Honored Contributor

OMG! My Phone Just Started Making A Loud Sound!

It's an emergency signal telling me Emergency Flooding in my area!  

It's sitting in my lap and the noise is terrible!  It has been raining here for more than a week!  

Not just light rain!  It's pouring down raining!  The thunder is so loud.

Back in 2001 lightning hit my house (for the 3rd time) and we couldn't live it in for 5 full months.

I can hear it hitting a tree in the woods behind me.  You hear a loud boom and a crack and then the tree falls!

Here we go again.  The house next to me had a tree fall down in their front yard over the weekend.  The entire tree just came up out of the ground....roots and everything!  The tree is huge!

They just started cutting it up yesterday.  It's going to take more than a week to even cut it up to a manageable state.  The tree was beautiful.  So full of beautiful green leaves.  What a mess!

Honored Contributor

Re: OMG! My Phone Just Started Making A Loud Sound!

That happened to me last week!  My phone made a weird shrill sound and I had no idea what was going on so I shut if off.  Turned it on 30 minutes later and the same thing happened.  Then my nephew came by and said it was flash flood warning and I should look at my texts.  Sure enough, flash flood warning.  I never had a phone do that before.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear what all of you are going through with so much continuous rain. I hope you get some relief soon....just know that others are thinking of you.

Honored Contributor

I hope it stops raining where you are soon @Annabellethecat66.  My phone did that several times a few months ago.  It was always an Amber Alert.  I don't want Amber Alerts and figured out how to turn them off.  It had never done it before.  I wonder why they suddenly started sending them.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

That happened with my phone too, such a bold notification, it scared me. It was late in the evening and I told my husband we had to evacuate and he started laughing. We live pretty high up on the hill and he said it would have to be a Noah type flood before we would need to leave our house. Not funny. IMO

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  That loud screeching is to tell you about an emergency. Shouldn't you be paying attention & maybe be making plans to get out if necessary. Flash floods happen very quickly.

Honored Contributor

My phone has been doing that for the last two days.  It scares the life out of me when everything is quiet and it is not expected.

@151949  Just because you get the alarm doesn't mean that you will have to evacuate or that your house is in the flood zone.  The alarm will go off if there is an emergency somewhere in your county.

i live in a very high area that will never flood, but there are areas near me that do flood. 

My DH noticed a sink hole starting in the street at the end of our driveway.  There is a storm drain near there, but some water is going into the small sinkhole instead which is getting bigger and bigger.  He reported it to the township today.

i also have some very large pine trees that are top heavy.  I worry that the ground will become too saturated and they will topple over.

i just hope all this rain stops soon.

Honored Contributor

I know what it is.  I also live on top of a very high hill surrounded by many, many trees.

There are a lot of small creeks all around my area.  Sometimes they overflow.

I also live near a huge ******.  Today when my friend and I went over it the water was going so fast it was crazy!

Depending on how much water flows over it, they raise and lower it.

Esteemed Contributor

Please stay safe .... flash floods are no joke🙂

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66  That loud screeching is to tell you about an emergency. Shouldn't you be paying attention & maybe be making plans to get out if necessary. Flash floods happen very quickly.

@151949 Just going to say the same thing.  It can't be that much of an emergency if she has to post about a rain storm (yes I live in the area also), I just don't find it necessary to post an over abundance of drama about summer rains.  If you have time to post about them, there is no emergency