Honored Contributor

Re: No friends, but I want one (or more!)

@Shanuswrote:

@winamac1wrote:

@Shanuswrote:

Another issue:  Being married, would like girlfriends for me, but couple friends for us to go out with. Sometimes the husbands of these women haven’t clicked. 

More pressure looking for 2 groups (forget groups...would settle for 3 friends & 3 couples) that mesh. DH meets mostly his tax clients & not a great idea to mix business w/ pleasure.

This is so true.  My husband is an engineer and fairly introverted.  I met a new friend about a year and a half ago at a yoga class, and we immediately hit it off.  We got the 4 of us together, and her husband is an engineer too.

We all had a nice time, but I don't think the 2 guys "clicked" per se.    They had quite a bit in common so I was really surprised.  They definitely didn't dislike each other and had a nice conversation, but the couple hasn't said anything about getting the 4 of us together again, LOL, and neither have I.  My friend and I still meet often!

@winamac1 ....but it’s not about me. @Helen Bach is the OP.

I was just commenting on your post.....

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@winamac1wrote:

@Shanuswrote:

@winamac1wrote:

@Shanuswrote:

Another issue:  Being married, would like girlfriends for me, but couple friends for us to go out with. Sometimes the husbands of these women haven’t clicked. 

More pressure looking for 2 groups (forget groups...would settle for 3 friends & 3 couples) that mesh. DH meets mostly his tax clients & not a great idea to mix business w/ pleasure.

This is so true.  My husband is an engineer and fairly introverted.  I met a new friend about a year and a half ago at a yoga class, and we immediately hit it off.  We got the 4 of us together, and her husband is an engineer too.

We all had a nice time, but I don't think the 2 guys "clicked" per se.    They had quite a bit in common so I was really surprised.  They definitely didn't dislike each other and had a nice conversation, but the couple hasn't said anything about getting the 4 of us together again, LOL, and neither have I.  My friend and I still meet often!

@winamac1 ....but it’s not about me. @Helen Bach is the OP.

I was just commenting on your post.....

@winamac1  I know, just felt badly that she started the thread and maybe needed more answers to her posts/questions. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I haven't moved, live in the same house for 40+ years. but now I live alone.    I have acquaintances, but not too many close friends.  I speak to  a lot of people in the neighborhood, but don't really do anything with them.  I have  3 or so ladies I meet for lunch throughout the year, but not too often.  The married ladies I see maybe two or three times a year.  Those that are widows -- we get together more often.  It is  lonely at times.  I do like being home and doing cooking for myself and gardening.  I've also been keeping a supply of library books on hand at all times.  People don't keep in touch like years ago.  I don't have siblings.  Also, now some of my friends are around ten years older than my age, don't live close now and don't drive. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy   I miss sending and receiving cards too.  Now so many don't even send holiday cards.   I have a dear friend I met many years ago when we were in the hospital together.  She is having health issues now and also doesn't use her computer.  (She previously would send the best e-mails and send them often.)  We send each other a card or note now every few weeks.

Valued Contributor

@Helen Bach

You sound like a sweetheart lady to me who would be an awesome friend. I noticed you said you have MS.  You rare very active and that is fantastic.  I hope you find a kindred spirit.  

I really like the idea of you taking a class of some sort.  Perhaps a cooking or baking class or something offered at a community college.

Esteemed Contributor

@Leiloniwrote:

@Daisy Sunflowerwrote:

There's a bowling center not too far from here that offers $1 bowling and $1 shoe rental twice a week...at certain times. It's a wonderful bargain.

@Daisy Sunflower, Do you have bowling for dollars there? I used to do that many yrs ago, what a blast & everyone was a good sport! L<3

@Leiloni  No, but that sounds like it would make the game more fun and interesting. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I think I'll join the YMCA and just go to the gym.  I just have a habit of joining gyms and being all gung-ho for a few weeks, then lose enthusiasm (because it's kinda work and so not fun to do by oneself)  Don't have the extra $ for a trainer......it is the only thing that seems like a positive step, although bowling for dollars does have a nice ring to it!

Trusted Contributor

@Helen Bachwrote:

I think I'll join the YMCA and just go to the gym.  I just have a habit of joining gyms and being all gung-ho for a few weeks, then lose enthusiasm (because it's kinda work and so not fun to do by oneself)  Don't have the extra $ for a trainer......it is the only thing that seems like a positive step, although bowling for dollars does have a nice ring to it!

@Helen Bach, That sounds like fun, lots of folks to talk with at the Y I'm sure. Also, I think you can ask them what machines you should use for what body part you want to work on. Most Gyms have group workouts too, that might be fun for you. As far as bowling for $, Helen we had such a fun time! I can't begin to tell you how everyone cheered everyone on, etc. I think you might like joining a bowling league, you will meet & make friends. If you can, I'd consider doing both. Wish we lived closer, I would go to the gym w/ you  & go bowling w/ you, why I bet we'd have a blast! Oh well, just wishful thinking on my part. When you begin to make more & closer friends, pls will you let us all know, ok? Have a blessed day, Helen!Heart

Trusted Contributor

@Daisy Sunflowerwrote:

@Leiloniwrote:

@Daisy Sunflowerwrote:

There's a bowling center not too far from here that offers $1 bowling and $1 shoe rental twice a week...at certain times. It's a wonderful bargain.

@Daisy Sunflower, Do you have bowling for dollars there? I used to do that many yrs ago, what a blast & everyone was a good sport! L<3

@Leiloni  No, but that sounds like it would make the game more fun and interesting. Smiley Happy

@Daisy, You will never know how much fun we all (there were four of us) had that night! I realize it was only bowling, but sometimes it's the little things in life that make our lives more exciting & fun! I met so many good people that night too. Since then, the bowling alley has been torn down, go figure & I haven't heard of anywhere that offers that sort of thing. Heck, at this point I'd settle for just bowling, forget the money, although it did make it more interesting & fun! Have a great day!Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99wrote:

My husband is my best friend and I don't know what I'd do without him. I've always had girlfriends, but it seemed once our kids grew up we grew apart. I never really discussed anything too personal with them because I was afraid they would betray me. Also, I did not like that they wanted to talk about s-x, I told them that for me it was private. When I volunteered for the Red Cross I had male friends, but it was more trouble than it was worth, if you know what I mean. I did have a few really nice older women friends in my 50's, but one moved away and the other got cancer and died. I agree with the other ladies that it is harder to make friends as we age, but like others I do start up conversations with ladies in line at the checkout, people can be very friendly.Helen Bach, I would maybe start there and hopefully you will click with someone. Also, come here and chat with us, I can tell you we always do not agree with each other, but it's a safe place.

@blackhole99, I could've written your post, in that my DH is MY best friend and he's all the company I need. I also do not discuss anything too personal with other women, for numerous reasons, and I don't want to talk about my sex life!

Most of the friends I have are people I encountered online years ago, some I've known for about 15 years, and we stay in touch on FB.

I don't want friends like I did when I was younger. I'd rather be alone or with my DH or family. I just don't want to invest the time and energy into a friendship; I am DONE with it all. I enjoy my own company and the company of my DH AND our pets. I am very happy being with all of them.

I'm a homebody anyway, so no need for a companion to go places with. I'm happy and comfortable at home.

I couldn't care less about cards and other snail mail - I'm fine with texting and email.... I guess because my kids do that and it's MUCH easier and more convenient.

What's the point of getting a card when all you're going to do is throw it away?

It's the thought that counts. A text or email would mean as much to me as any card.