Respected Contributor

Re: November 2017 Bird's Nest - Always Thankful

Love, love those pic of Conrad. As I continue to say, if one has not had a Scottie in their life, they missed happiness beyond belief. I just love seeing them. Will bring out my Christmas ornament of Conrad soon - YAPS does that kind of thing each Christmas. YAPS is Yucaipa Animal Protection Society - they are such a great organization. I knew the owner, Betty Martines, she was a marvelous human being. Her husband was Jim, the local Constable - we no longer have Constables - he too was a super human being. He left us way too soon and Betty survived and continued to save animals - and then she too left us. The good she did remains here in our area. YAPS goes to shelters and picks up critters who would have a difficult time surviving in shelters - they are awesome. They also take them in locally.

Am getting tired but will say this I FINALLY FILLED ALL THE FEEDERS.  YIPPEE!!

Hope all had a great day and hope tomorrow will be even better if possible. Possum? you OK ??

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@possummink  Was the doctor trying to mark the polyp for future reference?  Good grief - I would be bugging about a staple left in me. 

Bernie,  Yes,  if the polyp had been questionable or worse,  the staple was a marker for the surgeon to use.  Thank goodness it wasn't needed, but it's still there and I think will be from now on.    The polyp was removed totally, so that's why the staple is there. 

Honored Contributor

Owner: Polder Scotties

Winifred,   Good for you getting those feeders filled.  I had to do that twice today.   It got down to 24 degrees last night and today our high was 39 degrees  so the birds have been chowing down big time. 

I'm doing ok, just getting older and my knee/calf is making me walk a lot slower and with a kind of limp.  I take 3 Advil in the evenings to help ease it a bit.  

I'd love to have a Scottie,  but never had the chance.   Had a lot of other breeds and my favorites were the Dobermans, then the Schnauzers and Labrador Retrievers.  The Labs shed a lot.  We had Cocker Spaniels, Pekingese, Beagles, etc.  and many many mixed breeds, which were fine pups too.  Even had a blind collie that no one wanted so my mom and dad took her and she was a beautiful gentle dog.  A good pet and companion.  

A lot of the photos I find of Scotties are around water.   Did Conrad love water?

Get some good rest and take care of yourself. Heart

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

It was very cold here the past couple of days.  The high was 28 yesterday.

Suffice it to say, I will be bundling up and taking the rake outside with me.  The trees practically dropped every leaf in a 24 hour period. 

Are my shoulders going to tolerate me getting every single leaf up - probably not.

If I can get most of them, so it looks like I made an effort, I'll go at it again next weekend.  I usually rake through Thanksgiving anyway.

I've not seen Gerry the groundhog in a week so I don't know if he/she is resting or sleeping.

The birds and squirrels are indeed very hungry.  I'm on hawk watch.

I had a pretty good summer in the back yard - wildlife wise.

I did have one young Robin death at the beginning of summer.  I found that one alongside my fence - so signs of attack - not sure what happened.

I think there was one pigeon that got it in the summer - found the feathers - saw no body.

Last weekend I noticed a pile of feathers in the backyard and thought oh-no. There was a body - won't get more gory than that. 

They all have to eat.  I really wish when that happens, the hawk would truly do a take-out and leave my yard.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama

Cold here too.  Last night it was 19 and I had to go in the basement and dig out the down blanket!!!  I like the cold weather but it came on all of a sudden and was a drastic drop in temperature.   Had to dig out the winter coat too!  We had some flurries yesterday morning.  We once again had high winds but not as bad as 2 weeks ago.  Hence all the leaves are just about on the ground.  

Take it easy with the raking and take care of those shoulders!!! 

I hope that you see Gerry.  Maybe he is sleeping because of the cold weather that you have. 

I am worried because it is hunting season and the Piebald deer has not been around in over a week.  I love Autumn but dread hunting season.  It just breaks my heart.  I keep telling myself that he moved on as the males often do.

Darn those hawks.  DH found feathers a few weeks ago and as I mentioned before the red tailed hawk is hanging close by the house in a large tree.  As you said they have to eat but I just wish I did not have to see it.

Thank goodness we are just about finished cleaning out and packing in the basement because the storage side is very cold today. 

Have a question for you.   I think you mentioned that you live in Michigan.  DH, DD and I are huge fans of "Kid Rock".  Doesn't he live in Michigan?

Have a great rest of the weekend!!!

Respected Contributor

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned before it sure is cold here!!!  Had flurries both yesterday morning and this morning but not enough to stick to the ground thank goodness. 

Haven't seen a lot of wild life here lately but I think a lot of it is because the woods are full of hunters.  The piebald has been missing since last week. Smiley Sad

Spoiler

Sorry I hit the spoiler button and do not know how to get rid of it.

So far we have made several truck loads to Goodwill and several to the town dump.  That was just from the basement but we are just about finished in the basement.  There are not a lot of things to donate in the rest of the house.  I pretty much try to keep on top of it.  There will be more though that we want to keep but it will be stored in the basement.  Just not enough room in the new place.

I hope that everyone is having a great weekend!!!   

Honored Contributor

@luvsbulldogs  Yep Kid Rock is from Michigan. I think he splits his time between a house in CA and one in MI.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Black and Wheaten Scottish Terrier

Honored Contributor