Honored Contributor

Didn't you also say that she had a camera installed in the garage to see who is getting in the car to drive it?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, my husband tore out the camera. I hope we can get our car back. No good deed goes unpunished.

Esteemed Contributor

Our car was carted off. I pray we can have the gizmo that created the killswitch will be eliminated. My husband is furious, since he didn’t know our daughter had created the problem. I hope we can deal with the implications of the troubles.

Esteemed Contributor

Did you know she was doing this and neither one of you told your husband or did she take the car w/o permission?

Honored Contributor

I never heard of this!  Where is it on the car?  What's the purpose of it?

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 , I was wondering the same thing...never heard of it, but I am sure it's an add on.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a car that had a factory installed kill switch.

If someone attempted to take the car without permission (and who didn't know about the switch), it would automatically stop running within 60 secs.  It could not be re-started then.

The driver in the know (me) could start the car and then pull up on a hidden switch under the dash, to disable it and then drive the car.

@Annabellethecat66 @Mom2Dogs 

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor
A kill switch disables the engine so the car cannot start, usually installed as a theft deterrent. There are different types but I think they most commonly stop electricity, preventing ignition. They can be disabled but it slows down a car thief.

I’m sorry bout your car. Certainly you can get your car back. I’m sorry to hear bout your husband’s Alzheimer’s. As you know, it is not safe for him to drive. Depending on the progression of his disease, you may or may not be able to have a calm discussion with him. I appreciate your daughter’s concern. Hopefully she consulted with you before putting in the kill switch. I’m concerned you said DH ripped out the camera in the garage. Alzheimer’s can cause personality and behavioral changes that can make safety a challenge for the person with Alzheimer’s as well as caregivers if there is aggressive behavior. Please consult with your husband’s physician for help. There are also wonderful support groups in many communities.
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia , thanks for the learning moment....had no clue!....So you had to 'disable' everytime you drove the car?

Honored Contributor

I’m sorry this happened to you, and I think you just don’t need all this added stress at this time.

My husband had Alzheimer’s Disease, too.  My family respected my decision making abilities.   When my husband could no longer drive, I sold the extra vehicles and kept the keys to the remaining one in my possession.  (Or where he couldn’t find them).  That is enough.  Can’t imagine why something called a kill switch is needed?