Trusted Contributor

Re: No Surprise Here, But Saddened

It seems so simple to me.  All we have to do is wear a mask, maintain the social distance, and wash our hands.  These simple things may mean that less people in our country die.  It's not brain surgery.    

Super Contributor

@Dusty1 

AMEN...Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

People know that the virus exits, they are just over the fear, panic and hysteria about it.

It's going to blend in to our lives like the flu.

Even when a vaccine is found, not everyone is going to get it.

As it is now, not everybody gets the yearly flu shot, yet we don't shut down the economy because of it.

So, are we going to stay away from others for the next 50 years?

That is totally and completely unrealistic.

We have to get back to some semblance of "normal".

Yes, there will be precautions, such as masks, p!exiglass, but we can't keep hiding out in our homes forever.

For those with health issues, stay home.

For those who are too scared, stay home.

But for the rest of us, we accept the reality that the world is still going to rotate in its axis, and the risks that come with it.

Nobody gets out of this life alive.

But we cannot continue to put Life in hold.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Where was this little boy's mom, or person taking care of him?

Honored Contributor

Saying I'm free to do what I choose - well with that reasoning then I am free to steal, kill, beat someone senseless, spit on grocery items and I am free to ignore laws!!  All I can say is that those who make light of all this probably will change their tune if they or a loved one dies from it.  There have been many social media posts from some who got it and posted that now they see it's real and that they were the sickest they ever were.........  hard way to realize this!!   If those who refuse to follow guidelines and even mandates - well it would be fine if they were the  only ones getting sick and dying but that is not the case!

For me I will continue to follow the guidelines of the medical experts for the good of all!! 

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Saying I'm free to do what I choose - well with that reasoning then I am free to steal, kill, beat someone senseless, spit on grocery items and I am free to ignore laws!!  All I can say is that those who make light of all this probably will change their tune if they or a loved one dies from it.  There have been many social media posts from some who got it and posted that now they see it's real and that they were the sickest they ever were.........  hard way to realize this!!   If those who refuse to follow guidelines and even mandates - well it would be fine if they were the  only ones getting sick and dying but that is not the case!

For me I will continue to follow the guidelines of the medical experts for the good of all!! 

And too, SOME of us over the age of 75 actually have active, busy, CONTRIBUTING LIVES, so however easy it is for someone who thinks wearing a mask is "too uncomfortable" or "makes me look funny", that is also choosing their "freedom" at the expense of someone else.

Mr. Rogers' mom- "Look to the Helpers"......

My mom- "Don't be part of the PROBLEM- Be part of the SOLUTION".

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

@BaileyQ 

That would be a newsworthy revelation/investigation.  How many of these party people come down ill.....

I've read a number of stories about people who refused to wear masks or practice self-distancing who have come down with the virus or became carriers.  

Several protestors have died of covid.  Others have really suffered but recovered.  

In my state, one minister refused to close the church during the pandemic and now 43% of those who attended services have had covid or had family members get covid.  

If someone doesn't like to wear a mask, they'll hate the ventilator.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dusty1 wrote:

Ok. So there is no real proof that any of the measures that are being taken can prevent the spread of anything. A cold. The flu. Or Covid 19. 

And, honestly, putting a mask over your face after you have touched everything (All of the things, including your face while you are putting the mask on.) isn't going to stop you from spreading germs. 

If you know that you have any illness, it is wise to stay home. 

But, we can not stop living our lives because of fear.

If you believe that a mask protects you & or other people. Wear one.

Wash your hands every chance that you get.

If you see someone out & they are not wearing a mask do not approach them. Stay away from them. You take care of you in the way that you choose to.

You know what helps no one. Calling others idiots.. calling people names, because you believe something, because you think that you are right, it serves no purpose. 

You can explain why you feel that way that you feel & you may change someone's mind. You may not. Call them an idiot...what have you done? 

I think the word, idiot, is being kind about those who care only about themselves and don't think of their impact on others. It's pure selfishness. We DO know that people can be carriers and not have any symptoms. We DO know that it's contagious.  We DO know that people can have covid at least a couple of weeks before they show symptoms.  

100,000 dead people and their families disagree with you.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Just a observation about people!!!

A young child was behind me today at Dollar Tree.  He was holding his bag of popcorn & had a card.  

Now, I know he meant no harm to me or others BUT some ignorant know it all "mask police" woman said to him : "you're in her space (not behind orange line but not directly near me) don't you know about social distancing or don't you care"!!

Needless to say, I was po'd how dare this older lady speak 1) on my behalf and 2) chastise a 9 year old (he looked about this age).

I told her to mind her own business & he's a child.   If she was so worried about getting sick stay home😡....normally, I'd just do the eye roll but c'mon a kid!!  By the way, he had a bandana on!!!

Grrrrrr sick of people "policing" others😡

It's not all about you.  Perhaps the bigger point is how to teach the child to think about others instead of being selfish and inconsiderate.

Valued Contributor

Several years ago I went to a hospital for a test. The only people I saw that whole time was my doctor and several nurses. The test went just fine, but a little over 1 week later, I came down with the worse case of stomach flu I had in many years. Someone passed it on to me at the hospital. From that time until now, I stay away from doctor's offices, hospitals and nursing homes during flu & cold season. I learned my lesson.

This viruse situation, to me, is no different. People are sick, so stay away from them.

The thing that bothers me about this whole situation is the terms that everyone is using. ESSENTIAL. The oppocite is unnecessary. Some people are essential, others are not.

Where I live, you have only been able to see a doctor, or get in to the hospital, if you may have the COVID-19 virus. Heart doctors are not essential. Sorry, I think they are very necessary. Pulmonary doctors are not necessary. Dentists are not necessary. It's like everything else has stopped.

My Governor has threatened anyone who doesn't obey HIS orders. I broke a tooth several weeks ago. I could not get in for my appointment since the dentist was not on the list of essential people. Infection set in. Still not necessary. Finally after several weeks and a few prescriptions of an antibiotic I was able to get in and get the tooth pulled. Want to bet had my Governor broken a tooth he would have been in his dentist's chair that same sfternoon, not over 2 months later?

People do not adapt well to being called unnecessary, and their work also called unnecessary. And never in our history has the education of our children been stopped. No matter what type of illness swept the country, they have never closed the schools and churches before. But, they did quarantine those that were sick. They did not lock up those that were well. We were forced to stay in our home when I had Rheumatic Fever and another time when I had the German Measles. There was an orange sticker on our front door, and we could not leave until I was checked out by a doctor that came to the house and declared me to be well again. But, the school was not closed, and our neighbors were not forced to stay home.

Today people think only of themselves. Proof? Sit near a stop sign and watch to see how many actually come to a complete stop and allow the person to their right to have the right of way. Most will roll through. Some will only slow down. A few won't even do that. Me first is the way many today live. "I am the only one that matters". Another proof, how many obey speed limit signs today. Those are for the people that are driving slowly, and only a suggestion not a law.

If people were told, you are sick you must stay home, the majority would say they had to go out.