Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: No Turkey for Thanksgiving

[ Edited ]

Over the years, we often had roast beef either instead of or in addition to either turkey or ham. Now, most of the time, we go out and I end up with salmon or sampling several items from a buffet that usually includes all these options. Sometimes, we have Italian...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Your menu sounds great @Katcat1

Last year I was invited to join friends for Thanksgiving dinner and arrived expecting the traditional meal.

They served spaghetti with homemade traditional 3" Italian meatballs instead. Although the meal was delicious, I went expecting turkey and wished I'd been warned in advance.

The next day I was at the local family deli buying the sliced turkey and cranberry relish I was still craving. 

I would have done the same!  I've been to Thanksgiving dinners ranging from very large to quite small, and I have hosted many Thanksgivings myself.  I've never had a Thanksgiving without turkey, and I don't want to!

Guess I'm a traditional girl.  :-)

Contributor

I'm 64, had 5 kids and then added several 'granddemons' to the mix. I did the whole tablecloth, festive matching tableware and serving pieces, the fancy schmancy silver, etc, for every Thanksgiving and Christmas for many years. My family loved it and so did I.

However, my husband died and after the shock and sadness wore off I retired. I sold my house plus most of the contents that I deemed 'not necessary ', and moved to a small but sufficient apartment several states away. My kids/'granddemons' are scattered in 3 states, so I visit them or they visit me as time and schedules and money permit.

I usually choose to go for a holiday dinner to a restaurant with a close friend, if family won't be near.

This year I subscribed to Blue Apron, and will be preparing turkey with fresh cranberries, mashed potatoes, and Brussels sprouts at home...but will most likely find somewhere to go later in the day for a decadent dessert and coffee.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I decided that I will pick up a rotissaire chicken from the grocery store, make fresh sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce & brussel sprouts.  That's it for me.  Anyone else not having turkey?  What's your menu?  Cat Very Happy

What time should I be there Smiley Happy

I would rather have chicken, not a fan of turkey after 35 years of having my m-i-l kill it a second time in the oven.

She rips out the pop-up button (doesn't trust those things) and cooks it until the legs are falling away from the rest of the bird.

Trusted Contributor

Roasting a chicken and making ham dressing...that is our family recipe and I have never met anyone else who ever heard of ham dressing but we love it.  No sage in it.  Our family is Italian so I don't know if it is an Italian creation or not.  Also, roasted vegetable, big tossed salad, fruited jello and of course pumpkin, lemon meringue and mincemeat pie.

Honored Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

Roasting a chicken and making ham dressing...that is our family recipe and I have never met anyone else who ever heard of ham dressing but we love it.  No sage in it.  Our family is Italian so I don't know if it is an Italian creation or not.  Also, roasted vegetable, big tossed salad, fruited jello and of course pumpkin, lemon meringue and mincemeat pie.

My father loved mincemeat pie.  I haven't thought of that in a long time.

Honored Contributor

Mom always made a turkey, I made the turkey and took it there after she got ill, last year and this year I will make a turkey beast and take it to dads, not one likes or eats the dark meat.

For me its about the salad and the stuffing and the cranberry sauce. I am not a fan of turkey, no matter how well it is prepared it is always dry.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm also traditional and want turkey for thanksgiving. But, couldn't imagine making one of those big turkeys!! It's just my mother and myself and we make one of those 3lb boneless, skinless turkey breasts. I watch it like crazy and it comes out great every time.

I am otherwise not traditional with the sides and usually make something different each year - whatever recipe looks good.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

absolutely LOVE turkey and would miss it if it wasnt a part of the big meal......and the dressing would not be the same without all of the turkey juices that get added to it. we also serve pork and sauerkraut......along with all of the other side dishes......mashed potatoes, gravy, caesar salad, saffron glazed baby carrots, haricots verts,  homemade cranberry relish, rolls, yogurt with cucumber and mint, maybe some candied yams.

i like it to stay traditional.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I love roast turkey breast, and this time of year you can get lovely fresh whole breasts. They're easy to roast. I like to make a special potato dish, sautéed green beans with fresh mushrooms, and I also roast yam slices until they are brown and tender. I have some delicious and unusual fruits and cheeses after. Fuyu persimmons. Carambola. Stilton. Whatever I find that is a treat. No dressing, desserts, bread, cranberries for me...they take up too much valuable space in my tummy. Next day, turkey sandwiches with leftovers, yes, please!