Honored Contributor

Re: No thank you for wedding gift....

Call and ask if it was received.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

I think, like it or not, thank you notes are just no longer done. (That said, I'd call the cousin or the bride or the groom to see if they ever got the gift, just to be sure.)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Yes,I know how you feel. if you Google this ?, you will see the one year grace period to send 'thank yous".  So many people don't acknowledge any kindness that is sent their way. Give it some time, but, sadly, it happens.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@seaswirl: Are you sure they received the gift? I would have already contacted the daughter. It's not too late to reach out. Then, you'll know for sure. 

Honored Contributor

@seaswirl 

Personally, I wouldn't let them get away with it.   I don't think we should reward or ignore bad behavior and bad manners.

I would inquire whether they ever received the gift.  Maybe they didn't  .... wouldn't you also want to know if Macys screwed up?   I would make a "very concerned" phone call to either the bride or one of her parents and find out why there was no acknowledgement.  If they are embarrassed, well, good.

Honored Contributor

This seems to be the new normal.  In July 2017, I was invited to my nephew's wedding.  I wish you could see how the wedding invite was addressed.    They used thick magic marker and it was apparent that two different people did it.  A first grader could have done it better.  And, the name of the town was incorrect.  The bride's town was shown instead of mine...the zip was okay and it got here.

I am still waiting for the thank you.  The cash gift was extremely generous.  My Nephew is an M.D. and his wife has a masters degree, so they are educated.  

The next time I am invited to something for them, my gift will be a book on manners and how to address envelopes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, she might be a big time doctor but she's tacky and rude.  You have no relationship with her, you are family in name only so I would not bother calling to ask if she received the present.  However, I'm assuming that Macy's sent you some type of notice when the gift went out.  

Respected Contributor

Make sure they received your gift and that it had a card or note telling the couple that it was from YOU.

We went to a wedding and about 2 months after, the bride, who is a very straight forward person gently asked my husband if we had sent a gift ...  KNOWING that we are generous people, and thinking it very unusual that they received nothing from us. 

My husband immediately said YES ...  we sent it from your Kohl's registry, and he told her what we sent.  She was STUNNED.

They had received what we sent without any indication by Kohl's that it was from us, although I filled out a very nice NOTE, when I was on their registry and signed it from the 2 of us.  She said we got this fabulous gift with no mention of who sent it, and it was several of the things on the registry that her husband really wanted.  He was thrilled but she was perplexed.  Kohl's, for whatever insane reason, was not able to share who it was from with her.

SO ...   make sure they received your kind and generous gift, and if they did,  that they know it's from you! 

Respected Contributor

Before you judge make sure they received the gift AND that there was a card inside. Department stores often do not include the card and the person receiving the gift has no idea who sent it. 

Respected Contributor

This is becoming a common occurrence~!    I sent a gift which was on their registry, and NO THANK YOU received .... saw the couple 6 months later and an hour into the conversation had to ask them "did you receive my wedding gift."    

To me, no one should feel this entitled.