Honored Contributor

Re: No friends, but I want one (or more!)

@ChiliPepperwrote:

@Shanuswrote:

@ChiliPepperwrote:

@Helen Bach

I hear ya! When I think about it, I have no real friends either.

I am friendly with a couple of girls & guys at work but I am so much older than some of them. We speak daily for a little bit & I text a little bit with one but we never do anything together outside of work.

My real friends are here I suppose. Gosh, I hope that doesn't sound pitiful LOL!!!

@ChiliPepper  We’re just discussing a situation. Pitiful? Not to me. I enjoy sharing feelings here.

@Shanus

@Helen Bach

I wasn't talking about anyone else, I was referring to myself.

I'm enjoying the discussion also. The OP Helen Bach made me really start thinking.

@ChiliPepper  No biggie. I get it.

Honored Contributor

D2BAD1FD-079C-4E3D-8D6E-7774D855D02B.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Here's a laugh for the day!!!!!

I had a wonderful day with my closest & dearest friend of 40+ years today.  She moved with "Mr. Wonderful"🙄 to Orlando because he convinced her it would be "paradise"!  She's been here about 2 years & lives in a over-55 also.  Her complex is comprised of mostly older people too.  The biggest complaint is she hasn't connected or met any friends....hmmm

must be a common thing.

We we're discussing this post because both of us just turned 62 (I moved here when I was 54) and we

are both experiencing the same issues, missing family, friends, work, etc.  as we both relocated & retired from our jobs for them.

This was really funny my spouse was sitting in the den & rarely pays attention.  He chirps in & says: "Let's put it in perspective stop whining you 2"

You're both semi-young, good looking and full of energy -- you think these old ladies want to hang out with YOU -- they are afraid their husbands will like you and dump them! Omg I never laughed so much 😂😂😂😂

I said "are you nutty?" He said I golf with these guys believe me they see a good young one especially here & their eyes drop out of their heads!"  

We got a big laugh for the next few hours & the funniest thing we went out to dinner early (4:00) because she was driving home tonight.  We go in Ruby Tuesday he was parking car, comes in & here we are chatting with these 2 older gentlemen....he gives us a smirk and says to us -- see I told you!!!!

I am still laughing over his generalization of our friend "dilemma"🤣 especially since he's probably one of those guys he described.  After all, he is soon to be 70 😮 but he is a good sport.

Seeing friends for me is the best pick me up!  We just decided to do a week getaway once I get my house done and Easter..I can't wait -- girls week and my 2 cousins are coming too.😀😀😀

Esteemed Contributor

Love it, love it!  You should be so elated!

Unfortunately, I have to say your DH is right!  Next time you go to Publix, just look around the store!    Don't even go to WM!!!!  lol

Esteemed Contributor

I know how you feel. I only see some neighbors when they are out to say hello. Been here 17 years. Other place 34 and they were mostly older but friendly when you took a walk arou nd with you r dog. I guess everyone works now. I told my son he is lucky since he has known some for 40 years. I do not drive or go to church.

Respected Contributor

@151949 I LOVE this story. It sounds very much like my school friends. Some of us have been close since 1st grade (1959!!).  Some of them know more about me (& know the real ME), better than my family.

Honored Contributor

@loisp Try getting out of your home and into the community. Volunteer or find a group you have similar interests with.I love to sew and as soon as we moved to Fl. I found a sewing club to join.I also volunteer at my church and our local foodbank. My DH & I both enjoy swimming and we joined the YMCA to swim in their olympic size pool.Going many times a week, we have made friends with the lifeguards and some other regular swimmers there. Friendships that matter take time - don't just go a few times and write it off. Keep going , be friendly, show an interest in other people. It will come.

Honored Contributor

Go to meetups.com.  They have walking groups, book clubs, etc. 

I recommended that to two of my friends!  They've met people after they moved to a new area.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight  Your very lucky - so am I with "my gang". Friendships like this are rare and precious.I recall at my Grams funeral - the other Gem ladies were all so devastated they were stunned. Just sat together holding on to each other and my grandpa.Speechless. One of them said to my Mom it they felt like they lost part of themselves.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 Walking groups are always a great way to meet new friends. You walk & chat and the friendships grow. Good suggestion.