Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Anonymous032819,

As a newbie to the boards, I urge you to do a lot of reading and get to know a poster and their circumstances before you jump in with both feet and criticize.   

The OP is extremely knowledgeable and aware of her husband’s condition.   She’s got this; her daughter however, even with the best intentions, has made things more difficult than they already are.     

@RedTop I couldn't agree with you more.  

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

All I know is, after her husband's first accident, that should have been her wake up call to take away the keys, that he was going down hill mentally.

The next time could be deadly.

What if he mistakes the gas pedal for the break, and plows in to a crowd of people? Again, how is her being in the passenger seat going to prevent that?

Answer is, it can't and wouldn't.

It is best to take the keys away before an accident happens, and not after.

I can guarantee you, that is guilt that one does not want to have, the "I could have.. I should have".

But, be that as it may, you have your opinion, and I have mine, and I side with the daughter.

It's better to be proactive than reactive.

He could also mistake the break for the brake.

She has said he isn't driving. He seems to have accepted that he can't drive. There was no reason for her daughter to invade their home in this way.

I'm guessing she has a better idea of the situation than someone on a forum.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband is not driving anymore. My daughter has not called us in a long time. She is angry that my husband ripped out all her spy gadgets. I am with my husband 24/7 and am able to watch his every move. Dealing with his disease isn’t easy but I try to make the best of it.

I think my daughter wanted to be proactive. She wanted me to take my husband around the country to find a clinical trial he could enroll in. I spoke to my husband’s neurologist who confirmed my thoughts. There are many research trials going on. So far they are very far from a cure. If President Reagan, Glen Campbell, and the woman’s basketball coach could not be saved, there isn’t much the rest of us can do. I want my husband’s final years to be filled with joy, not hospitals and sickening meds. I think my daughter has just not accepted what is happening.