Honored Contributor

Re: No thank you for wedding gift....

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@TaylorBrown wrote:

Personally, I think a month and a half is enough time to get thank yous out after a wedding.  That allows time for the hineymoon, etc.  I know that in this age, people are less apt to send thank you cards.  You are lucky to get a thank you text.  I still consider it rude not to send some type of thank you.  I have a teenager and a pre-teen and they have been taught to send thank you notes.

"Hineymoon"! *lol* Woman LOL

@Anonymous032819   I could say something but I won't.   LOLOLOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

So far I have only experienced the "No Thank You" on one occasion.  It was a co-worker who I saw daily.  I checked with some of the other invited co-workers and none of them received a written or verbal thank you either.

My DH has a very large extended family and I am happy to say that I/we have received a written thank you for every function we have been invited to over the years.  I am pending one now for a baby shower.  I sent the gift early as I knew I could not attend, but the shower wasn't until 11/2.

I've always received thank-you notes for wedding gifts - and most other occasions too.  The most recent one took 8 months or so, and I thought that couple might ruin my perfect record!   The bride is very sweet, but has some emotional issues and is a bit of a scatterbrain, so I was pretty sure a note would never come, and I was okay with that.  But it did arrive.  :-)

I was raised to write notes, and I raised my kids the same way. I didn't allow them to play with a new toy until the thank-you note was written.  Nowadays, I don't much care if it's an actual handwritten note, but I do think gifts should be acknowledged in one way or another.  Especially when a gift is sent, so the giver knows it was received. 

In my experience, thank-you notes are alive and well.  I've also been to several "no gifts please" weddings, so (for that and other reasons) my perception of the youth of today is quite different than many posters here.

Respected Contributor

My husband's neice took 6 months for the thank you card. They say you have up to a year to send your thank yous for a wedding. We send a check and when it's cashed we know they got the gift. 

Valued Contributor

I  would not call it ignorance.

I would call it indifference and not posessing any gratitude whatsoever.

Perhaps the husband feels everyone owes him, and in that case I would also classify this as blatant stupidity.

Esteemed Contributor

@TaylorBrown wrote:

Personally, I think a month and a half is enough time to get thank yous out after a wedding.  That allows time for the hineymoon, etc.  I know that in this age, people are less apt to send thank you cards.  You are lucky to get a thank you text.  I still consider it rude not to send some type of thank you.  I have a teenager and a pre-teen and they have been taught to send thank you notes.

I think it depends on the size of the wedding, among other factors.  If there are a lot of notes to write, 6 weeks easily might not be enough time.  Especially if they go on an extended honeymoon and then back to work right away.  Or if they're moving into a new home, dealing with other issues, etc. 

I wouldn't blame a couple for not getting notes out in the first few months.

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Soooo Seaswirl: Have you made the call or are you going to 1.Leave us hanging or 2.Just like to whine?

I don't think she's whining.  She shared a situation, and asked for thoughts about it.  

That's not much different than what many posters do on these forums every day.  

Respected Contributor

I was at a wedding and ready to leave the bride & groom had a huge sign take one with a basket of rolled up paper & a ribbon. I took it and it was a printed out thank you. That was different. 

Honored Contributor

I stopped giving gifts to people who did not send a thank you or call to say thank you especially when it is a long distance gift (and this is family).  I was brought up to show gratitude for things people give me.  Today, some people think they are entitled when they receive a gift or that is the message they are giving out.  This goes for birthday gifts, Christmas gifts, etc.  Eventually, they get the message.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have seen this more and more.  Some brides are clueless.    I have even heard of some brides putting out a general thank you on facebook. Geesh. Most newly married get behind With after math of a hear of stressful prep for wedding , then honeymoon and then going back to work. But most get their thank you s out within a few months. I always told my daughters, get them out right away.  Promise yourself to do so many a week.  If you wait too long you forget, or try to do them all in one day.  If you add up all responses, divide them by 4...you can get them all out in a month and write each a nice note.  I always stress, they deserve your time, they took time and money to think of you.

Honored Contributor

Dont let this trivial thing bother you.  Its been since May and its still bugging you?  Forget it and find other things to worry about.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)