Respected Contributor

@OhioAngel I really wanted to scream,lol.... 

Trusted Contributor

@jeanlakewrote:

You've been given terrific tips. Dale Carnegie said people have a face that says YES or a face that says NO. My husband shared with me 30 years ago that my face says "I'm bored with you." How awful, and yes, I was not happy with his honesty. Since that time I've simply tried to have a more relaxed, pleasant, 'open' look on my face. So, this is a great place to start. AND, always ask others about themselves or what they're interested in. You'll be brilliant in their eyes.  

@jeanlake Here's one for ya, my face says I'm bored w/ my husband every day & I don't care b/c it's the truth, LOL! Thought I'd try & lighten it up for you. I am sorry you had to be told that tho, what a bummer. My husband told me the other day that when it's gloomy weather outside so is my face! My reply, gee thx for the compliment, at least you're speaking to me today, ha ha ha, true story.Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

Re: Not good at small talk

[ Edited ]

@Soonerwrote:

@OhioAngel  YES YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN FAKE OUTGOING!  I've done it a million times!  Sit down and think some good safe topics to talk about with those people.  Usually people LOVE to talk about themselves, so make up some questions that willfeature THEM!  Then sit back, smile and nod!

1.  Have you been to the new (restaurant, grocery store, reopened bridge, etc.)

2.  Do you eat a lot of (chocolate Easter eggs, Peeps when you were growing up).

3.  Aren't you glad it's (stopped raining, rained, stopped snowing)?

4.  Do you have pets?

5.  How long have you known (the host, someone you were just talking to, etc.)

6.  Wow this is a big (piece of pie, drink, bowl of dip, etc).

Anything like these questions you can turn around and say "Oh at this time of the year I always look for those Cadbury eggs" or "This food looks wonderful doesn't it?"  "I had to find my unbrella today to get here."

"I work with (someone at the party).  Do you know them?"  "This is a nice party isn't it?"  "Do you know (someone)?"  "Did you grow up in (city)?"

Just don't talk politics, money or religion!  You'll be fine!  Go, relax and have a good time.  Just show some interest in people, look them in the eye, smile and know that many feel the same way you do! 

@Sooner I'd love to take your class too. I see my buddy Homegirl previously signed up.Woman Happy You are really good at this, do you by chance, teach? If so, will you pls put us both down for your next seminar? And, if you don't maybe you should look into this as perhaps a part-time gig, I mean this as a very sincere compliment, honestHeart

Honored Contributor

@ROMARYwrote:

I'm not a 'small talker', that's for sure.

Thanks for the tips!

'Trouble is' that when someone asks me what I've been up to lately, I usually say 'Nothing'.  (lol).  That seems to 'throw off' talkative people. (lol, again)

One of my relatives (years ago) suggested that I just 'make up stuff'.  Little white lies as to where I've been, what I've 'been up to', etc. 

I tried doing it for a short time, but I don't suggest it.  Even though I sure felt great re: being at my faux places, lol.  It did prompt me to actually do some of those things, as I recall.

How about something like "WELL, I've been trying to clean out my (closet, garage, attic)!  I can't believe how much stuff I have accumulated!  Isn't that terrible?  No cruises or vacations--just cleaning out the attic!"  And then laugh.  Or say you have a stack of books you want to read and have a title or two in mind or say what genre you like.  

I think that's good because most people (men, women and children) I know are trying to organize and get rid of excess baggage and could identify with that.  Search these boards and keep in mind the things that seem to be either fun or a problem for most of us!  Trying to improve our diets is a big topic.  Common things like that. 

Respected Contributor

I don't like to talk about myself in a social setting so I get the other persons talking about themselves and their familiy.  They  love talking about their children and I truly am interested.

Honored Contributor

I found when I'm in an awkward situation and the conversation isn't flowing, I just start asking questions to the person (people) I'm talking to. It works every time because people love to talk (brag) about themselves and their lives! Problem solved. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Yes, as others here have mentioned, asking people questions almost always works! 

I might not be overly interested (excited) about what I've been doing, but listening to what others have been doing is always interesting, more or less.  (Excluding the people who are similar to 'Cliff' on 'Cheers'. Which I (not too often) have to be around.  You know, the 'know-it-alls'.  That's when I'm very, very quiet.  'Mumm's' the word.,,, It's a matter of self-preservation. (lol) )

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  I am thinking Princess Kate talks about her present surroundings, he thoughts on the function she is attending.  Paying compliments, ejoying the occassion.  I am sure she has been briefed before each event.  She is such a sweet person, probably not hard for her.