Respected Contributor

Re: Not being productive...just can't seem to get going!

@mspatmac wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

I don't know what's wrong with me. I keep reading about so many, cleaning, purging, cooking, etc. I can't  seem to get anything much done! I wake up with good intentions, get one or two things done but then between the news, social media(which, I wish I'd never discovered)reading the newspaper and watching TV, I'm not getting much done! AM I THE ONLY ONE?🤔 I feel so guilty when I read how much others are doing. I have no motivation! I'm retired and seem to be having the mindset more and more of, "I'll do it tomorrow!"

Help! What gets you going especially now when there's no where you have to go?🤔😷🤣

Thank goodness you posted @Starpolisher because you made me realize IT'S NOT JUST ME!  My day is just like yours and no amount of great suggestions from others or cleaver quotes is going to get me going until I have a real reason to be different, like get ready for family to visit.  And you know what, it's OK!  I have even made lists the night before and that didn't work.  I am not depressed, guess it's my way of coping.  

I do grocery pick up about every other week and do force myself to get dressed and that makes me feel more than a bum.  I applaud self motivators and  those that purged, cleaned, and organized but that works for them.  Murphy (my dog) and I are doing fine being us.  So let's stop comparing ourselves to others and give ourselves permissions to cope as we see fit.  It will all get done on way or another.  Stay safe, that's the important thing.Heart

@mspatmac 

This is me exactly except dh goes out for the groceries!🤣

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@hopi wrote:

After all these years of saying if I just had time...all this could get done.

Guessing time wasn't the problem.

@hopi 

No truer words. Heart

Thank you everyone for your replies! I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one whose getting very little done. I was feeling guilty for not having cleaned out all my closets, rearranging my cupboards, getting rid of old clothes and cooking, baking (never do that anyway..loll!) and well, you know, the list goes on! I keep up with my regular weekly cleaning but that's about it. It's funny, when I was working and had time off, I use to be very motivated to get things done. Working was my excuse for not doing more. When I retired, five years ago, I started saying. "Oh, I can do that tomorrow." Also, well, I have to babysit Thursday and Friday so I'll wait until Saturday to start that. Now, I'm just home 24- 7 and I don't want to do much of any of those things. Plus like @Icegoddess  said, Dh is home and he just comes and messes up behind me. I wish the weather would get nicer so he could  go outside and work in the yard. He's discovered Pinterest  recipes and is always trying out some recipe. He cleans up afterwards but never everything. Right now, there's flour on the kitchen floor where he was practicing making biscuits this morning.(Why does he not see it😳�) At least when I was babysitting my granddaughters I got dressed, put on make up and did my hair. Now most days, I'm lounging in my house clothes, no make and al la natural hair! loll! I look a hot mess! Well, tomorrow Ima do better!🤣�

Stay safe everyone😷�

@GingerPeach thanks for the article.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

I think we've lost personal structure during this time and I need my structure in order to be productive. That's what my list making is about. So you aren't alone. I don't think we should be tough on ourselves. Husband is getting a lot of projects completed but that eases his anxiety. I was motivated enough to drag the row machine out of storage and set it up in the perfect place. Barely been used since I set it up.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher 

I think most everyone has that feeling on certain days. I've been retired going on 29 years now so it has nothing to do with "no where I have to go". Just like when I was at my job, some days I really had the juice, other days, not so much.

What gets me going now? After 14 years of in and out of long hospital stays, and losing and regaining my physical fitness, only to have to start over and over again?

In late 2017 I finally realized "hey, it's been about a year now, and I finally am fit and not been in the hospital"! So I thought, time to get back to my true love, ice skating. Whoa! Not quite like "riding a bike", the old saying.

Got back on the ice only to find I could barely stand up, much less actually skate. After a couple broken bones(rib and nose)/12 weeks of Balance Physical Therapy/bruises from my hips downwards! I could actually skate again.

Now on "those days"? I think of now being physically fit, and wanting to stay that way until the ice rink opens up again.  You asked "what gets you going". There it be!!! 

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

There's not a thing wrong with you! I'm retired too, so I could clean out closets, etc anytime I want to. The truth is that I'll never spend an entire day, days or week on a project like that. I may move a few pieces of clothes in/out at a time, but I don't have the motivation to go overboard! LOL!

Seriously, I try to give myself one or two small projects each day, and they always revolve around a little house cleaning, since I'm not too motivated to do that either. My goal today was simply to dust the furniture in my small living room. Tomorrow I need to clean the half bath. If I feel like doing more, then I will but I don't push myself much! Besides, it's spring and I'd rather spend time outdoors getting my patio ready for summer. BTW - I'm 72 and also take care of hubby, so I don't feel a bit guilty not getting a lot accomplished every day.

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher 

ME!!!!  Not used to spouse being here 24/7 and he watches tv all day -- makes me lazy! 

In the beginning, I was cleaning & organizing closets, pantries, etc. After a few weeks got the attitude "tomorrow is another day"...and I grabbed a good book sat on the lanai and read, worked on my tan & sometimes napped.  No hurry cuz no where to go...

today spouse went back to golfing again so he'll be out 4 days a week💃💃💃💃.  

Today was the first truly productive day I had.  Everything I wanted to do in the house I did with my fav country music blaring in the background.

I have cooked every night well let's say 3 meals/day since the shutdown.  I will continue doing this.

Our state opened today but I have no desire to go to retail stores, restaurants, or anywhere else.  I'm waiting for nail salons I'll be the first one there😉following all the guidelines.  (I think our governor will open them this week the way he talked today)

Just relax ... it's allowed!  Sooner or later you'll be back to your normal routine & you'll be ready to go!😉

Respected Contributor

@RedTopYou are a very kind and caring person.  Hope you give yourself a pat on the back -- it would be well-deserved.

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher 

Me, too!  I go to bed at night with these things in my mind that I am going to do the next day.  Morning comes and I mess around and then DH says this, that and the other thing and before you know it, I'm in another mindset and just don't get anything much done.  If I don't get started before noon, then I don't get started at all.  I have no answer for you, but just thought I'd tell you that you're not the only one!  

I am not trying to compare myself to everyone else because it just makes me feel like more of a failure.  Look at it this way maybe -- is the world going to end if you don't get a room dusted today?  No!  Will the stars fall out of the sky if you don't clean out that hall closet tomorrow?  No!  So, maybe just don't put a bunch of expectations on yourself. If you get up one day and happen to feel more energetic and happen to end up pulling things out of a drawer with a trash bin nearby, then good --- or if you find that you have a swiffer in your hand, then go for it!  Woman Wink

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Funny @homedecor1 when my husband is home I get lazy as well!! Why is that??

While I worked just 3 days a week before this mess hit us he was gone all day most of the day....fast forward...our business is mostly closed but he does go in daily but home by noonish.  I get up shower, dress, do my make up, hair etc. daily but once he gets home most things come to a stop and I am  not sure why.

Today, I managed to keep busy until he got home...now we are both doing nothing but watching tv.  When it's nice out we can get outside, yesterday we took a long walk.

Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher I am like you.. Cannot get myself in gear.  I am also retired.  Try to do a little at a time and I do mean little...yesterday I cleaned half a room then tool the day off.  Little by little.  I do cook, bake and manage to get out of the house rarely to do grocery shopping.  Forgive yourself and don't be hard on yourself.  This will pass