Honored Contributor

Re: No kids at my door for Halloween

@wagirl   I agree. We had loads of candy, but only maybe 15-20 kids...mostly at 6:30 and then a few straglers. Lights out here by 8. 

Honored Contributor

We're very rural and our house sits over 700 feet back from a main road, so we've never had any Trick or Treaters in the 20 years since we built this home.

And every year my DH buys a big bag of candy "just in case".  But we both know that he's buying it for himself!  And, indeed, there it sits on the kitchen counter now - not one single kid ringing the doorbell, of course.

So he says he'll "take one for the team" and eat it himself.  It's pure coicidence that he always buys the candy he likes.  Smiley Wink

Regular Contributor

I also had 5 bags of fun size candy.  Ididn't  have any children. What a disappointment.  This is the last year no more trick or treat for me. Now I have to try to get rid of the candy. I asked the mailman if he wanted a bag and he said he had enough the night before. I froze some of it or my husband would eat too much.

Honored Contributor

I live in the boonies, we never have kids....not one. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@just bee   After our 20,or so little ones came around for their candy...so cute, the older kids from other neighborhoods were driven over here, too.

I draw the line when 13-14 yr. olds come dressed in a minimal costume (a witches hat or crown) to get candy. Lights went out early. 

Honored Contributor

I was so dissappointed. I had  two huge bowls of mini candy bars and smarties and had not one child! I was so shocked because our cul de sac has a lot of kids, and the block surrounding have lots of kids as well, not sure why we didn't get any, but I didn't even see any kids out trick or treating and it was a nice sunny day!

Someone told me that parents are still leary because of Covid, and a lot of kids had parties at school, church, local zoo had a huge outing, so maybe that is why!!! Plus our local mall passes out candy every year-maybe parents felt safer with that! 

Valued Contributor

Our usual night was postponed because of rain so reschedule was Sunday night between 6-8:00.  I did not see as many out searching for treats.  I am stuck with a lot of candy!  And I am not a big candy fan.  I don't know if everyone was home because of the delay, watching football, or if the neighborhood has grown up.  Next year I will buy a third of what I did this year.  Or maybe the porch light will be off.

Respected Contributor

The last Halloween I participated in was many many years ago.  I was alone and answered the door and there was a lone grown man/older teen with a bag saying trick or treat.  It scared me.  I gave him what I had left and never opened the door for a stranger again...Now with dogs it would be a nightmare to do it.  I would have to stand outside to give out the candy.  Thank goodness I live in a gated senior community so don't have to worry.  I loved Halloween as a child but I think it is a holiday that should not include people going from door to door.  Not safe for the children or people answering the door.