Honored Contributor

Re: OMG! My Phone Just Started Making A Loud Sound!

We got those phone alerts last evening when I was out for dinner.  We've had so many weather warnings in recent days that I wasn't unduly alarmed. This one, however, was a flash flood warning.  And I can see why.  We ended up with 3 inches of rain in just an couple of hours.  We're forecast to have a dry day today, but storms tomorrow evening.  Next week looks very similar to what we've been going through this past week.  Wish we could share some of our rains with those suffering droughts and fires.

Honored Contributor

Imagine being on a crowded train when hundreds of those alerts go off. Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

It happened here to us one night when all three cell phones went off at the same time.

It scared the living daylights out of us and sent the cat running for parts unknown.

We all disabled the weather alerts - if there is an extreme weather occurrence we get a reverse 911 call on the landline from our police department.

We also disabled the amber alerts, seemes as they only come through in the middle of the night.

Honored Contributor

When I get that loud warning shrill on my phone its always followed by an announcement telling me of the current warning in my area.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

It happened here to us one night when all three cell phones went off at the same time.

It scared the living daylights out of us and sent the cat running for parts unknown.

We all disabled the weather alerts - if there is an extreme weather occurrence we get a reverse 911 call on the landline from our police department.

We also disabled the amber alerts, seemes as they only come through in the middle of the night.

@CelticCrafter.  That's the first thing I did. Disabled all that stuff.

Respected Contributor

Please don't disable these alerts.

You never know what the situation is.

We have had serious fires in our town and these alerts have saved lives.

they are terrifying to hear and I feel as though I am having a heart attack everytime they sound.  We have been evacuated several times. When things are dangerous minutes even seconds count.

Last week we had an alert, a swat team was dealing with a mentally ill armed man not far from our house. People were told to shelter in place.

Don't always assume you know wht the danger is.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, we lost two 50’ spruce trees in a  Christmas Day storm.  It took us days to clean it up.  Losing a tree while it still has leaves will make the cleanup even worse.

Stay safe in the weather extremes!  LM

Honored Contributor

It's a case of crying wolfe too often.  You'd have to live in hole to not know there is flooding around and to be extra careful!

It seldom happens (the loud noise) that's what shocked me.

The one that bothers me is when I get a noise on my phone and there's been a child abduction.  Oh!  Really!  Well, that's all it says!  No other information AT ALL.

So what good does it do me?  It's not like I could look for a car (any car) a child (no description) .

Well, you get the idea.  This has happened a few times.  It makes no sense at all.

My favorite are the one's that come on the TV (usually late at night during a popular show) telling you they are checking the signals in case there is an alarm (something like that).

What are we supposed to do if there's something serious going on?  No one anywhere has ever said anything about what to do and what the alarm might be.

I live in an area where we don't have tornados.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

It's a case of crying wolfe too often.  You'd have to live in hole to not know there is flooding around and to be extra careful!

It seldom happens (the loud noise) that's what shocked me.

The one that bothers me is when I get a noise on my phone and there's been a child abduction.  Oh!  Really!  Well, that's all it says!  No other information AT ALL.

So what good does it do me?  It's not like I could look for a car (any car) a child (no description) .

Well, you get the idea.  This has happened a few times.  It makes no sense at all.

My favorite are the one's that come on the TV (usually late at night during a popular show) telling you they are checking the signals in case there is an alarm (something like that).

What are we supposed to do if there's something serious going on?  No one anywhere has ever said anything about what to do and what the alarm might be.

I live in an area where we don't have tornados.

@Annabellethecat66 I believe you live in VA outside DC; a tornado touched down in Fairfax 2 days ago at Thomas Jefferson High School.  Obviously not a major tornado, but still pretty rare for the area.

You would think everyone knows to be careful about flooding, but people still try to drive through what looks like a puddle in a bad storm - and it ends terribly.  I don't see any harm in reminding people to pay attention. 

I don't think I've ever had a missing child alert that did not contain car information and descriptions. 

Honored Contributor

Well, you know what!  I'm just not worried because if I'm in front of my TV I will think about going downstairs to the bathroom that has no windows, that (since I live alone) I keep a radio in there that's wind up, with cat food, etc.

So you see, it's all good.  If I'm out somewhere I'll figure out something.

I just don't worry about things.  I live alone and even when I was married my husband traveled a lot.  You would not believe the things I've totally taken care of on my own.

So, it's all good.