Super Contributor

I am in the market for a new washer and dryer. My question is should i go with a agitator or no agitator? My washer is about 15 yrs old and on it's last legs.

Trusted Contributor

There have been many discussions about this -- you might want to search Forums and find  those helpful posts.

Trusted Contributor

@plc123  We bought a new w/d a while back and it is a no agitator. I love it because clothes don't get stuck around it anymore. 

Honored Contributor

@plc123   I have a no agitator one and really like it.  It was annoying to have to unwind clothing wrapped around the agitator.  I also found that I can do larger loads now.

Honored Contributor

When it comes to appliances, I'm all about keeping things basic...no-frills and no electronic controls either. That's difficult to find today.

My washer/dryer set is over 35yo and I'm expecting one or the other to stop working. I would repair my Maytag washer if at all possible but maybe that won't happen. The dryer is not too much of concern to just replace that instead of repairing my old one. 

Here's a no-frills, basic operation set for under $1K. The agitator washer (agitators clean better!)  has deep-water level option which many do not have. I have Amana appliances in my kitchen and have had no problems with them whatsoever. An Amana washer/dryer is next on my list for appliances. Made in the USA. Amana products are Maytag/Whirlpool manufactured.

Under $1000 for this Amana at my Home Depot or at Best Buy:

download (1).jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@plc123 wrote:

I am in the market for a new washer and dryer. My question is should i go with a agitator or no agitator? My washer is about 15 yrs old and on it's last legs.

@plc123 I have had all three types, front loader, top loader both with and without an agitator and all did the job as intended.  If your choice is a top loader and a large capacity make sure you can comfortably reach the bottom of the drum. I can reach mine but my daughter who is about 5'4 cannot so she uses a grabber to get the last few items.  Mine is non agitator so it's great for sheets, blankets, towels etc, I really like it.

Honored Contributor

I like plain and simple, not a lot of bells and whistles, love my Hotpoint with agitator. From 2013

Super Contributor

Thanks to all of you. 

Respected Contributor

@plc123 Good luck in your quest for a new washer/dryer.  My washer quit last year and it broke my heart.  My new washer takes one Hour just to wash where my old Westinghouse model took only 20 minutes.  Boo hoo, I am told this is now standard across the board.  My new one is from Sears and no agitator.

Esteemed Contributor

@plc123  My Electrolux does not have an agitator.  The reason that I have this brand is because it is better for laundries on a second floor--must be something with the spin cycle.  I would not have known that if I had not asked if there was a charge to deliver on the second floor and the sales person (this was not at a big box store but a long-time local appliance business) was very well versed in the washers.  My first choice was a Speed Queen, which was much more expensive, but the sales person told me that it would not be a good choice for my laundry location.  Anyway, it washes beautifully, no service calls, and going strong after 6 years.  Normally, I would never think that 6 years was a long time for an appliance, but they just do not make them the same way anymore.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!