Honored Contributor

I was once pulling a 28 ft. trailer for work on a major interstate.  A brown moth flew into my face.  I am absolutely moth phobic and it was all I could do to pull this rig over to the side of the road.  Had it been a snake I probably wouldn't be here now.  I say I'm not afraid of snakes until I get near one.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I was once pulling a 28 ft. trailer for work on a major interstate.  A brown moth flew into my face.  I am absolutely moth phobic and it was all I could do to pull this rig over to the side of the road.  Had it been a snake I probably wouldn't be here now.  I say I'm not afraid of snakes until I get near one.

@depglass

Even a moth as beautiful as the oleander hawk moth?

oleander hawk moth

Of course it's about the size of your hand and if it had flown into your face while you were driving you probably wouldn't be here to post about it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Okay, Better-half and I were down in the bosque again today with the dog and we saw another snake on the trail.  It looked like a baby rattler but, upon further investigation, this baby had no rattle. 

Actually, baby rattlers don't have rattles.  Hmmmm.

So just a warning.  If you really don't care for snakes, you might want to avoid New Mexico.

They're heeee-ere...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: OMG! News Story

[ Edited ]

I grew up in N CA and snakes were something you saw fairly regularly.  It was mostly rattlesnakes, near as I can recall.

BTW - Jif FTW!  I called it.   Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I do realize that every life form has a purpose but I'll pass on whatever purpose I might enjoy with a snake. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

And the snake probably said " I just wanted to say hello !

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Well I don't live too far  away from Warrenton, Va and I can tell you there are some harty and amazing women in Warrenton.....they don't let a little thing like a snake get in their way!

As for me....I'd have jumped out of that car so quickly.....I like to think I'd have stopped it first.  Ha!

@Annabellethecat66  you and me both!  

Esteemed Contributor

I hate bugs and despise snakes. We had garden snakes where I live...totally innocuous but gross to those of us with unnatural fears. I don’t see them very much anymore but I do recall their presence in the woods where we live. If I were that woman in the car, I would have exited while screaming and would never set foot in my vehicle until the reptile was removed.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I hope the snake was okay. Those glue traps are nasty, trapping an animal until it starves to death. I would've thought, once she was home, she could've just left the car doors open.

And at least she wouldn't have to worry about mice in her car!

And exchange the snake for spiders, rats, every cat in the neighborhood, and the things animals leave behind? Nope.

A Washington Post article I read said the husband put the snake in the back of his truck and drove off and the wife didn't know what happened to the snake. I don't know if you can get a snake off a glue trap without solvents, so I don't know if would have been able to get the snake off the trap and let it go. Smiley Sad

Frequent Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I would have most likely driven off the road, screaming loud enough so that people 5 miles away would have heard me, flipped the car over while hitting a guardrail or some other object because my foot would have been frozen to the gas pedal.

Still screaming, I would have forgotten my seat belt was still in place as I tried to exit the car; not being able to I would have been convinced that the snake was wrapping itself with glee to hold me back with the intent to horrify me even more as it hides behind the deployed airbag.

Eventually the screaming would have stopped but not before the last bits of hair that have not turned silver were now either falling out or snow white.

Of course, my cell phone would be beyond my reach; eventually a semi-cooler head would prevail as I crawl out of the car and run down the road (more like limp down the road with my hip) waving frantically at passing motorists, all the while shuddering as I brush myself off in case the snake managed to hitch on to me when I left the car.

Eventually somebody stops and calls 9-1-1 and offers me a bottle of water.  I still cannot cohenrently explain about the snake; the motorist thinks it's just a "regular" car accident.

The EMTs arrive along with the police; I am having trouble saying "s-s-s-snake" but it doesn't matter.  They think I am in shock from the accident.

I continue brushing myself off and by now they think I'm on meth or something and I must be hallucinating insects on me; couple that with my wide eyes, now dirty clothes, and my hair most likely fluffed out from the shock-I look not so much like a person who just had an accident but a person who drove under the influence of some type of drug.

At least my cell phone wasn't in my hand; they would have figured texting was involved somehow.

I pray the car cannot be salvaged because I just know that snake had a family squatting in it.

Later DH and family will have a good chuckle at my expense; that's ok.  Because if that snake could mock me, I guess it's ok for the loved ones to do the same.

Oh my goodness woman, you had me in tears reading this!!!!  You made my day!!!   I DETEST snakes!!!!!!!!