Respected Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2015 - Back Fence

@Bird mama wrote:

I've heard the same reports Freddie about Patricia losing some steam as she blew inland.  We've had some stiff wind here in the stormy weather but I cannot imagine wind over 100 MPH or worse.  God bless Davey, he just has to take the hard road (wink).

Luvsbulldogs, I had a couple of errands to run this morning that required me to drive around more than usual.  I made it a point to really, really look at the fall colors in the trees.  I will pray that your cataract surgery goes smoothly as is over before you know it.  

birdmama........  Glad that you are enjoying the foliage.  It seems it only lasts such a short time and then we have a long winter so we try to enjoy it as much as we can.  Thank you for your prayer. 

Honored Contributor

Hello all - I apparently did something incredibly stupid with my 4 year old lawnmower as we neared the end of the mowing season.  I haven't been cutting grass weekly since the grass slowed down in August.  Last time I mowed was a month ago in September.  Usually I check the oil before I mow and guess I wasn't as vigilant since August.  I fired up the mower yesterday with the intention of mulching some leaves in the front yard.  I made it to the front sidewalk heard an awful noise and that's all she wrote.  My engine seized up and died. 

I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon researching lawnmowers and finally settled on a new Honda.  Lucky for me my local Home Depot still had one in stock so I was able to drive over around 6:30 and pick it up.

Expensive lesson I won't soon forget :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Hard to believe a four year old mower would just plumb die. I have run out of oil numerous times, put some more in it and off it goes. That reminds me however to check my oil shortly to make sure there is enough in there. Interesting to me is that the mower NEVER checks it for oil - he does gas, but not oil. My mower is a good 6 years old - ahhh for the days when mowers lasted almost forever and they gave you a warning before just quitting. Glad you got the mower you wanted.

My goodness but did you all see where REI will close the day after Thanksgiving? Sure wish more stores would do it, who knows, perhaps more will. Would be heavenly to get away from some of the "mandated" shopping days. Drives me insane but that is me, a lot of my friends live for those shopping days. NOT ME.  Now to tell the truth I had never heard of that store but read up on it and I guess it does very well.

The usual Davey run to high school and then stop by the gym in an hour or so. Yesterday I was busy with Tessa in the morning so did not get to the gym. Did not like going in the afternoon - I was tired but I did stop for about 20 minutes - that was enough for me. Usually only stay about 30 minutes any way. I still really miss having my exercise place in the next block - do not like having to drive so far now but it is a must.

Don't have a thing to leave to munch on - I need to get my act together so I always have something to leave. Forgot, I do have some garlic Ritz crackers and hot coffee is always good as a go with. Whew!!!

Have a great day everyone.

Trusted Contributor

well you do know that some mowers use a mixture of gas and oil.   Like the old lawn boys.  Most nowadays use separate gas and oil. Same thing with snow blowers.  We,of course use Toro products 

Honored Contributor

@Winifred

My dad had lawnmowers that lasted half a lifetime and the man barely maintained any of them :-).  Mine, I took in for the works at the end of each season.  Honestly, I bought the stupid Snapper in 2011.  I didn't really like it when I looked at it, but DH's died and he had a Snapper and I guess I was emotional when his died so I bought a Snapper.  I don't know if this makes sense.  In Sunday night, as I was dragging the mower in the box out of my hatchback, I said out loud - I don't want to hear it Butch - I know I broke it - but that's the end of me and Snapper products lol.

I remember when stores and restaurants would be closed on Thanksgiving Day - I was probably in my late 20s so that would make it 25 or so years ago.  I like Thanksgiving and prefer to spend my long holiday weekend being thankful in the comfort of my own home - not fighting crowds in stores.

Betty, I looked at Toro's and couldn't make up my mind.  I have a huge Ariens snowblower.  Again, DH bought something that looks like it could be commercial.  Three speeds forward, two speeds back and a headlight, he he he.

Trusted Contributor

Bernie, before he sold Toro to dealers, he sold Snapper. Lol. Stayed with red. Sounds like you habe a big snow blower. He comes from a farming background and sold Massey ferguson, Case, and Cockshut. (from Co-op). Snapper bought Massey fergusons lawn mower line so that was how he started with them. When he first started out in lawn mower line he interviewed with Bolens who gave him an ink blot test. Not his cup of tea. They told him he wasn't suited for that career. I have to crow a bit because he is the only rep in the Toro organization that has been awarded every award they offer starting with Rookie to outstanding salesman in U S. The disadvantage to that is he eats, sleeps and lives Toro. Lol. I would never take the chance of asking him to choose between us. Just kidding.
Respected Contributor

Betty, why is it every time I see a John Deere anything I think of Merle? LOL

Respected Contributor

Almost afternoon, dreary & rainy here, nothing hard, just steady, but temps are going down, hope it doesn't rain Saturday for the kids that do go out & the tailgate ones that are so popular these days round here.

My monthly cleaning lady comes today, a little later than usual so supper is a ? depending on what time she leaves, she is very thorough, just started this a few months ago & am happy with it, when I worked I had someone every 2 weeks, but truth be told was not as good as this one, I keep up with things that need to be done, baths/kitchen, but otherwise let the dust settle, & if possible arrange company around cleaning date  lol

Friday is Halloween Parade at O'Hare so that will be a fun time, we go thru all the Terminals with the hired group, banjo player, stilt walkers, clowns, etc, passengers have a good time

I know nothing about mowers, DD cuts my grass & uses an electric one, says she doesn't like the gas ones, it's one chore I never did, it was DH's job, I should say his only one, hah I did all the painting, wallpapering, tiling, etc, spoiled him rotten, but I must say I liked doing all that, not so much now, it's like just overwhelming to even think about it so I live with it the way it is.

OK off my soapbox, have a spooky Halloween Back Fencers, apple cider waiting

Honored Contributor

@spix

The rain rolled in here last night.  From what I heard on the radio, it will be rainy today, windy tomorrow and rain on Halloween. 

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama, afraid that's the same for here, it seems like it always rains on Halloween? Waiting for cleaning lady & Sadie is crying up in my bedroom.