Trusted Contributor

Re: Not to be morbid, but funeral plans

My Dad had everything planned and paid for. What a blessing that was!! Just get the folder he showed us (where it was), and execute everything.

He even had his obit. written, and what headstone company to call to come update the marker where my mother was(is).

With many kids in the family, most of who do not get along, my Dad was no fool. He cut in-fighting off at the pass Smiley Happy

I want to be cremated, no fanfare, no memorial, no obituary, nada.

One son knows this, but I am going to put it in writing so none of my other kids can wrangle something else.

It is good to pre-plan. We are all getting off this planet in the same way, may as well have your ending on your own terms!

Frequent Contributor

Since wakes and funerals are really for the living, grieving ones, I think it's important that their wishes be considered too.  My Dad probably wouldn't have minded being cremated, but I couldn't do it.  Bodies are how we connect souls in this lifetime, how we express various types and levels of love and affection.  I couldn't bear the thought of that being burned up.  I loved his big brown eyes, the same as mine, his crazy, somewhat pointed elf ears, his long fingers and beautiful hands.  I don't think I could have dealt with that being burned.  

Maybe this is somewhat generational, although I suspect some of you responding are older than I am.  I'm 52.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree it's an excellent idea!

My plan is NO funeral - no burial.  If I had my druthers, I would say to use what they can to help somebody else and throw the rest in the trash.

But I know there are rules so it will probably just have to be to incinerate it and put in a bag in a box, like my husband has his grandparents.   

My father has purchased burial plots TWICE (once in CA and he sold those when he moved across the country and bought new ones there).  I just don't get that, but it is what he wants, so nothing wrong with it.  

I feel like maybe cemetaries would (should?) become obsolete.   It just must be getting so big and, for me anyway, I just don't see the point.  I'm not saying that everybody should so what I want, btw!   For me - use what you can and find the cheapest way to dispose with the rest.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Both of my parents planned for their death and left us verbal and written instructions for cremation and other instructions related to their memorial service.  My father went so far as to say to use the basic cheap cardboard box for his cremation.  I guess some people buy a casket and have it cremated, but my Dad wanted to go the cheap route. We followed through on their wishes.

I have written instructions for my executor and will also be cremated.  My family is scattered all over the country and none of us live where we all grew up.  My grandparents are buried there, but there are no relatives in that area to visit or tend to the grave.  I've only been there twice in the past 20 years. Personally I see no reason for burial or for all of the extra expense associated with that.

Respected Contributor

Funerals are morbid - whoever came up with the idea of putting people on view - I have just never understood it.    I still remember my father when I was 9 years old in a casket and it still haunts me.  I will be cremated - definitely - I don't want anyone to see me that way.  No funeral for me, no showing - just cremate me and go on with your lives. 

Respected Contributor

My hubby and I purchased plots in a nearby cemetery many years ago. He went to be with the Lord on October 17, 2010 at the age of 84. He is buriied there. We had a private family only burial, then a memorial service at our church. It was an opportunity for the family to be together to grieve and to speak of his faith in Jesus Christ. Everything is paid for except my casket and flowers. I can do that anytime actually and should. I will be buried with him, the headstone is already there with my name and birthdate and a space for the date when I go Home. I never visit there because I know my hubby isn't there, he is with the Lord. But, one of our kids goes often and takes flowers. She needs to.

It's a very personal decision, and I know lots of people including family members who are choosing cremation.

I want my service to lift up the Savior so all who don't know Him have the chance to hear how they can. It's not about me. And it will help my children and grandchildren to be together and that's what matters. I'm 82.

snappy Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Years ago, when Gene Roddenbury (creator of Star Trek) died, his family got permission to have his ashes scattered up in space, among the stars.   I think it was one of the space shuttles that did the honors.    

If I have my druthers, I'd also like to be scattered with all the stars ... and the wonder of the infinite universe.

Honored Contributor

When my son died in 1998, we kept his ashes at home, in a special container we got from the funeral home, it gave us some peace knowing his ashes were with us, then years later we bought 3 plots,had a very special headstone made for him, i wrote out a special message to put on it, it had pictures engraved on it ,with everything we saw in our drive out of town, the morning his amputation was to take place, then my husband and i said ,whom ever goes first, he,or myself, we bury the ashes at the graveyard,that is actually what i did,when my husband died in2013.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I do not want a funeral or service of any kind.  I want to be cremated.  My beloved pets are cremated, and my husband will be also.  We want all of our ashes sprinkled somewhere together.

Super Contributor

I'm like many of you here.

1. I prepared my Last Will

2. Prepared a document stating exactly how I want my funeral

Had a gathering of my sons; gave each of them a copy of Will + funeral wishes and discussed each document in detail.

Kept copy of all for myself and told them where my copy is in my home.

I also want to be cremated but have no pre-paid for funeral.  There will be money in my accounts for my sons to pay for everything (both boys have P of A over  my bank accounts + medical P of A).

I learned from my parents who did exactly this and, believe me, it was SO helpful to organize everything and not have to struggle and think about how to do things when they died.  That was a VERY emotional time anyway so I can't imagine having to make those kinds of decisions when no written instructions were left.