Honored Contributor

Re: November 2017 Bird's Nest - Always Thankful

mistymorrning: “ Source:imgfave-hero ”

Honored Contributor

Northern Cardinal - S. Weller Ln - Near Bisbee, Cochese County, AZ [#3833]

On Thursday evening,  I filled the feeders and put some black oil/safflower seed mix plus some mixed seeds out on the driveway where I feed the birds and then closed the barrels and headed inside.  By the time I got the backporch door closed,  no kidding,  there were over 25 Cardinals on the ground getting some food to hold them through the night.   It's amazing to see how many Cardinals we do have here and I know it's an unusually large number.   There's a lot of cover for them here, as we have yews bushes that are huge, plus a lot of under brush around the borders of the property, for privacy.  Also we have fruit bearing shrubs and trees, like hollies, Winterberry,  Serviceberry etc.   

I just stood on the porch and watched them.   They aren't easy to count but I know there were at least 25 or more.   I couldn't see the feeders in the Kitchen garden from that vantage point,  But right by one feeder and hanging over it is a yew that's more of a tree than a shrub or bush.   There are always Cardinals up in those feeders, but they seem to prefer the ground area which is near one big Holly.     Wish I could get them all in a photo. 

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

The Ashtabula River in Ashtabula, OH

Honored Contributor

Fall foliage & covered bridges

Honored Contributor

Peaceful

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama

A while back I was watching Diners, Dives and Drive thru's and he was on and they showed him at a beer brewery that I think he owns part of but I am not certain and then they went to a great looking restaurant or diner and the food looked so good!  Thanks for letting me know.  Oh, btw the town that they were in looked really nice!

Edited to say that I was talking about Kid Rock...lol!!!

Respected Contributor

@possummink wrote:

mistymorrning: “ Source:imgfave-hero ”

@possummink

Wow....what a great pic!!!   Thanks for posting it!

Respected Contributor

@possummink

You are very fortunate to have all those beautiful cardinals feeding at your house.  I too find that they seem to prefer ground feeding but will also go to the feeders.  In the colder months here they too hide and take shelter in the yews and pine shrubs. They do like the berries off the crab apple tree and the hollys.   I hope we get to see them before we move.  They do not come around here until mid Decemeber.  I have no idea why.

Enjoy your cardinals possum!!! 

Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama,

This little one got lost in CT🌻