Esteemed Contributor

My daughter took it upon herself to install a kill switch in our one and only car. My husband has Alzheimer’s and she thought she was doing us a favor. This morning I discovered that the kill switch died. I am now carless. I phoned those who installed it and they will have it towed to remove this mess. My husband is furious since he did not know my daughter did this. What a mess!

Esteemed Contributor

Oh no!  I had a sports car with one of those under the dash.  I never did think about it failing.

Let us know how it shakes out!  That sounds like a perilous place to be.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

Quite aggaravating. Even though you love her and understand her motives, she was meddling in your decision-making about handling your own problems. People should "help" when asked or only if their offer and particular solution/method  is accepted.

Make sure your daughter knows she will be responsible for the bill for the reversal of this unrealistic step she undertook. Then, if possible, get yourself to where she lives and take her car until yours is fixed and returned to you.  If she is inconvenienced or burdened with expense she will be better able to remember to handle her own life and let you handle yours. It's not punitive; it's a part of maturity to accept responsibitbity for judgment and impulsive actions that result in inconveneince and hassle for someone else.

I hope the car is able to be fixed and back in your hands rapidly. I'm sure your husband will find a way to be forgiving about it. His Alzheimers might be making him more sensitive to frustration, but it will sink in that she is family and that she overstepped without any malice intended. It'll all be all right in a little while, you'll feel less vulnerable, and hopefully, there will be no new stuff to aggravate you all.

Esteemed Contributor

"My daughter took it upon herself to install a kill switch in our one and only car" and I allowed her to.

There, fixed it for you.

Honored Contributor

So if you are ever tempted to say to the children of parents who need help "Why don't you make them".  .  . Don't say it.  Now you know. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t pretend to know the history of all this, but the thought of anyone with Alzheimer’s disease driving a car would likely induce me to take desperate measures.  

Honored Contributor

I may have missed it, but Vivian, does he still drive, or are you the only driver?  Can you rent a car if it'll take longer than one day to remove that gizmo?

Honored Contributor

Re: OMG! Kill switch died

[ Edited ]

@Vivian   Aww Viv, you had no idea the kill switch could malfunction like that and lock you out of your own car.  It's one of those live and learn things.  Sorry you were inconvenienced.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: OMG! Kill switch died

[ Edited ]

Oh dear, sorry to hear this.  X-DH had a kill switch installed on his truck.  It malfunctioned at 2AM while he was driving.  This was before cell phones.  Luckily he was only 3 miles from home, so he ended up walking the rest of the way.  It was winter and cold.  He was not a happy camper.

Honored Contributor

Well, YOU don't alzheimer's so if she did it without your permission then she definitely over stepped and was incredibly presumputious.  There would be no excuse for that.  But if you knew, then all you can do is let them tow the car and fix it.  If your husband is still driving then I totally understand the need.  That's the thing with Alzheimers, they lose the ability to make good judgements and to see beyond what they want.  So, reasoning with them isn't possible.