Honored Contributor

Shoot, I'd walk over and mingle with the men while the women are giving each other lap dances.Woman LOL

If there's no men around, pull out your compact and swipe on some red lipstick.  (I'd actually do nude, but whatever.)

I don't believe that looks fade, it's simply not true.  Sometimes you just have to bump it up a little.

And by the way, I bet you look great!

Trusted Contributor

@AuntGwrote:

That is a very interesting topic. You know that you dress and look nice so compliments would be expected.  Maybe they do slow down around age 60. One thing I'm guilty of is giving compliments to people who "fish" for them. I have a friend who constantly talks about how artistic she is. Being that I have no talent for art, color, accessories......I sometimes feed into her desire for compliments by saying she is so talented (by the way, most people don't think her art is anything special).  My conclusion is that you have it all together, and appear happy with yourself. While you would love a compliment, you don't appear to need them. That's a positive thing.

@AuntG Great post! If I were you I'd stop giving your friend compliments until she decides to give you a few. You sound like a beautiful, sincere person & nowadays that's hard to find! I'm sorry for stepping out of line about your artist friend, I don't usually do this, pls pardon me. But, I would love to hear about her complimenting you. You sound like a very special person, a rarity & that is positive any way you look at it! Take care!

Trusted Contributor

@KitTkatwrote:

@HouseMouse

I'd like to compliment you for your boldness in addressing this subject. We all need to do our part in this world by encouraging others. Kindness goes both ways, and if you keep sharing kindness through remarks, actions and good deeds, that kindness will be given to you in return. May you find many blessings today.

@KitTkat  you are just as kind as you are funny! That's super kind, BTW!

Honored Contributor

Reading the long, though-out post the OP written, I was anxious to begin contributing my thoughts of his/her disconnect w/ her friends, etc.

Then I read the last sentence,

’I do not need or want any nasty comments’

Wow....I think that might be the issue. 

That unsavory attitude might be carrying over to personal relationships.

Honored Contributor

@HouseMouse

Excuse me if someone already said this, but it's possible people are taking you for granted because they know and expect that you will always look nice.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Leiloni, my friend is the oldest of four, but has none of the characteristics that oldest children typically have (unless bossiness counts LOL). I give her so much leeway because she had a highly critical mother and alcoholic father.  I think her need to be noticed stems from an unhappy childhood.  It's pretty easy for me to overlook the bad and try to see the good in her. She's older than me and I got to know her when I was planning my wedding.  She stepped in and offered a lot of suggestions which were helpful.

Trusted Contributor

@Catlady Nicolewrote:

I can identify with this.  I've been feeling invisible lately.  I'll be 44 this summer and this past year, I've really noticed I've "disappeared" to others.  I've been toying with getting something "fancy" done with my hair color, I think my natural VERY dark brown is washing me out.  I've tried a half dozen stylists in the last 5 years, and none can seem to give me a good cut that works with my hair, so I keep reverting to my usual style, which I think is aging me too. 

I try to buy clothes with color, and have been accessorizing more lately.  I do notice when I wear a necklace or scarf, people do comment on those things. 

I just started wearing makeup in the last 10 years.  For a while for a while it made me feel confident, but now I feel like I can't leave the house without it.  I feel washed out, sallow even.  No glow.  No radiance. 

Honestly, I think this all works back to my exhaustion.  I'm just so tired.  I haven't felt rested in a few years.  I see my doctor and we just never get a solution to my fatigue.  It makes me sad, I used to feel pretty, and felt like I had fairly effortless "beauty" and style. 

So for now, I just keep trying new things in hopes of finding a winning combination Smiley Happy

@Catlady Nicole You're not even 44 yet & no compliments! Honey, it's not you, it's this crazy world! Don't trip on it, compliment yourself in the mirror, stay positive & know this sweetie, your day will come! Your post broke my heart, people are so cruel at times, I feel your pain, but pain turns into gain, your gain!!!Heart

Trusted Contributor

@AuntGwrote:

@Leiloni, my friend is the oldest of four, but has none of the characteristics that oldest children typically have (unless bossiness counts LOL). I give her so much leeway because she had a highly critical mother and alcoholic father.  I think her need to be noticed stems from an unhappy childhood.  It's pretty easy for me to overlook the bad and try to see the good in her. She's older than me and I got to know her when I was planning my wedding.  She stepped in and offered a lot of suggestions which were helpful.

@AuntG You are a such a sweetheart! The world needs more you's. I feel for how your friend had to grow up, helps me understand, thx. I don't know about the bossiness, but that was funny!Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@KitTkatwrote:

@Leiloni

I think you're beautiful. I didn't know you have been through so much in your marriages, and I'm especially sorry you aren't having the happiest times right now in this marriage. But you just spoke from your heart and it shows and I know you are a fighter and a winner no matter what. 🌹

@KitTkat  Thank you so much! I'm really not that unhappy, but I sure could be happier, a lot happier! I am a fighter, but I haven't been called a winner in at least 15 yrs, you made my day & my entire 2018!!! Thank you again, to the moon & back!!! Heart

Valued Contributor

Hi LillysMom, I liked your last post  immensely, gave me food for thought.I do agree with you about a workforce face so to speak part of our life,a great deal of it. I come from a nursing background and have always felt women react totally different to other women. Since I had to give up working earlier than expected , I to have enjoyed life more with hubby and in general.enjoy life more than I did working. I think when I say I feel invisible it is more out socially with many people I do not know. Somehow there is less acknowledgment of the person, am I making any sense? Yes, anytime you get a compliment about a ring that is special to yourself is an added bonus. I still think men age differently and are still more comfortable in their own skin. I do hope I made some sense probably got off track too! I like talking with you.