Honored Contributor

Re: OMG! My Phone Just Started Making A Loud Sound!

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I hope it stops raining where you are soon @Annabellethecat66.  My phone did that several times a few months ago.  It was always an Amber Alert.  I don't want Amber Alerts and figured out how to turn them off.  It had never done it before.  I wonder why they suddenly started sending them.  

To save lives. They've been pushed to smartphones phones since 2013. They issue Ambers Alerts to make people aware of a critical situation because the more eyes you have who might see and report something, the greater the odds you will recover the child alive.

Later they added flash flood alerts, also to save lives, because a flash flood can happen in minutes and wash everyone away at any time of day. Entire homes and the families inside have been washed away in flash floods.

@Alison Wonderland ITA.  The more eyes you have see it, the better the chances. Last night I checked the weather on my weather app, and it cross referenced an amber alert for the location I was checking.  I was so glad they did that.  People will unfortunately turn off alerts, but they still check the weather.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I wanted to add something else...  when I hear emergency vehicle sirens, I always stop and say a prayer for all involved.   The alerts offer a similar opportunity to offer a simple prayer of hope for all those affected by the troubles, dangers, potential perils that generated the warnings.❤️   

@dooBdoo Me too.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I hope it stops raining where you are soon @Annabellethecat66.  My phone did that several times a few months ago.  It was always an Amber Alert.  I don't want Amber Alerts and figured out how to turn them off.  It had never done it before.  I wonder why they suddenly started sending them.  

To save lives. They've been pushed to smartphones phones since 2013. They issue Ambers Alerts to make people aware of a critical situation because the more eyes you have who might see and report something, the greater the odds you will recover the child alive.

Later they added flash flood alerts, also to save lives, because a flash flood can happen in minutes and wash everyone away at any time of day. Entire homes and the families inside have been washed away in flash floods.

I don't remember how many years I've had my iPhone but I've had it a while.  The alerts I started getting about six months ago were the first ones I've ever had.  I know they're to save lives, but I wondered why they just started sending them.

On my phone you have to read the alert while the buzzer is sounding.  I'm always so anxious to turn it off, and then I don't know where the alert is to get it back and read it.  It has always been amber alerts on my phone, so I did turn them off.  I wouldn't mind getting weather alerts.

@NickNack

I have downloaded a couple of local weather apps on my devices.  They will send weather alerts for your immediate area, if you choose to allow that option.

(They’re not quite as loud as the Amber Alert, though.)🙂

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@NickNack

I have downloaded a couple of local weather apps on my devices.  They will send weather alerts for your immediate area, if you choose to allow that option.

@geezerette,  I used to have a couple of great weather apps with customizable alerts, but neither one is available now.   (The developer discontinued the best one, and the other was "updated" and had all manner of glitches).   I'd love to find at least one good iPad and iPhone weather app with alerts, and also I'm thinking about finding a cordless, wireless weather alert radio.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

I wanted to add something else...  when I hear emergency vehicle sirens, I always stop and say a prayer for all involved.   The alerts offer a similar opportunity to offer a simple prayer of hope for all those affected by the troubles, dangers, potential perils that generated the warnings.❤️   

@dooBdoo Me too.  Heart

❤️ @Mj12

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@NickNack

@geezerette,  I used to have a couple of great weather apps with customizable alerts, but neither one is available now.   (The developer discontinued the best one, and the other was "updated" and had all manner of glitches).   I'd love to find at least one good iPad and iPhone weather app with alerts, and also I'm thinking about finding a cordless, wireless weather alert radio.

@dooBdoo

Oh yes, the dreaded “updates”.  I had a local weather app that was perfect.  I like to look at the radar map, especially during our tornado-type storms.  It had a great map, as well as notification alerts.  Well, you can guess what I’m going to say.  Not too long ago, they updated the app, and now the map page is mostly ads with no way to get rid of them.  Granted, it is a free app.

I tried a couple of the national weather apps, like The Weather Channel, but I didn’t care for them.  I just make do with my local ones.  

I also have a weather radio, but it is wired.  I haven’t heard of any that are wireless.  That sounds interesting.  I still find the most accurate weather forecasting are my local television stations.  If I see something is headed my way, then I go to the internet.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote: 

@dooBdoo

Oh yes, the dreaded “updates”.  I had a local weather app that was perfect.  I like to look at the radar map, especially during our tornado-type storms.  It had a great map, as well as notification alerts.  Well, you can guess what I’m going to say.  Not too long ago, they updated the app, and now the map page is mostly ads with no way to get rid of them.  Granted, it is a free app.

I tried a couple of the national weather apps, like The Weather Channel, but I didn’t care for them.  I just make do with my local ones.  

I also have a weather radio, but it is wired.  I haven’t heard of any that are wireless.  That sounds interesting.  I still find the most accurate weather forecasting are my local television stations.  If I see something is headed my way, then I go to the internet.  

I hear you, @geezerette!   I feel for the developers, especially with the free apps and all the technical considerations, but it's gotten tiresome sorting through reviews and then finding something that works well only to have it change dramatically after a short time and a few "updates."  The one I liked the best wasn't free, but gosh I don't want to keep buying others just to try them out and then find that they aren't suitable.   As far as the radio, a couple of our local meteorologists really like and recommend the Midland Weather Alert Radio that taps into the actual NOAA alerts and activity, so I'm thinking about getting that one.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo

I have a Midland Weather Radio.  Our weathermen also recommend them.  In fact, during the spring months (tornado season), they go out to various locations every week and program them for anyone who shows up.  

Its not wireless, but it sure does let you know when there is severe weather headed your way!  I have mine on my bedside table and I have turned off the sound.  The flashing lights are enough to wake me up to find out more about any weather warnings.  They’re reasonably priced and I’ve had mine for years.  Easy to program—and they have Amber Alerts too!😄

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation, @geezerette!   Stay safe out there!😊