Honored Contributor

Re: No Surprise Here, But Saddened

[ Edited ]

I'm following the guidelines of my state.  We are at level 3 so I'm doing what level 3 requires.  That way, at least, I have peace knowing that I did what was deemed best (at the time) by the doctors and scientists for myself and my fellowman and will have no regrets. The medical folks may not have all the answers but they sure know more than I do. 

Esteemed Contributor

I watched part of an interview with a public official (I missed what state he was from). He spoke against wearing a mask because he said he doesn't want to be told what to do. The interviewer asked if he wears a seat belt...oh yes...well, that's a law, admitted the official. The interviewer continued to ask about following rules for the sake of safety for ourselves and others. Why masks have become a sign of masculinity vs wimpiness is beyond me. The proof is that ever since we Americans were let out, too many of us went haywire, wasted three months of quarantine, and increased the spread of Covid in half our states.

Respected Contributor

@Vivian 

Valid observations.  I am baffled by comments that insist that personal freedoms are being taken away.  Societies have had rules so that all individuals can exist peacefully together for good of each.  Just like in airpanes and putting away cell phones - rules are for others and I can do what I want. 😢😢

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Just a observation about people!!!

A young child was behind me today at Dollar Tree.  He was holding his bag of popcorn & had a card.  

Now, I know he meant no harm to me or others BUT some ignorant know it all "mask police" woman said to him : "you're in her space (not behind orange line but not directly near me) don't you know about social distancing or don't you care"!!

Needless to say, I was po'd how dare this older lady speak 1) on my behalf and 2) chastise a 9 year old (he looked about this age).

I told her to mind her own business & he's a child.   If she was so worried about getting sick stay home😡....normally, I'd just do the eye roll but c'mon a kid!!  By the way, he had a bandana on!!!

Grrrrrr sick of people "policing" others😡

If we could control others there would be no reason for jails. No drunk or stoned driving, no murder no crime whatsoever. I stay home and control myself. This whole mask police thing is ridiculous. 

Respected Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@Bhvbum Just to clarify. The people that got the virus got it because selfish people didn't wear masks or social distance.

The people that haven't gotten the virus have avoided it because they are lucky & they will get it because of selfish people that won't wear face masks & social distance.

The seat belt issue is a totally different issue. My seat belt did actually save me from going through the windshield when a driven pulled out in front of me. I was smart/lucky to be wearing it.

If that were the case medical workers would only need to wear masks to protect themselves. There is no absolute proof that with masks and distancing you cannot contract this virus. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@shopperqvc wrote:

I'm sorry you had to struggle during the pandemic.  

Your governor sounds smart.  So many died. So many carry the virus without having symptoms.  I can't imagine your dentist or you wanting to catch it.  I know I wouldn't want anyone's face that close to mine given how it's passed.

Don't stress over semantics.  Unnecessary isn't a bad word.  It never occurred to me that it was saying people were unnecessary. It just represents certain jobs that can be left undone for a while or that are too dangerous given the way covid is transmitted.  I know I wouldn't want my dentist's face that close to mine right now.   

I was the very first patient my eye surgeon cancelled the day they had to shut down so I've struggled with warped vision for nearly 3 months. I would rather struggle than die.  I finally got it done last week after passing a covid test and meeting a dozen other precautions.  

Yes, a lot of people think only of themselves.   Who knows how many will pass the virus to others, some of whom will die.  The "it's all about me" attitude is ruining our society.

I have a friend who truly believes there is a world-wide conspiracy to control people by making up covid and the need to wear masks.  She thinks 100,000 dying in 3 months is part of that conspiracy.  Sadly, she's not the only one who thinks this way.

There are countless people who devote themselves to doing good things for others - before, during and after the pandemic.  There are a lot of good people in the world.  Watch for them instead of just offenders.

You sound so angry and that can't be good for you. IMO, the best medicine is to reach out and help someone... charity, food bank, church, friends, family.  Go for a walk.  Sit outside for a while.  Read a good book. Or maybe contact a professional.

@CalminHeart, yes there are people out there like that. I saw just one example on the news last when they were interviewing a man at a very raucous combination protest/political rally. The man said that the virus is a hoax perpetrated by those who want to control us.

You saw one example. They probably had to search long and hard for that one example. This is what the media loves to do. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lali1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@shopperqvc wrote:

I'm sorry you had to struggle during the pandemic.  

Your governor sounds smart.  So many died. So many carry the virus without having symptoms.  I can't imagine your dentist or you wanting to catch it.  I know I wouldn't want anyone's face that close to mine given how it's passed.

Don't stress over semantics.  Unnecessary isn't a bad word.  It never occurred to me that it was saying people were unnecessary. It just represents certain jobs that can be left undone for a while or that are too dangerous given the way covid is transmitted.  I know I wouldn't want my dentist's face that close to mine right now.   

I was the very first patient my eye surgeon cancelled the day they had to shut down so I've struggled with warped vision for nearly 3 months. I would rather struggle than die.  I finally got it done last week after passing a covid test and meeting a dozen other precautions.  

Yes, a lot of people think only of themselves.   Who knows how many will pass the virus to others, some of whom will die.  The "it's all about me" attitude is ruining our society.

I have a friend who truly believes there is a world-wide conspiracy to control people by making up covid and the need to wear masks.  She thinks 100,000 dying in 3 months is part of that conspiracy.  Sadly, she's not the only one who thinks this way.

There are countless people who devote themselves to doing good things for others - before, during and after the pandemic.  There are a lot of good people in the world.  Watch for them instead of just offenders.

You sound so angry and that can't be good for you. IMO, the best medicine is to reach out and help someone... charity, food bank, church, friends, family.  Go for a walk.  Sit outside for a while.  Read a good book. Or maybe contact a professional.

@CalminHeart, yes there are people out there like that. I saw just one example on the news last when they were interviewing a man at a very raucous combination protest/political rally. The man said that the virus is a hoax perpetrated by those who want to control us.

You saw one example. They probably had to search long and hard for that one example. This is what the media loves to do. 

@Lali1, well, we all know that MOST people follow the rules. It's not news. But apparently those who don't are affecting all of us now. You do know that in almost half the states, we are seeing the increase if infections going up, along with positivity and hospitalization rates, at a dangerous clip; right?

Just today I saw a clip of a some people speaking (to put it kindly) to their local officials about a new mask mandate. Suffice it to say that they were less than rational, to the point that I wished I had turned the channel sooner.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

i wear a mask and i do not condem those who do not.

Respected Contributor

First venture into a restaurant since early March.  It was lunch with nice spacing of tables, reservations, tables marked sanitized.  Felt very comfortable.  DH and I wore our masks in, left on until we ordered,  then removed.  Easy peasy.  I did note some patrons did not wear masks.  Gosh it was pleasant.