Super Contributor

No thank you for wedding gift....

In May 2019, Memorial Day weekend, DH’s cousin’s daughter (big time doctor) got married about 4 hours away from where we live.  DH and his cousin rarely see each other and basically only communicate via Christmas cards.  I was surprised to even receive the invite.  We weren’t able to attend his daughter’s wedding, but we sent a nice gift shipped directly from Macy’s from her registry.  To this day, we have not received a thank you or any acknowledgement of the gift.  Your thoughts?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: No thank you for wedding gift....

Well, I'm sure some people will tell you that there is a one year grace period and that you still might receive a thank-you, but I think it's a disgrace that you haven't been thanked yet.  Enough months have passed that she or her husband could have jotted a quick note and dropped it in the mail.  There is no excuse for that kind of ignorance.  

Trusted Contributor

Yikes...did they ever receive it?  I saw Macy's and I'm going on my experience with Macy's shipping which is horrid.  I hope they received your gift.  

Super Contributor

I know just how you feel--unappreciated!  The same thing happened to me.  My nephew had a birthday party.  We attended and gave a large monetary amount.  This party was June 22, 2019.  No thank verbally or written note.  I think it's a sign of the times-young people are self-centered and don't realize a "thank you" for a gift should always be given for a gift received.

Honored Contributor

The little ones in my family do send thank you's  -  maybe still under Mom's supervision?

The last family wedding I went to?  No thank you for a shower gift or the wedding check.  So often I dislike acting rude in return to someone else's rudeness, but I did not respond to the birth announcement of their first child.  Perhaps they got the message -  I never received any announcement of the second child.

3 family weddings comming up in 2020 -  wonder what will be...

Honored Contributor

I bet if you had sent them a Starbucks gift card you would've heard from them.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

This is a trend in my experience, the young people do everything via Facebook, you may find a general Thank You to everyone on there. My niece got married and had a baby recently and there was no mention of the gifts from me even on Facebook, I know she got the gifts. My son was a groomsman in his friends wedding 2 weeks ago and all the info connected with the wedding was on Facebook from gift registry info to where to get the tux, engagement party, etc. After awhile I think people will think it doesn't matter to acknowledge a gift or say thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@seaswirl 

The last three wedding gifts I sent went without "thank yous."

Each was either money or items valued at $300.

Seems to be the norm now.

All three couples were on my husband's side, and we met/knew them.  

They'll not see another gift from me in this lifetime.

I just chalk it up to bad manners.

Respected Contributor

i have a niece who never thanked me for gifts (usually sent money). she graduated from University in May.        I had sent a special card with a quote that i racked my brain searching for and a generous check. Not as much as a text message. she is 24!

My mother made sure i sent bread&butter notes and i still do. it's good manners.  seems etiquette is no longer fashionable.

Honored Contributor

I think it is common.

We went to a cousin's wedding. We traveled 1,200 miles, had to stay several days at hotels. We gave a generous cash gift. Never got any acknowlgement.