Honored Contributor

Re: November 2021 Bird's Nest

Very much so @mousiegirl   

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I have Juncos.    I am so happy and excited to see them back here.  I put mixed birdseeds and black oil sunflower seed on the driveway as usual but a bit more as it's very cold, raw wind, and some snain at times.  It's been over an hour or two since  I put the seed out and I just checked to see who was eating and there were quite a few Cardinals, Turtledoves, Sparrows and then I saw the Juncos,  several of them already!!!  Yay!!!  

Will put food out around dark so the Cardinals can get their last bite before bedtime and therell be food for early risers in the morning.  The possums eat some of the food mix which includes peanuts, fruit, suet balls, plus proso millet, safflower, black oil, and other seeds and nuts and that's ok.   They don't get it all and the birds have great eyesight for finding the seeds.  

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

Bernie,  It's a sad but good article about the birds mass die-off and the results of the necropsy's.   I am surprised that they found starvation as part of the causes for so many birds dying.    I wonder if that is just regional as there's so much natural foods available in most of the country, not the big city areas so much, but still with so many people who do feed wild birds.  I do know that some people stop feeding for part of the year, but I have never stopped feeding and my bank account shows that.   The owners at Wild Birds Unlimited, where I get most of my birdseeds, said that the scarcity of birds at the feeders was due to the abundance of natural foods this time of year.   I do have lots of sparrows for sure,  but it's the other species that I hope make their return to the feeders.   DId see a Red Bellied Woodpecker and Downy today and yesterday.   

The Arch, which is lit by floodlights at night most of the year,  has it's lights turned off during the major migrations periods to prevent the birds from being affected by light pollution and causing them to fly into things like it and buildings.  

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl 

Is this a white peacock? I've never seen one like this before.

@mousiegirl wrote:

Respected Contributor

@geezerette @possummink @Bird mama @mousiegirl 

My DH and I were discussing this again today. We have not seen any robins, wood peckers, blue jays or cardinals for several weeks. 

After I cleaned my china hutch and washed all the dishes today. Mr.L and I went down to the local park by the Mississippi  River. The only birds we seen were a few sparrows and one mourning dove. Now this is weird. Usually there are at least a few mallards around, but not a one. I hope some birds come back. We've got a lot of bird seed to give them.

Respected Contributor

@possummink 

Isn't this guy gorgeous!?? I haven't seen a cardinal for so long. Also haven't seen any Orioles or Finches. Very strange.

@possummink wrote:

May be an image of bird and nature

Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

@mousiegirl 

Is this a white peacock? I've never seen one like this before.

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Leeny   Yes, really something, isn't he. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

May be an image of dog and text

Honored Contributor

May be an image of flower and text

Honored Contributor

May be an illustration of 1 person and text that says '13 Novembre page Ephémeride Seasonal Calendar Nina de San'