get a three month trial at Match and see what you think. I met my husband with in the first three months, so you never know. 

I don't have any experience with eharmony but nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Or ask us again in 8 months! 😛🌸

Honored Contributor

@dreamieLil wrote:

@qvc chick wrote:

@qvc chick

Hi! Smiley Happy  Many posters replied to your February thread about the same topic:

"Anyone have luck with online dating sites?? "
https://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/Anyone-have-luck-with-online-dating-sites/m-p/3505883#M13...

qvc chick  

‎02-07-2017 11:16 AM

wrote:

"I am in my mid 50's, and divorced for a number of years. My only daughter is about to move out on her own, and I am not used to living alone...

Would love to try out one of the dating sites....I am hearing good things about Match.com, also E-Harmony.

Anyone tried these sites? What one do you prefer? Any luck meeting someone?

Please - let me know your ideas! This is all very new to me.""

Thought it looked familiar

Well fool me twice, shame on me

Respected Contributor

@qvc chick  I joined a dating service many, many years go, with mixed results.  There was one good match with a guy from a nearby city, and he used to take me on some really fun (and expensive) dates in my city.  I don't regret the fun times I had with him, but I'm pretty sure he had another girlfriend in his home city.

There were others I met where I wanted to leave the meeting place as soon as I met them.........totally a waste of time.  I have a girlfriend who at your age joined an online dating service and met nothing but jerks.

Personally, I prefer spending time in places where I will meet new people and have a chance to get to know them a little before spending time one on one.  My gym is a great place for that, although I'm no longer interested in dating, I have made a lot of great friends there.

Laura loves cats!
Super Contributor
My brother in law used Match and I think E-Harmony. He dated three women for more than one year-- one became his wife (soon to be ex-wife). The women all suited him well. The ex had been married before and truth be told I found her a little over-bearing and opinionated. They are divorcing b/c they have one child and "had agreed to have three" and she decided that one is enough. Well......ok then !!! lol I would just say to not believe all as advertised....do NOT give away crucial, personal info........and if you meet this person just be cautious. There is a site for over 50---I think called Our Time ? Not sure how old you are but maybe an option. Is there a singles group in your area ? There is one in NY for single people who are new to the area and looking for things to do---like trips to NYC, fishing charters, whale watching, ball games. The purpose is to get a group of single people together and have them meet and mingle--- take pressure off of meeting one one one.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dating websites are full of men who just want sex.

They want tall, blonde women who are in their 20's, who are thin and have big breasts.

You would have better luck finding a guy at your church, book club, or other local community activities.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My bachelor son uses dating sites when he wants a date and the women he dates are his type and around his age. He is not interested in marriage and the women know that up front. I know he won't go out with anyone who is not physically fit and prefers women who are adventurous and athletic. He did date one darling woman for almost a year, but she wanted the relationship to progress and he was not interested. I know he uses the site Plenty of Fish and that's a free dating service. Good luck sister, at my age if my husband died I would just get a dog.