Respected Contributor

Re: No wonder everyone in town is overweight

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Freebies are rare around where I live, actually, non-existent that I know of. 

Sometimes I wonder if all of the emphasis on eating healthy, maintaining healthy weight, clean foods, organic foods, etc are, at least partially responsible for the increase in obesity.

Back in my day, there was an occasional chubby kid, but for the most part, we didn't put so much thought into it like in current times.  Breakfast was cereal and milk or eggs and toast, lunch was usually a simple sandwich, dinner meat or a protein, vegetables,  and a starch or white kind of food like rice or noodles or potato.  Snacks were fruit and sometimes a little something sweet.

Too many food rules can make many people do the opposite because of too much pressure.

Just my opinion.  Heart

I agree with you.    Since I don't know your age I can't say if we grew up in the same era but my mother and most of the mothers in the neighborhood prepared the same type of meals that you mentioned.   I was never overweight nor were any of my friends.  

You didn't mention it, but I also think that we as children got much more exercise than kids do today.   For instance, I walked to school for all of my 12 years.  We had no school buses because our school was in the neighborhood.   The walking alone helped to keep us fit.   Then after school we played outside until it was too dark and our moms' called us in.    We had no organized sports just the neighborhood kids playing in the schoolyard.  Whether you were good at a sport or not it didn't matter.  We all just had fun and no one critiqued each others talents.  

Our parents weren't obsessively involved in our lives and yet most of us turned out quite well.    

No matter how much more kids have today along the lines of technological innovations I wouldn't trade growing up in the 60's for anything in the world.   We were just happy with our little transistor radios.   

Esteemed Contributor

Lucky you! Sometimes my bank brings in cookies and they always offer coffee or water. Hubby always takes a handful of the wrapped hard candy offered at some of his doctors' offices! Your post is nice and I enjoyed it....ignore the comments from the folks who tell you that you don't have to take any of the goodies (they have no sense of humor)!

Esteemed Contributor

One of the banks in my town makes up little bags of popcorn on Fridays.  I really enjoyit!

My "work bank" in another town hands out doggies cookies thru the drive up window!  I like that too, though I don't eat them!Woman LOL

Little things like this is a throw back to nicer, kinder times, imho.  I hope we get back there,,,

Honored Contributor

The dental office giveaways surprise me.  Where I live, only the banks give out treats.  There’s usually a candy bowl, but I don’t go inside very often, so don’t get tempted. 

Of course, Costco always has freebies 

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Just because the food is there doesn't mean anyone has to eat it. The dentist is serving sweets? That's kind-of an oxymoron. Strange.

It’s good for business though

Not for me and not for anyone I know, particularly parents. It's as bad as a weightloss physician offering trays of cookies, cakes and candies to his patients.  It makes no sense.

Honored Contributor

I always pass on anything/everything home made.

Commercially packaged only.

Years and years and years ago, in office settings, we weren't allowed to have food and drinks on our desks. 

Kept all paperwork clean and crisp, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Just because the food is there doesn't mean anyone has to eat it. The dentist is serving sweets? That's kind-of an oxymoron. Strange.

The dentist probably believes people will brush their teeth, eliminating the plaque and preventing decay. It's not like eating sweets gives you a cavity the next day.

Honored Contributor

I never eat or drink anything when I am not home.  my husband  is the complete opposite. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I never eat or drink anything when I am not home.  my husband  is the complete opposite. 

Are we married to the same man?     Like you, I seldom take any food or drink from an outside source.    Put my husband in Costco and I think he could make a meal of the samples.   Unless he really dislikes a food product he tries every sample that the vendors offer.    

Apparently so do others because the line of people waiting to try the samples can cause gridlock in the store.    I just wheel my cart away from them and try to get down the aisle.

Respected Contributor

Sounds like a warm friendly town you live in.