Respected Contributor
Spoiler

I love Old Town Alexandria!  We lived in the area for 40 years and went to Old Town quite often.  The Wharf, The Fish Market   & Bilbo Baggins are favorites of mine!  Go to the Xmas Attic on Union Street, a very eclectic & unique store, I know the owners!  Have a great time!  Go to Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington, the drive up the GW Parkway is lovely.  I worked there for over 9 years!    Beautiful views of the Potomac River from Mount Vernon!

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

I am going for a weekend to Alexandria.  Staying at a hotel in town.

Any thoughts on what to do, restaurants, etc.?  I won't have a car, so looking to do something in the town.

We are foodies, wondering if there are any food tours, cooking classes, etc.

Thanks!

@qvc chick  I recommend Pop’s on King St. for great ice cream. The Torpedo Factory, near the water, is a wondeful accumulation of artist studios, artists at work and a lot of things to purchase from pottery, paintings, jewelry, yard art, etc.

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

I am going for a weekend to Alexandria.  Staying at a hotel in town.

Any thoughts on what to do, restaurants, etc.?  I won't have a car, so looking to do something in the town.

We are foodies, wondering if there are any food tours, cooking classes, etc.

Thanks!

Sur La Table on King Street has cooking classes - here is their calendar:

https://www.surlatable.com/browse/storeCalendar.jsp?storeId=131

For food tours - DC Metro Food Tours offers a tour of Old Town:

http://www.dcmetrofoodtours.com/old_town_1.html

We've been on a DC Metro Food Tour, but not the Old Town tour.

Respected Contributor

Moved to N. VA in 1966 and another heads up - rush hour in DC and it's suburbs begins around 2-3pm and ends about 7pm and I believe it's now considered the worst in the US.  During that time you will want to try to use Metro bc even if you take taxis or Uber those modes of transportation will have to be out there battling the same roads during this time.  Metro will be more crowded but at least you are not using the crowded roads into or out of the city!

Valued Contributor

@qvc chick, it so happens that our son & his wife have a booth at the art show going on there THIS weekend..today was nice, but they expect rain tomorrow (Sunday) 

he makes beautiful wood & glass lamps, sort of a Frank Lloyd Wright- style..

so, if you go to the art show, maybe you will see him, hope you have a fun day!