Honored Contributor

Re: No wonder people are exhausted on Mondays

I'm happy for those who love being retired.  It's definitely not something I look forward too.  Obviously, it will come but I think I'll accept it more than enjoy it.  As for time management, I don't know of a single working person in this whole wide world who leaves everything to the weekends.  Good grief, why?   Leisure time on the weekends and vacations is as important to the mind and body as food.   When we had our 10 room, 100 year old colonial; there was always something to do.  That's just how older homes are.  We both worked and one of the benefits of working for a living is that you have money that you can use to hire people to do some of the work.  We had a family, we had friends, we had a life; we wanted to enjoy those things....and rest.   So we paid to have some things done.  We also lived on a schedule.  We never left anything until the very last minute.  We scheduled everything; even when it was time to call the guy to trim the lilac bushes or clean the gutters.  So, even with two teenagers, we lived our lives.  It's easier now that we are in a condo and the girls off living their own lives.  We downsized deliberately because we knew that we're the type to work until we're 70 or 72; we love our careers but we wanted our weekends and holidays totally free.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal. I always marvel at the women who work full time, care for the kids & house (w/ or w/o a hubby's help), get the food shopping and laundry done, carpool to activities after school and find time put something, anything, on the table for dinner. 

I must have have done it years ago w/ 2 children a year apart. I have no memory how. 

My DIL runs a tight ship and manages to accomplish all tasks mentioned above. I certainly admire her organizational skills. 

Honored Contributor

I still work fulltime, and so does my husband. Our two daughters are grown, and we have grandchildren, but our weekends are still busy, usually Saturdays grandkids come over, and we do things with them, and Sundays we go to church, and usually have lunch after church, and by the time we get home late Sunday afternoon, its time to get organized for the work week....Now our weekends are no where near as busy as when our girls were younger and involved in a lot. I agree with whomever said you need to be young for all of that. LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

WHen I was working and raising a family I was very organized.  I knew I only had weekends to accomplish a lot of chores and projects.  BEcause my time was limited I had a schedule and I kept to it because otherwise things would not get done and I would have returned to work on Monday with a dirty, disorganized house.  NOw that my family is grown and I am retired I find it is way to easy to postpone doing chores and projects because I can always "Do it tomorrow".  HOwever one tomorrow becomes another tomorrow and another tomorrow and things are simply not getting done.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was a single working mom from the time my youngest was three to when they each started leaving (four daughters).  Except for their own laundry, I did everything.  I taught them how to do their own laundry from age ten years old on.

I shopped for food and cleaned the whole house every Saturday, morning to evening, then went out to dinner with my SO at night, and had big dinners every Sunday with at least 15 people . . . SO, family and friends.  The girls did clean up afterwards.

Then went to work every Monday through Friday, a very demanding job.

And I loved it . . . miss it . . . almost mourn it.  When you realize it will never come again . . . well, that's very sad.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

Well said!

Personally, I've always thought that working 5 days a week and having 2 days off is an unnatural act!  

I think the work week should be 4 days, with 3 days off.   Don't know how I'd sell it to corporate America, but that's what I believe.