Respected Contributor

Re: No thank you for wedding gift....

Unfortunatly, I think that is the way with some people, and not just the young ones.  I attended a baby shower of a neice about a year ago. While I could not attend, I brought the gift to her mom about a week before the shower so I know the gift was recieved. No thank you note,text, email or call. I attended the wedding of an older, former co worker this past summer. No thank you for the gift either.  Perhaps they don't think it is necessary because they say Thank You at the shower/wedding? Don't know.

Trusted Contributor

Personally, I think a month and a half is enough time to get thank yous out after a wedding.  That allows time for the hineymoon, etc.  I know that in this age, people are less apt to send thank you cards.  You are lucky to get a thank you text.  I still consider it rude not to send some type of thank you.  I have a teenager and a pre-teen and they have been taught to send thank you notes.

Esteemed Contributor

@TaylorBrown wrote:

Personally, I think a month and a half is enough time to get thank yous out after a wedding.  That allows time for the hineymoon, etc.  I know that in this age, people are less apt to send thank you cards.  You are lucky to get a thank you text.  I still consider it rude not to send some type of thank you.  I have a teenager and a pre-teen and they have been taught to send thank you notes.

"Hineymoon"! *lol* Woman LOL

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@vermint 

BINGO!!!  That is exactly how I feel.   I don't need a handwritten note if I handed a gift to someone and they thanked me then and there.

But I do want a thank you note, text, phone call, FB post , something that tells me they got it and thank you .

Honored Contributor

I'm less concerned even about them actually saying "Thank You" than I am with letting me know they got my check.

One of my four-figure gift checks was never received by the intended recipients.  I waited and waited for a thank-you, and finally months later I contacted their mother since I hadn't heard from them, nor had my check been cashed.  And come to find out, my check had never gotten to them.  So I have a large check floating around somewhere and I never knew that.  I had to go to the bank and stop the check.

I reissued a check and this time sent it to their mother and specifically asked her to let me know when she got the check, which she did.  So I know her son got my gift.  Still never got a thank-you from him or his new wife.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

This is a little bit different but somewhat similar....I host a family Christmas dinner almost every year.  From the time my nephews were young they and my kids would all get together for the holiday. 

Now they are all grown up and two of them are married....they are all in their early to mid 30s.  They still come to my house.  Once upon a time they didn't have to bring anything because they were children and their mom (my sister in law) would bring gifts, a dessert & bottle of wine.  Since they never used to bring anything they are still in the frame of mind that their mom is bringing things and they don't need to.

I can't help but wonder how could anyone come to someone's home for a nice dinner...and on Christmas no less empty handed?  ...and they all have good paying jobs with advanced degrees...you'd think they would know better.

@haddon9 Ask them to bring a certain thing or ask what they would like to bring.  You don't have to put up with this.  And you shouldn't.  Just ask them.  If they don't choose to come, that's their loss.

This is an easy fix.  Just do it!  LOL!!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's hit or miss with us as far as getting thank yous.  Actually, out of the last 4 large gifts we've given for these events, only once did we get a thank you.

The checks were cashed, so there's no wondering if they rec'd them. 

I'm not on fb, but you know my address to mail an invite to me.

I could never be like that.  I don't expect a written thank you for every gift I buy.  We actually don't do that within my family.  We see each other, we give, we hug, we thank, we're not expecting embossed stationary to arrive within 30 days.

But big gifts for graduations and weddings of friends and extended family, yes, I do expect a quick note of thanks.  Never rec'd a wedding/grad gift TEXT of thanks, but I'd ignore it, if I did.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Call and ask if it was received.

@Group 5 minus 1   ^This.

If not, then you have some work to do tracking down the gift.

If it was received, how you accept the lack of a thank you is up to you.  Guarantee you are not the only one who did not receive a "thank-you".

Personally, having had an experience like this, I asked and then let it go.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@geezerette   When a four-figure check does not get an acknowledgement, then this world has it's priorities all wrong.

The fact that you reissued it says a lot about you ....my MIL did not "re-do" her large check as she felt the carelessness of the couple warranted not doing so (she dropped it off at the reception hall).

Honored Contributor

My husband has some of the most self-centered, entitled, nieces and nephews I’ve ever seen, and they range from 50-19.  I could count the verbal thank you’s on one hand, but in the 45 years I’ve been in the family, we have only received one written thank you, which was for a wedding gift.  

Since they have shown they don't follow the rules of common courtesy, my husband and I no longer play the game, period.